• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

To keep up with the salad theme:
Beet and citurs salad (recipe by Kenji from Serious Eats). Roasted beets, arugula, Valencia orange, sweet red pomelo (all but the beets were picked from our garden). Pine nuts, vinaigrette with honey and orange zest.

DSCF5782.JPGDSCF5791.JPG

Roasted brussles sprouts, shallots, and tofu with white pomelo and orange in a sauce made from the fruits drippings spiced with aniseed, fennel seed and cinnamon, a little extra brown sugar and cilantro. Recipe inspired by a recpie from "Plenty More" by Yotam Ottolenghi.

20160422_133859.jpg

It was a serious practice on my orange supreme cutting skill :) 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10

~ Shai N.

Chicken broth/stock [Simpson Farms frames, ginger, sea salt] simply w/ scallions & coriander leaves.

DSCN8843a_600.jpg

Chicken broth/stock w/ pork short-cut spareribs [Asia Mart], enoki mushrooms [AsiaMart], rapini flowers [Full Hand Farm], soft tofu chunks [Hinoshi] plus this-and-that.

DSCN8849a_600.jpg

DSCN8856a_600.jpg

Kouign-Amann at some  point; devoured with lip-smacking enthusiasm. From Amelia's Bakery.

DSCN8845a-46a_comb_1k_600.jpg

Beef short ribs [from Carniceria Morelos] slow-stewed/braised w/ LOADS of chopped smashed garlic, mutenka shiro miso [Maruman], fermented white wet bean curd [Liu Ma Kee], hon-mirin [Takara], ajinomoto, star anise, cassia, plus this-and-that. Quartered Korean radishes plus quartered Chinese radishes (daikon) went in afterwards. Seasoning adjusted, cooked till done.

Eaten w/ fine rice noodles, briefly softened in hot water and immediately drained and rinsed w/ cold water.

This one:

DSCN8890a-94a_comb_1k_600.jpg

Assembled bowl of stuff, w/ chopped scallions.

DSCN8903a_600.jpg

DSCN8905a_600.jpg

• Like 7

Based on a recipe from my new favorite cooking show, "Dining with the Chef" from the NHK network of Japan.  The show runs once a week on our local PBS channel.  I watch the videos on You Tube then use Chromecast to cast them onto my big screen TV.  I am in heaven with this show right now..............

Japanese Kara Age Fried Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce, Pickled Daikon and Seaweed Salad with Crispy Seasoned Anchovy-

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

• Like 11

asparagus n egg.JPG

First local asparagus of the year for me. With my favorite accompaniment, two poached egg yolks. Didn't have anything with it; why do you want a side with perfection?

• Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We did an Octoberfest-themed dinner tonight, with saurbraten made with chuck roast, pretzel squares, German potato salad.

4.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 15

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Dinner from a couple of weeks ago - pizza with meatball slices, whole-milk mozz and parm. Made pies half meatball, half-cheese. I was craving pizza after reading Peter Reinhart's American Pie.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

• Like 9

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Chop04242016.png

A quick, convenience dinner.  I plunked on the guitar while the sprouts' water boiled.  Pork chop (rather thick, I cut them myself from a lovely roast that was on sale) with sage, sous vide, grilled on the Zojirushi.  (My son tripped over the sage plant a couple days ago but it is recovering nicely.)  Non-cultivated traditional wild rice.  Applesauce with mace (not shown).  Nothing was left.  Most satisfying meal in many days.

I had intended a trou normand of Manoir de Montreuil-en-Auge (just so Froggy doesn't think I drink only cheap applejack).  Alas there was no time so I am enjoying the bottle of Calvados for dessert.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg

A bowl of lightly steamed then sauteed broccoli with cocktail tomatoes and bacon. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The great Australian pipi; it's the closest thing we have to clams, native to Australia.

Stir fried with XO sauce, chillis, spring onions, salted fermeted black beans, ginger and Shaohsing wine. On a bed of crispy deep fried rice vermicelli to soak up the juices.

pipi2.jpg

pipi.jpg

• Like 10

I haven't had a dinner post for awhile but tonight I got motivated to break the camera out. It's Cobia (aka ling, lemon fish) season on the gulf coast and I bought really a nice at fillet Maria's Seafood.  I also picked up a nice swordfish fillet. A couple of little tweaks with marinades to suit the wife and myself then onto the grill.  

RP1040761.jpg

RP1040767.jpg

RP1040768.jpg

• Like 11

Garbage dinner for me as I was busy finishing  2 weeks of travel laundry: turkey hot dogs with cheddar in bread pockets with a big salad. When I was doing a big cook the other day I also cooked off some ground turkey and ground bison to use in making gravy to put together a lasagna for tonight.  Using drained lactose free cottage cheese instead of ricotta as Johnnybird is lactose intolerant.   Freshly made pasta sheets. Salad and garlic bread to round out the meal. Just saw something on our local station that looks intriguing: coconut bacon on a salad.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I broke out the grill for the season the other day and made some grilled pizzas.  Pepperoni

pepperoni pizza.jpg

You will notice that there is only half a pizza here.  That is because the grill ate the other half as a ritual sacrifice.  It is OK because my nephew is the only one who likes pepperoni, so there was still enough.

