• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

@liuzhou  looks nice.  You even made canned peas look good

@kayb  does your coconut curry have mango in it?   I don't eat a lot of tilapia but have a nice frozen bag from Costco that's antibiotic free etc.  that I used for my baked gefilte fish dish and was thinking of using some tonight 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

7 hours ago, shain said:

I also prefer my crepes without sauce, and preferably very thin and light, but thicker, moist and toothsome has its place. I'm pretty sure that this shaping will work without sauce, simply fried in butter. I kind of like the no knife - two bites crepe aspect of this form. 

For my ravioli inspired take I might use bread flour next time, or maybe more eggs. 

I wonder if you substituted some semolina flour for wheat flour to make them more toothsome?  This is the same idea as adding semolina when making pasta that you want more firm.

• Like 1

This was dinner last night in Hue central Vietnam.

We had a 3.45 am wake up call to get to the airport in Hanoi for an early flight, spent several hours wandering in Da Nang, then 2.5 hours on the train to Hue arriving at 5 pm. After such a long day we were both absolutely shagarillered, so ate at the Hotel restaurant. What a treat to find out this restaurant is rated number 1 on TripAdvisor out of 206.

He had pork pho in the Hue style, I had a tuna salad, my first western meal in two weeks. Both these dishes cost about $3 and were superb. There was such depth of flavour in the soup, today I'm determined to stalk the chef, get in the kitchen, and discover his secrets.

image.jpeg

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, sartoric said:

This was dinner last night in Hue central Vietnam.

We had a 3.45 am wake up call to get to the airport in Hanoi for an early flight, spent several hours wandering in Da Nang, then 2.5 hours on the train to Hue arriving at 5 pm. After such a long day we were both absolutely shagarillered, so ate at the Hotel restaurant. What a treat to find out this restaurant is rated number 1 on TripAdvisor out of 206.

He had pork pho in the Hue style, I had a tuna salad, my first western meal in two weeks. Both these dishes cost about $3 and were superb. There was such depth of flavour in the soup, today I'm determined to stalk the chef, get in the kitchen, and discover his secrets.

image.jpeg

I had to deduct a point for green ring around the yolk.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Oh Chien chez huiray, today's version. Served with green cabbage & Lingham's Hot Sauce.

DSCN8979b_600.jpg

Medium-hot pan, peanut oil, batter**, beaten duck eggs, oysters, dash of fish sauce, chopped scallions.

** mixture of rice flour, tapioca starch, water, white pepper, salt, fish sauce.

Fried rice.

DSCN8984b_600.jpg

Peanut oil, sliced scallions (lots), shredded bamboo shoots in chilli oil, 2-day-old rice, rapini flowers cut into short lengths.

• Like 11

Fish and chips with fresh Point Judith day boat cod. I left the house with the intention to buy steamer clams for dinner, but was side tracked by this new item that was not there yesterday and changed tonight's menu on the fly. When I see fresh, small,  local cod fillets from a place I trust, I'm all in.IMG_0608.JPG

I like to cut the fillet into smaller 1.5 ounce pieces and serve it as help yourself.

IMG_0605.JPG

I have done a number of mixtures over the years, but have come to the conclusion that this is the best way to go. You simply mix it with water to the consistency of thin pancake mix, dip and fry in 375 F peanut oil in small batches . A super fresh cod fillet will simply melt in your mouth and once you have had the experience, you are spoiled for life! The crispy crust just makes it a perfect meal. Once I open the fry mix, I keep the rest in a jar. I have learned over time that the very first step to frying this up is to take the battery out of the smoke detector.

HC

IMG_0607.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, huiray said:

Was it Phở or was it Bún bò Huế

Okay, it was Bun heo Hue. I did have pho ga for breakfast though, and will post on the brekkie thread shortly.

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 2

After thinking about the hard boiled egg topic that is hot right now -- a dinner of soft boiled eggs, by the @pazzaglia method.  Along with a bunch of broccoli steamed in the pressure cooker with the eggs at the same time.  Hard to do better for a four minute one pot meal.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg

A very small slice of fried bread (bread fried in bacon fat -- a rare indulgence) topped with bacon and mushrooms.  Somewhere in my food related surfing of the Internet I came across a theory that mushrooms should be dry-fried until they gave up their moisture and then one should add a knob or two of butter to the pan to finish them off.  The claim was that once you drive the moisture off the mushrooms they will "inhale" the butter.   No idea nor do I care if the science holds up but the mushrooms were darn tasty.  

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I wonder if you substituted some semolina flour for wheat flour to make them more toothsome?  This is the same idea as adding semolina when making pasta that you want more firm.

Interesting idea. I assume that by semolina you mean durum semolina. Sadly it's not very practical for me, since it's quite expensive where I live, and I have little use for it, since I rarely make pasta. If someone gets to try this, please let me know.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

A very small slice of fried bread (bread fried in bacon fat -- a rare indulgence) topped with bacon and mushrooms.  Somewhere in my food related surfing of the Internet I came across a theory that mushrooms should be dry-fried until they gave up their moisture and then one should add a knob or two of butter to the pan to finish them off.  The claim was that once you drive the moisture off the mushrooms they will "inhale" the butter.   No idea nor do I care if the science holds up but the mushrooms were darn tasty.  

Looks very tasty. I always dry fry mushrooms with salt until all of their moisture evaporates, then add the fat and spices. Mushrooms are very forgiving.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Inspired by @Anna N, potato and carrot hash, with browned onion, lentils, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic and thyme. Topped with a runny poached eggs, and more lentils, cooked to a thick stew and flavored with garlic, cumin, smoked chipotle Tabasco and black pepper. There are two more pans like the one pictured, because hash is best eaten straight from the pan :) 

20160430_135727.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

@liuzhou, hake is one of my favorite fish.  I always get excited when it is in my fish share.

@Anna N, mushrooms on toast is one of my favorite comfort foods.  Yours looks so good.

I eked out one more meal without going to the food store: yakisoba noodles with some chicken from the freezer, one slightly wilted bell pepper, a bunch of carrots, and chives from my garden.  I now have nothing left in the crisper other than some lemons and a bag of cole slaw mix.    I will have to break down and go to the store if we are going to have dinner this evening.

yakisoba.jpg

• Like 9

Linguine Carbonara.

DSCN9003a_600.jpg

Two egg yolks + 1 whole egg [Schacht Farm], grated Pecorino Romano [The Fresh Market], freshly-ground black pepper (lots), stir together; pancetta tesa [Smoking Goose, via Goose the Market] sliced up & gently fried in a pan + the rendered fat, cooled down, stir; dripping wet just-cooked linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] straight from the hot cooking water; immediately stir like crazy.** Plate, top w/ more grated Pecorino Romano. Eat.

** The Pecorino Romano "melts" into the sauce while the hot linguine is vigorously stirred into the sauce mixture, as many folks will know.

I usually use guanciale for this, but the pancetta tesa looked so inviting when I saw it...

On the way there:

DSCN8987a_400.jpgDSCN8988a_400.jpg

DSCN8995a_400.jpgDSCN8998a_400.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby   

Thank you :) 

Sorry.  Pork tenderloin.  137F for a little over 4 hours...maybe more like 4 1/2.  You can't tell but I seared it for a couple minutes on each side.  It was very very good.  Juicy and fork tender.

• Like 2

OK  Im on the hunt for P.T's on sale.

i don't thing small diff's in time on meats matter too much.

eggs, esp the yolks  you bet

and 'tender' fish  i.e. Salmon

not so much on ' tough ' fish  i.e. swordfish.

• Like 1