• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Dinner at a home stay. Roughly clockwise from the left - stir fried bean sprouts with pork, nem (spring rolls) with mushroom and pork, chicken with bamboo shoots, green beans, tofu in tomato chilli sauce, stir fried morning glory, white fish in interesting sauce, and banana flower salad. Served with steamed rice, soup with vegetables (both mandatory at most Vietnamese meals) and a beer !

image.jpeg

• Like 16

Rice w/ Mexican chorizo & tomatoes & stuff.

Eaten w/ sautéed rapini flowers.

DSCN8956c_600.jpg

Ingredients included shallots, garlic, Mexican chorizo (casing removed), thinly-sliced beef brisket, sliced mini orange & yellow sweet peppers, dried oregano entero, chopped-up canned de-skinned whole tomatoes [Red Gold] w/ the juices, sea salt, ajinomoto, sliced baby/young leeks, sliced negi, basmati rice, a cube of Caldo de Tomate con Sabor de Pollo [Knorr], water.

On the way there:

DSCN8940a_400.jpgDSCN8943a_400.jpg

DSCN8945b_400.jpgDSCN8947a_400.jpg

DSCN8953a_600.jpg

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, sartoric said:

...soup with vegetables (both mandatory at most Vietnamese meals)...

Not just at Vietnamese meals.

Soup (including "with vegetables") is an integral part of many E/SE Asian meals. The Cantonese, as one example of a soup-drinking culture, almost requires some sort of soup in almost all meals. (And I count myself as one who drinks soup routinely almost all the time, as my posts here illustrate)

By "soup" one also means the "E/SE Asian style of soups (frequently a broth-like mixture with solid components in it, unlike the puréed and strained stuff that Western cuisine considers as "soup", although "Asian soups" do also include certain examples of these puréed stuff) It is always a source of amusement to me to read about how "soup" in Western cuisines is sometimes consigned to "Old Folk's Diets" or to specific seasons of the year (Winter) whereas soup is eaten/drunk year-round in so many other cuisines including E/SE Asian ones.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sartoric said:

@huiray, agree absolutely that soup at every meal is a part of many SE Asian countries food regime.

In Myanmar it's common to share the spoon amongst friends too !

Yes.

I also often wonder about the expectation that soup, in the Western tradition, HAS to follow the FRENCH model. IMO, illustrative of the ethnocentric bias that some folks have about what constitutes "food". Of course, one talks about what one grew up with - so this is not a blanket statement about the proclivities of folks here or elsewhere.

Edited by huiray (log)

I was surprised to see D'Artagnan products at the local grocery store.  Prices weren't as bad as when you have to add on shipping .  I got some chorizo and Andouille sausages. I got some duck fat too, but didn't use that today.  Since Cassie isn't here, I could get stuff that she doesn't like and she doesn't like chorizo.   We also used some homemade mustard, hollandaise, kraut, asparagus, pickles and baked potato.

DSCN3459.jpg

• Like 12

Several recent meals:

From the NY Times: Chicken with artichokes with garlic mashed potatoes. And, of course, salad.

DSC00965.jpg

Roasted pork butt with artichokes, roasted potatoes and carrots. 

DSC00971.jpg

Italian frying peppers stuffed with breadcrumbs, Parmesan, capers, garlic and shallot cooked in a quick tomato sauce, served with bread I made today and salad

DSC00962.jpg

Risotto with asparagus and peas and shrimp - which were supposed to be grilled but it was 30 F and raining/sleeting so they were sautéed.

DSC00970.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 16

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@ElainaA -- Awwww, c'mon. No grilling when it's 30 degrees and sleeting? Where's your sense of adventure?

Glad I'm a Southerner. 76 here today. Planted pole beans. Life is good.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Experimental dish: crepe ravioli with ricotta, Parmesan and lemon peel filling. The "ravioli" were sauteed in olive oil, with sliced cherry tomatoes, basil, toasted pine nuts, garlic and some chill. Really nice, but I think that my crepe batter results in a ravioli which is slightly too tender. Never thought I'll ask this, but any tips for making chewy crepes? I removed all fat from the batter, other then the egg yolk. It's nice, but I'd like it to have some more bite to it.

20160428_134342.jpg20160428_134403.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

Bin ends fried rice: leftover rice, the end of a jar of kimchi, minced, the last bunch of (slightly wilted) scallions, a piece of chopped up leftover chicken, the last of the cilantro, and some beaten eggs.  Topped with fried shallots from the Asian market.  I really need to go grocery shopping.

fried rice 2.jpg

• Like 11

A quick, late dinner. Spaghetti with chicken livers and olives. There is some shallot and chilli in there, too. Finished off with my secret ingredient - Green Tabasco sauce. Not the most beautiful or inspired dish here, but it filled the hole and tasted fine.