I also made a plain

margharita pizza.jpg

and a mixed vegetable

vegetable pizza.jpg

• Like 18

Saturday grazing.

Finocchiona. Salame Cotto. Francese bread (supplier: Amelia's Bread), ripped from the loaf as i went along (see below too). All from Goose the Market/Smoking Goose. (Ignore the walnut-cranberry bread slices in the top left corner)

DSCN8907a_600.jpg

Wallabout Crown Finish (top), Haymaids (bottom left), Essex Street Marcel Petit Comte (bottom right). All from Goose the Market.

DSCN8909a_600.jpg

Being eaten w/ the Francese.

DSCN8914a_600.jpg

Hot Capicola/Capocolla [Smoking Goose], via Goose the Market.

DSCN8912a_600.jpg

Plus Jamón Serrano (Goose the Market].

DSCN8917b_600.jpg

All with Francese chomped along.

• Like 16

My ugly steamed buns made me happy on this wintry day. Ran out of white flour so I threw in some light rye flour at the last moment. Added more cooked Peking duck marinade/sauce to the pork for a more intense taste. We ate the steamed buns with a salad. 

yODMdib.jpg

dJXSdhi.jpg

o4fASeM.jpg

• Like 15

8 hours ago, huiray said:

Saturday grazing.

Finocchiona. Salame Cotto. Francese bread (supplier: Amelia's Bread), ripped from the loaf as i went along (see below too). All from Goose the Market/Smoking Goose. (Ignore the walnut-cranberry bread slices in the top left corner)

DSCN8907a_600.jpg

Wallabout Crown Finish (top), Haymaids (bottom left), Essex Street Marcel Petit Comte (bottom right). All from Goose the Market.

DSCN8909a_600.jpg

Being eaten w/ the Francese.

DSCN8914a_600.jpg

Hot Capicola/Capocolla [Smoking Goose], via Goose the Market.

DSCN8912a_600.jpg

Plus Jamón Serrano (Goose the Market].

DSCN8917b_600.jpg

All with Francese chomped along.

I envy you your cheese and charcuterie source every time you post it.

1 hour ago, jvalentino said:

Bo ssam recipe from  Lucky Peach. Served with gochugang mayo, jalepeno, green onion and quick pickles. Easy to eat lots of these. 

image.jpeg

I am intrigued by the notion of bo ssam. I believe that will be the treatment for the next pork butt that comes through.

Tonight's asparagus was butter-braised, with hollandaise because the youngest child was here. Doggoned good blender hollandaise, if I did make it myself.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Cuban mojo rotisserie chicken. This time I stuffed the bird with the lemon and lime hulls I juiced to make the marinade and I think it added to the end product. I recognize there is a vegetable item missing from the meal, but I promise I will make up for it tomorrow, but for tonight, I chose a baked potato, the other white meat.

HC

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

Pork roast with apples and mustard

004.jpg

Meatloaf, brussels sprout bacon slaw, roasted cippoline

222.jpg

Beef tenderloin and roasted veg

16941.jpg

Chile rubbed pork tenderloin and roasted veg

20160408_184706.jpg

SV turkey breast, saged butternut squash, maple sprouts

0081.jpg

Meatloaf with roasted fingerlings and roasted tomatoes, cauliflower and onion

012.jpg

• Like 16

I can see this group is eating very well, as usual.

@liamsaunt, I sure want some of your lovely grilled pizzas. Mean old grill, taking half the pepperoni one. I hate it when that happens. :|

@BonVivant, your steamed pork buns are far from ugly to me, but very inviting to eat.

@HungryChris, Your marinated rotisserie chicken looks delectable. The potato gets a bad rap, but you would be surprised at how much Vitamin C it has. Notice the Nutrition Data link puts it firmly in the vegetable category. It's really the sour cream and butter most of us love to add that add the calories.

Yesterday I made homefried potatoes. I found the prettiest little white new potatoes at the Indian grocer for 99 cents/lb the other day with pristine, almost translucent thin tan skins. The skin did not peel off with a brush like it will when you dig them yourself and cook them that day, but they were extremely fresh for store bought. I left the skin on. To me homefries are 3/8" raw dice and fried until golden brown, quite crispy outside and creamy on the inside. It's a dish you can almost never get in made well in a restaurant, at least around here. I guess they have to make too many at a time, so they come out sort of steamed and not crispy or very brown at all. I never order them out. It takes 30 minutes to fry just two servings in a 12" skillet, so I see why they can't do it that way commercially.

I fried the potatoes up in some duck fat and used what was left in the pan to cook over easy eggs. Sliced banana and strawberries were served alongside.

Tonight was broiled pork steak with rosemary, sweet potatoes nuked in their jackets with just butter and salt, and a succotash-like medley of baby limas, corn, red bell pepper, and caramelized onion.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <