• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Finally it's warm enough to have my first BBQ. Octopus tentacles were first boiled then later threaded on skewers. Brushed with some oil, sprinkled on some thyme and that's about it.

zDXq4Nq.jpg

Simpler than last year's first BBQ but it's still nice and I have waited long enough for this perfect temperature (20C).

d8lceQb.jpg

• Like 12

Curried cauliflower, potatoes and peas from Julie Sahni's  Classic Indian Cooking. Thank you, Anna N. for reminding me of this awhile ago. There was also a dal of yellow split peas from the same book and a cucumber, tomato and yogurt salad neither of which were very photogenic.. And I made some naan. 

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Trying to get back into the swing of things after 16 days on the road then 4 days down the shore.  Made a less than stellar meatloaf with some killer roasted sweet potatoes, onions and carrots with olive oil and some herbs.  The meatloaf works when lightly reheated on the stove then made into a sandwich with some tomatoes.  Roasted a double chicken breast on the bone and used some of it with the drippings to make tetrazzini with some mushrooms, first English peas and a topping of potato chips as well as some quesadillas with the chicken, some salsa and guac.  I've been eating on some Spanish rice I had made with some Ro-tel tomatoes.

Dinner is going to be breakfast as soon as the hubs gets done with chores - homefries, toast, scrambled eggs and bacon.  Tomorrow we decided it will be pizza and salad.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Mexican food isn't really part of this German's repertoire (and besides, those Plantains were getting a bit ripe to try my hand at making Mofongo, which I did anyway just to try out the recipe), so here is Steak, Guacamole, and my Mofongo test ( I know, doesn't belong here...). It was fresh and actually tasty. 

image.jpeg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

so we have a zillion rabbits here that are decimating our garden.  I've been lamenting over on the gardening thread.  The other night NINE of them invaded as we watched.  So, we are having to exterminate a bit.  I had three last night to do something with.  I wanted to sous vide one last night but my husband really wanted fried rabbit so I froze one and fried and then pressure cooked the other two.

Marinated in buttermilk for a while

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.JPG

EXCELLENT .... and you know what they have been eating,   

One of the first things I ever hunted as a kid was rabbit,

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tonight's blue plate special for me and number 2 son was SV'd bone-in ribeye. We made steak-on-a-bun with some mushrooms and some home-made buns. 

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight I made a recipe called Sweet and Spicy Shrimp with Rice Noodles.  Except I used Shiritaki instead of rice noodles in the interest of saving some calories.   I also made double the sauce as we like sauce.  Which meant that I used a 1/4 cup of sambal oelek and, having finished my share a little while ago,  I still have steam coming out of my ears.  The recipe also called for a Thai chili which I smartly deseeded before it went into that pot. I think I'll leave that out next time.

20160505_192521.jpg

• Like 12

Lovely meals everyone. I've got hit with a vertigo and nausea.  I can't really walk straight and everything kinds of spin around, even scrolling makes me dizzy. :S

Couldn't do much of eating most of the day, and come evening all I craved for was toasted bread, extra dry. 

Got myself a slice of store bought multigrain bread in the toaster to browen, then a minute more in the microwave to get every last poor bit of water out. 

I ate my toast warm and plain. Without butter or salt. At the time, this was the most delicious of things. Wheaty, nutty and crisp. 

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:48 PM, huiray said:

Morels, asparagus, ramps, thyme, tagliardi.

DSCN9062a_600.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN9047a_400.jpgDSCN9048a_400.jpg

DSCN9052a_600.jpg

Alziari EV olive oil, Sèvre & Belle Charentes-Poitou Beurre demi-sel, sliced ramp bulbs; morels, thyme; asparagus, sliced ramp greens; just-cooked Cipriani tagliardi; toss/stir in pan, serve.

I don't think it is possible to create a meal with more spring in it then this. 

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

52 minutes ago, shain said:

Lovely meals everyone. I've got hit with a vertigo and nausea.  I can't really walk straight and everything kinds of spin around, even scrolling makes me dizzy. :S

Couldn't do much of eating most of the day, and come evening all I craved for was toasted bread, extra dry. 

Got myself a slice of store bought multigrain bread in the toaster to browen, then a minute more in the microwave to get every last poor bit of water out. 

I ate my toast warm and plain. Without butter or salt. At the time, this was the most delicious of things. Wheaty, nutty and crisp. 

Sometimes the simplest thing is exactly the right thing. Hope you feel better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shain said:

I don't think it is possible to create a meal with more spring in it then this. 

shain, you are too kind. Thanks. There are others who also create wondrous spring meals too. (and at other times) Look at mm84321's posts, for example.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Quail on the menu tonight.

Marinated earlier in the day with garlic, lemon zest, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil.  About an hour or so before grilling added the juice of a whole lemon.

Interesting. I was looking at the quail in the market just an hour ago and thinking "shall I?"

In the end, instead I went for fish for later tonight.

