• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Just now, rotuts said:

OK  Im on the hunt for P.T's on sale.

i don't thing small diff's in time on meats matter too much.

eggs, esp the yolks  you bet

and 'tender' fish  i.e. Salmon

not so much on ' tough ' fish  i.e. swordfish.

It's hard to change my mindset regarding cooking times.  Yes, I agree about the times.  I tend to never be on time finishing side dishes so my SV meats tend to go longer than I planned lol.

that's one of the strengths of SV    its pretty easy on timings.

eventually you will Graduate to SV-Pro :  a large beer-cooler,   12 - 20 packs at a time, rapid chill, freeze

need a good freezer.  then you be come a Hawk  for sales on the various Bulk SV'd stuff

boneless CkBr  ( you trim, stuff, bag  etc  )    etc etc

then you just reheat in a smaller cooler for dinner.  frees up ' Cooking Space '

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

that's one of the strengths of SV    its pretty easy on timings.

eventually you will Graduate to SV-Pro :  a large beer-cooler,   12 - 20 packs at a time, rapid chill, freeze

need a good freezer.  then you be come a Hawk  for sales on the various Bulk SV'd stuff

boneless CkBr  ( you trim, stuff, bag  etc  )    etc etc

then you just reheat in a smaller cooler for dinner.  frees up ' Cooking Space '

I'm doing that on a small scale.  I did two tenderloins last night.  One is in the freezer...right now I have pork belly going that's been going all night.  Might have one for dinner tonight...or might just freeze them too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

OK  Im on the hunt for P.T's on sale.

Next time you are in Aldi, you should look for them. The one I go to always has them both seasoned and plain in the cryovac so you might be able to sv them  as is.

HC

I am a very lucky man.  Although we suffered through a devastating forest fire season in Washington last year, through the ashes have arisen a crop of wild Spring morels I haven't seen the likes of in years.  Freshly picked by a group of folks who forage just a few miles from Spokane, a bounty this year of large, tasty morel mushrooms.  And our Central Washington asparagus crop is better than ever, thin, medium, fat and fatter stalks all for the table.  

Last night a dish of morels and asparagus tossed with pappardelle with a parmesan cream sauce-

IMG_0300.JPG

• Like 24

I have no idea how I got such good focus, I think the asparagus and morels must have shocked me to hold the camera tighter or something.  I actually got giddy in the market.  The lady who stocks the produce was in front of the box of morels so I couldn't see them.  When I asked her where they were, she moved to the side and there they were.  It's like seeing a basket of fresh white alba truffles.  

She told me a story of a new forager that contacted the store.  Apparently the family bought an old barn and when they took over the property, opened the doors to find the floor of the barn filled with growing morels.  It would have been worth thousands.  They harvested them then put them in a salt brine,  By the time they took them down to be looked over, they had turned to mush.  Better read up on how to harvest morels next time.

• Like 2

Early Dinner today was a Leek pie ( pre-sautéed the Leeks in partial rendered smoked Bacon from the German butcher, added Caraway seeds and Pepper) and since one can never make just a small lump of yeast dough, we also have a Pizza of sorts with stuffed crust for tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 13

image.jpegWe took this photo of a spit roasted goat earlier today.

Tonight on the way back to find it, in the dark stupid me walked into a 30 cm high metal sign and gashed my shin.

No goat for me, instead back to our hotel for wound dressing....

Maybe tomorrow.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, David Ross said:

I have no idea how I got such good focus, I think the asparagus and morels must have shocked me to hold the camera tighter or something.  I actually got giddy in the market.  The lady who stocks the produce was in front of the box of morels so I couldn't see them.  When I asked her where they were, she moved to the side and there they were.  It's like seeing a basket of fresh white alba truffles.  

She told me a story of a new forager that contacted the store.  Apparently the family bought an old barn and when they took over the property, opened the doors to find the floor of the barn filled with growing morels.  It would have been worth thousands.  They harvested them then put them in a salt brine,  By the time they took them down to be looked over, they had turned to mush.  Better read up on how to harvest morels next time.

Ouch, poor family and what a waste.  The first year after we spread mulch (wood was from some of the burned wood from the Okanagan Park Fire back in about 2007) morels started coming up all over the place.  Each morning we did a 'walk about' with our tea in hand looking for new mushrooms.  We had a lot in fact, so many I had to dry them.  Drying them worked the best.  You could go back to the store for some to dry if you have a dryer.  So good.  

cheers

• Like 5

Back in the late seventies, I spent one summer working in a fish market. The guy I worked for, I had previously worked with in a restaurant, so we were pretty well acquainted. I learned a lot that summer: how to open clams and oysters, how to fillet fish of all kinds and of huge importance, how to recognize fresh fish. One of the many things I also learned was how to spot a good piece of swordfish. He schooled in that because he would send me 30 or so miles up the coast, in the company truck to buy whole swordfish in Point Judith, RI. It was an experience that has paid off in spades in knowing both where to go and what to look for in the search for fresh fish and I am so very grateful for that. Today, I spotted some beautiful fresh swordfish and knew it was dinner. It's the rosy color, tight skin and overall robust look of a healthy fish that is the tipoff. Pale, washed out looking fish, or skin that has started to slip are either old, been frozen or were just not faring well for whatever reason. Here is the piece I bought today. It was not cut by an experienced fish person as evidenced by the non-uniformity  in thickness of the slice (this was in the steak slicing process, after the fish has been filleted), lack of the uniform appearance which can be still better seen in the grilled fish. (this was lack of skill in the fillet process).  My guess is that someone, using a too small, dull knife, sliced away at this beauty and compromised the value. Still, I had to have it  The quality of the fish, itself, is unmistakable!

