• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Gorgeous meals, everyone! @Thanks for the Crepes, a very Happy Birthday to you! I will be in West Memphis tomorrow; perhaps I will go to Pancho's in your honor!

Plain old "country cooking" dinner last night: Pork chop, seared in cast iron and finished in oven, skillet fried potatoes with onions, purple hulled peas from the freezer, with sweet tomato relish.

pork chop.JPG

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I let the fishmonger do the deep-frying and I put the rest together at home myself. Quark with garlic, dill, parsley, cucumber, capers.

rnciP6A.jpg

Sauce and more cod

tEsxAJk.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 13

Morels, asparagus, ramps, thyme, tagliardi.

DSCN9062a_600.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN9047a_400.jpgDSCN9048a_400.jpg

DSCN9052a_600.jpg

Alziari EV olive oil, Sèvre & Belle Charentes-Poitou Beurre demi-sel, sliced ramp bulbs; morels, thyme; asparagus, sliced ramp greens; just-cooked Cipriani tagliardi; toss/stir in pan, serve.

• Like 21

Steelhead trout with vodka, chives and green peppercorn cream sauce. With roasted asparagus and rice. The cookbook (published in 1991) comments that this recipe may seem too trendy or yuppie. I guess the 90's were the era of vodka sauces? And also green peppercorns? I've never managed to be trendy at all - this was the first time I've made or eaten one. It was good but I'm not really sure that the vodka contributed much. This was inspired by a bottle of green peppercorns that someone put in my Christmas stocking.

DSC00983.jpg

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

3 hours ago, huiray said:

Morels, asparagus, ramps, thyme, tagliardi.

DSCN9062a_600.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN9047a_400.jpgDSCN9048a_400.jpg

DSCN9052a_600.jpg

Alziari EV olive oil, Sèvre & Belle Charentes-Poitou Beurre demi-sel, sliced ramp bulbs; morels, thyme; asparagus, sliced ramp greens; just-cooked Cipriani tagliardi; toss/stir in pan, serve.

Lord have mercy. That looks marvelous.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Campbell's Creamy Thai Chicken and Rice. I tried. Honestly. I was hungry. I wanted to like it.

A mint meltaway and a robust G&T quickly replaced it. Thank heaven for a stash of sensible emergency provisions. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I recently shared a fried shrimp po boy (dressed, meaning w lettuce, tomato, pickle and spiced mayo) with Deb at Drago's in New Orleans. I liked it much more than I thought I would. Here is my first shot at it at home.

HC

IMG_0652.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

Italian sausage on roasted cauliflower in marinara

0051.jpg

Braised short rib and cauliflower puree

005.jpg

NY Strip, braised root veg and tostones

0031.jpg

Poached salmon, dandelion greens and potatoes, fennel onion gratin

012.jpg

• Like 10

Choy Kon Tong (菜乾湯). (soup, with dried cole/dried vegetable = dried bok choy, 白菜乾)

On the way there, in the pot, after addition of the last ingredients.

DSCN9067c_400.jpg

Pre-soaked trimmed dried cole (see below), fresh water plus some of the vegetable soaking water, beef short ribs [Becker Farms] trimmed of excess fat, sea salt, a dried cuttlefish (小墨魚乾) (see here for an example of what I used; but a different brand), simmer, skimming a bit. Pre-soaked dried Chinese mushrooms ("heong koo" (香菇) variety this time), simmer; later on dried "black jujubes" (黑棗) and dried wolfberries (枸杞子) also went in. Seasoning adjusted, simmered till done, topped up with water at times. Total time around 5-6 hours for this iteration of the soup.

A portion of the finished soup.

DSCN9086b_600.jpg

The "dried vegetable" used.

DSCN9089a_600.jpg

I used one of the two bundles in the soup above. The clustered plants are eased apart, the bottoms of the stems broken off and the dried leaves+stems snapped into shorter lengths as appropriate then soaked in water for a while, shaking gently occasionally (grit & detritus falls to the bottom), then retrieved & excess water squeezed off.

Oh, I also had some potato & peas samosas (made locally) picked up from Patel Bros. :-) 

DSCN9080a_400.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 8

Sous vide chicken breast stuffed with Italian sausage with marinara sauce, green beans and TJ's rice medley (long grain brown rice, black barley and Daikon radish seed).

20160504_200901.jpg

• Like 9

oops! Because of a typo in a grocery flyer, we celebrated cinco de mayo on cuatro de mayo, oh well. The tacos were good anyway. Deb does not like a lot of lettuce on her tacos, so shredded lettuce is an add on. That is just how we roll.

HC

IMG_0655.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

Glad you're home safe, Liuzhou!  I never make couscous.  I need to branch out.

HungryChris, I think I'll make tacos tonight.  You've inspired me :)

Oh LiamsAunt I want pizza now.

And I also want Gfweb's short ribs.

So, we have a zillion rabbits here that are decimating our garden.  I've been lamenting over on the gardening thread.  The other night NINE of them invaded as we watched.  So, we are having to exterminate a bit.  I had three last night to do something with.  I wanted to sous vide one last night but my husband really wanted fried rabbit so I froze one and fried and then pressure cooked the other two.

Marinated in buttermilk for a while

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.JPG

• Like 15