But you have given me an idea for tomorrow.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I thought this would be both a late lunch and late dinner but it was we liked it so much there won't be any left for a late dinner.  We'll probably just have a snack later on instead.   It's chicken thighs with mushrooms, bacon, shallots and egg noodles.

Noodles were cooked in chicken broth and cream with a little fresh dill. 

DSCN3479.jpg

• Like 12

Steak dinner tonight at the HC domicile. Deb like hers medium. I like mine rare. We both like our baked potatoes crispy. I have gotten pretty good at making it all happen, this time with roasted asparagus.

HC

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9

Chicken breast roasted with vegetables (fennel, potatoes, tomatoes, lots of garlic) and olives.

DSC01000.jpg

• Like 14

Happened upon a vegetable market while waiting for a store to open to inspect my fire extinguisher.  Never did get my extinguisher dealt with but came home with a lot of fresh veggies.  Used some of my haul to make dinner tonight along with an aged strip steak that got a little too over done on the grill after a 119f SV bath.  I think it was on the grill a total of 5 min to get some color and smoke flavor.   Still tasty though 

image.jpeg

• Like 14

Picked up Black Silkie chicken eggs from a local Chinese grocery [East Asia Market].  Eggs from the breed are small, with little white but large orange yolks.

Fried/scrambled some up and ate them with the rest of the "gussied-up rice" from here.

DSCN9108a_400.jpgDSCN9112a_400.jpg

DSCN9115a_600.jpg

• Like 7

"Singapore Laksa La Mian" [Prima Taste] (this one) (or look here), augmented with chopped fresh daun kesum (a.k.a. Vietnamese coriander), tau pok each sliced in two, mung bean sprouts & large wild shrimp (each halved lengthwise), plus shucked fresh blood cockles** (or clams?) right at the end.

** I suspect these may well have come from Cape Cod (see here for an article on them) and may or may not be bearded ark clams alternatively. Other US East Coast locations are certainly possible. Blood cockles are grouped under ark clams, it would seem.

On the way there:

DSCN9106aC_400.jpgDSCN9124aC_400.jpg

DSCN9118a_400.jpgDSCN9120b_400.jpg

Bowled & garnished w/ sprigs of daun kesum.

DSCN9129a_600.jpg

It's only recently that I've seen fresh, live blood cockles/clams in these parts. These are considered by some to be essential for a bowl of curry laksa, including laksa lemak, whether Nyonya-style or KL-style or Katong-style or whatever (They DO NOT go with assam laksa). I for one missed having a bowl or two of laksa with fresh "see hum" (rendition in Cantonese for this type of cockle) in the USA – remedied now. (Frozen packaged pre-cooked blood cockles are available - they are seldom good) They are also widely known as 血蚶 in Chinese, literally "blood clam/cockle".

(I styled this rendition with thoughts of Katong Laksa in mind, keeping the ingredients to what would go into that style, but this is NOT a true bowl of "Katong Laksa")

ETA: These fresh blood cockles were appreciably larger than the traditional "see hum" seen/found and used in laksa and in many other dishes (e.g. char kway teow) in SE Asia. These were around 2½ inches across on average, with bearded shells (see the picture), whereas the "see hum" usually found in SE Asia tend to be only 1½ inches across or so and usually have unbearded/"clean-shaven" shells.

I've posted earlier renditions of augmented (and un-augmented) "Prima Taste Singapore Laksa La Mian" here on eG. See here for a summary for some and links to the various posts.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

Got back on my feet :) 

Vegetarian stir fried noodles with portobello and shiitake mushrooms, pak choi, seitan, plenty of scallions, roasted cashew.  Sauce based on orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, dry chili, anise and fennel seeds, black pepper and a touch of cinnamon.
With no suitable egg noodles to be found, only short and thin soup noodles, I opted to choose some good dry pappardelle pasta, cooked in alkaline water. The noodles were better then any dry noodle I had sampled.

20160506_203126.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Shrimp, tomatoes, scallions in a cream sauce over capellini. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@huiray, I spend a good amount of time on Cape Cod, and those clams are sometimes available in the fish market I like out there. I also find lots of their shells on the beach.  The fishmonger told me that most of them are exported to Asia, they are not really popular here because of their bloody appearance.  I have not bought any yet because I always go to the market with my sister and she is squicked out by their appearance.  How is their flavor as compared to, say, littlenecks?

The other night I bought some crabmeat to try and replicate a crab linguini recipe I had at a restaurant.  Supposedly it was fresh Maryland crabmeat.  Supposedly.

crab linguini.jpg

Yeah, no.  This crabmeat was SO fishy!  Totally inedible and ruined my dinner.  I had to throw it out and make everyone omelets.  I am going to the store where I bought it and asking for my money back this morning.  The other food markets offer double your money back if you buy fish or meat that is off, so I will be interested to see how this market responds to my request (WEGMAN'S ). I don't want double my money back, but I spent $50 for this crappy crab, so I would at least like some recompense.

Dinner was much better on Thursday.  I made a Mexican chicken soup.  Very tasty.

mexican chicken soup.jpg

• Like 11