HC

IMG_0613.JPG

I served this with broccolini and parsley boiled potatoes.

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

I've posted versions of this before, but it is one of my favourites and there is a slight twist this time. The salad is tomato, red onion and mint. I'd normally use basil, but my basil plants aren't ready for harvesting yet, whereas the mint is going mad.

IMG_9940.jpg

With pork marinated overnight in olive oil. lemon, garlic, crushed coriander seeds, salt, and pepper, then fried. Rice.

IMG_9944.jpg

Happy mouth food.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Noodle bowls last night.

I SV'd some pork belly at 157F for about 17 hours.  One half of the belly was simply seasoned with hoisin sauce in the vac bag, the other I did with green onion, ginger, soy and garlic.  We liked the hoisin one the best...the soy needed something.  Maybe some sugar or fish sauce or both.  Anyway, the SV part turned out lovely.

Crappy picture.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

everything looks yummy    Ive been thinking about some Pork Belly SV, Ill put it on the list

how did you do those eggs.  Nice !

Yes, put some belly on the list :)

I was going to try the eggs in the IP but I didn't have time so I did the old stovetop method.  Bring a pot of water to boil.  Drop eggs in.  Boil for exactly 6 minutes.  Take them out and put in ice/water bowl.  Perfect noodle bowl eggs :) 

• Like 3

Fedelini w/ rock shrimp & stuff.

DSCN9006b_600.jpg

Picked up very nice rock shrimp (Sicyonia brevirostris) from Goose the Market. Half of them went into this dish.

Arbequina EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch], a thick slice of butter [Sèvre & Belle Charentes Poitou, demi-sel], sliced garlic (do not brown), peeled & deveined rock shrimp; toss & stir on medium heat till the shrimp are less-than-barely cooked (very quick; faster than "regular" shrimp). Remove shrimp, reserve. Add in hot red chilli flakes, bottom parts of local asparagus, stir a minute; add in halved artichoke hearts (drained) [Vigo], stir. Asparagus tops, parsley leaves, rapini flowers then go in plus several good grinds of black pepper and a splash of AgroDolce Bianco Delizia Estense. Stir everything briefly, then wet just-cooked fedelini (lightly salted cooking water) [De Cecco] goes in followed by the reserved shrimp and everything is tossed & stirred around w/ some of the pasta cooking water added in, for a minute or less. Serve.

Edited by huiray
Tenses (log)
  • Like 10

17 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ouch, poor family and what a waste.  The first year after we spread mulch (wood was from some of the burned wood from the Okanagan Park Fire back in about 2007) morels started coming up all over the place.  Each morning we did a 'walk about' with our tea in hand looking for new mushrooms.  We had a lot in fact, so many I had to dry them.  Drying them worked the best.  You could go back to the store for some to dry if you have a dryer.  So good.  

cheers

I was talking to a friend yesterday who had seen my dish.  She works for air cargo at Spokane Airport and their warehouse has been chocked to the roof with boxes of morels each day the past week.  They are going out on flights throughout each day.  She estimated that in the past few days they shipped more than 5,000 boxes and they are pretty big boxes.  A gold mine of morels.

• Like 1

Strip loins on the rare side of medium rare with a red wine pan sauce,  roasted potatoes and asparagus and red pepper sauté.  The potatoes did not take over the plate as much as it appears.

20160501_200009.jpg

• Like 7

On 4/29/2016 at 11:08 AM, scubadoo97 said:

@liuzhou  looks nice.  You even made canned peas look good

@kayb  does your coconut curry have mango in it?   I don't eat a lot of tilapia but have a nice frozen bag from Costco that's antibiotic free etc.  that I used for my baked gefilte fish dish and was thinking of using some tonight 

I have had coconut curry with mango, but this did not have it. I thought about fresh pineapple, as I had some; but no fruit in this one. It was ultra-simple curry -- onion, garlic, a plentiful portion of Thai red curry paste, and coconut milk.

On 4/30/2016 at 7:09 PM, huiray said:

Oh Chien chez huiray, today's version. Served with green cabbage & Lingham's Hot Sauce.

DSCN8979b_600.jpg

Medium-hot pan, peanut oil, batter**, beaten duck eggs, oysters, dash of fish sauce, chopped scallions.

** mixture of rice flour, tapioca starch, water, white pepper, salt, fish sauce.

Fascinating. Must try this.

On 4/30/2016 at 4:15 AM, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

A very small slice of fried bread (bread fried in bacon fat -- a rare indulgence) topped with bacon and mushrooms.  Somewhere in my food related surfing of the Internet I came across a theory that mushrooms should be dry-fried until they gave up their moisture and then one should add a knob or two of butter to the pan to finish them off.  The claim was that once you drive the moisture off the mushrooms they will "inhale" the butter.   No idea nor do I care if the science holds up but the mushrooms were darn tasty.  

Just luscious.

Been out of town for the weekend. No exceptional meals, but for a very good picnic lunch today of chicken salad, pasta salad and marinated veggies.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I was ashamed to post this in weinoo's "How Many Meals From One Roast Chicken?" thread.  However I finally finished off my Griggstown Farm poussin.

I rather wish I owned a smaller Zojirushi.  A go of rice at one sitting is a prodigious amount for any average sedentary old woman who is not a samurai.  Nonetheless with enough wine almost anything is possible.  Served with broccoli florets from my most recent thepurplecarrot.com kit.

For those counting at home, this would have made roast chicken meal ten.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou