• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Large batch of caramel sauce

ritz55

3 parts sugar with 1 part water to prevent scorching. Add a little lemon juice or other acid to prevent crystallizing.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

This is our large batch caramel sauce:

3# heavy cream, warmed

In a large braiser:

1# 8 oz water

9 oz corn syrup

5# 4 oz sugar

12 oz unsalted butter, chopped

mix it gently (because I never wash the sides down with a wet brush but you don't want to leave a giant mound of sugar in the center either)

Moderate heat til it starts to color then watch it carefully.  When it's the color you want,  turn off the heat, add the cream in a slow stream, starting and stopping as the bubbles rise and subside; when the cream is added, add the butter and 4 tbl vanilla and stir with a whisk.

If what you were looking for is straight caramel (for dipping or making a cage) then what Drewman said.  I like to rub the pot with a cut lemon first.

ETA: forgot the butter quantity

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

• 1 year later...

Hello!

Does anyone here have experience in making caramelized sugar in large batches? I'm an ice cream manufacturer and our most popular flavor is salty caramel. Let me tell you how we make our caramel sauce:

In 25 litre saucepan we put sugar + water + cream of tartar. We boil it WITHOUT stirring until the water evaporates and the temperature reaches 180 degrees celcius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) . We measure with digital probe thermometer. Then we drop butter in it and the worker starts stirring with a wooden paddle. It all starts to splutter and slop out of sausepan, it's pretty dangerous moment. Then, when it ends, we add cream and continue stirring. The caramel sauce is ready at this point. We make 240 kgs/ day. 

As our company grows, we need more caramel sauce. I'm looking for an industrial equipment that can help me upscale the production and make the process less risky, so not the worker, but the machine does all the stirring. Does such an equipment exist? What should I be looking for?

Thank you.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

• 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:53 AM, Alexei Korolev said:

Hello!

Does anyone here have experience in making caramelized sugar in large batches? I'm an ice cream manufacturer and our most popular flavor is salty caramel. Let me tell you how we make our caramel sauce:

In 25 litre saucepan we put sugar + water + cream of tartar. We boil it WITHOUT stirring until the water evaporates and the temperature reaches 180 degrees celcius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) . We measure with digital probe thermometer. Then we drop butter in it and the worker starts stirring with a wooden paddle. It all starts to splutter and slop out of sausepan, it's pretty dangerous moment. Then, when it ends, we add cream and continue stirring. The caramel sauce is ready at this point. We make 240 kgs/ day. 

As our company grows, we need more caramel sauce. I'm looking for an industrial equipment that can help me upscale the production and make the process less risky, so not the worker, but the machine does all the stirring. Does such an equipment exist? What should I be looking for?

Thank you.

Hi Alexei -- Wondering if you had any luck in figuring out scaling your caramel.  We're in a very similar situation to what you described in 2016, but can't afford an automated unit like the Savage....thinking we may try to get at least a larger pot by Savage to make bigger batches still by hand.  Thanks and Happy New Year!