IMG_9824.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 hours ago, huiray said:

It is always a source of amusement to me to read about how "soup" in Western cuisines is sometimes consigned to "Old Folk's Diets" or to specific seasons of the year (Winter) whereas soup is eaten/drunk year-round in so many other cuisines including E/SE Asian ones.

True indeed. My vision of soup is cold weather only...unless you are an old guy at the race track who uses it to load up on the free saltines.

• Like 2

Bought a "store cooked" meatloaf because it was on sale and I'd never tried that store's meatloaf before.  It was just OK, a little bready and mushy for my taste to eat by itself, so I made it into a casserole with a sauce consisting of primarily ketchup and sugar with salt, pepper, onion and garlic.  Topped with panko.  Served with steamed and buttered Brussels Sprouts, salad and a nice glass of Petite Syrah.

meatloaf-cass-3.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Halibut steamed w/ ginger & scallions.

DSCN8966a_600.jpg

The halibut was marinated w/ sliced scallions, julienned ginger, sea salt, bit of rice bran oil; then simply steamed. The piece of fish was retrieved (discarding all solids & liquids) and plated on a fresh dish, then dressed w/ fresh scallions, ginger & coriander leaves and a sauce of {hot oil quenched w/ a mixture of (Higeta Honzen choutokusen koikuchi, Takara hon-mirin, good Shaohsing wine, water, dash of sesame oil and ground white pepper)} poured gently over.

Eaten w/ white rice & cabbage soup (in chicken broth).

DSCN8961a_600.jpg

• Like 9

18 hours ago, shain said:

Never thought I'll ask this, but any tips for making chewy crepes? I removed all fat from the batter, other then the egg yolk. It's nice, but I'd like it to have some more bite to it.

shain, that's a pretty and imaginative dish. I don't think I'll be trying it because I love my crepes crispy and light, so I never put any sauce on top, but do use it inside. I actually use Marcella Hazan's recipe for crepes. She calls them crespelle, but they are exactly the same. The Italians use them like cannelloni, roll them around fillings, top them with a little meat/tomato or bechamel sauce and bake. Marcella has some recipes for crespelle stuffed with spinach or meat sauce, and I don't see why your cheese filling couldn't work. She also has a good recipe for homemade pasta and several recipes for stuffed ravioli. :) If you want toothsome ravioli, I would go with standard recipes that have been developed over centuries. Or you could just enjoy your fusion creation for what it is. It looks very nice to me.

Leftovers here at our house again, but they were good.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg

Tongue hash. For an explanation of "why tongue" see the lunch topic. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

shain, that's a pretty and imaginative dish. I don't think I'll be trying it because I love my crepes crispy and light, so I never put any sauce on top, but do use it inside. I actually use Marcella Hazan's recipe for crepes. She calls them crespelle, but they are exactly the same. The Italians use them like cannelloni, roll them around fillings, top them with a little meat/tomato or bechamel sauce and bake. Marcella has some recipes for crespelle stuffed with spinach or meat sauce, and I don't see why your cheese filling couldn't work. She also has a good recipe for homemade pasta and several recipes for stuffed ravioli. :) If you want toothsome ravioli, I would go with standard recipes that have been developed over centuries. Or you could just enjoy your fusion creation for what it is. It looks very nice to me.

Leftovers here at our house again, but they were good.

I also prefer my crepes without sauce, and preferably very thin and light, but thicker, moist and toothsome has its place. I'm pretty sure that this shaping will work without sauce, simply fried in butter. I kind of like the no knife - two bites crepe aspect of this form. 

For my ravioli inspired take I might use bread flour next time, or maybe more eggs. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Soup.

DSCN8973a_600.jpg

Oil, chopped smashed garlic, julienned ginger, shot-cut pork spare ribs, sliced pre-poached winter bamboo shoot, chicken stock, water, rehydrated snow fungus, soft tofu chunks. Seasoning adjusted. Two large bowls worth eaten.

• Like 6

A sort of a Asia-Scottish dinner tonight. Mince and Tatties. The minced beef was cooked with shallots (I forgot to buy onions) and celery. Purists will be asking "Where are the carrots?" They were on the "forget list", too. I had things on my mind.The mince was cooked with star anise and Thai fish sauce. And canned peas. China can't do peas. They are all awful!

Buttery new potatoes.

mt.jpg

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Apologies for the very bad cell phone photo, but the dinner was quite good. Tilapia in a coconut curry sauce over brown rice, with a side of roasted broccoli which had overstayed its welcome in the oven and was overdone....but still good.

fish with broccoli.JPG

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com