• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Costco customers, check your freezer.

andiesenji

"

Hepatitis outbreak linked to frozen organic fruit sold at Costco

By Coral Beach | April 16, 2016

Canadian officials have linked an ongoing Hepatitis A outbreak to a frozen organic fruit blend of berries and cherries sold exclusively at Costco stores."

This came in today's Food Safety News email bulleting.

Edited by andiesenji
duplicate (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, thank you for posting this.  I was just at Costco yesterday and bought a mix of frozen berries, so I checked the freezer.  It turned out not to be the brand I bought as I have Kirkland.  However, I also bought frozen mango under the Nature Touch brand name.  I haven't eaten either yet and I will call Costco tomorrow about the  mango just to be on the safe side.  

• Like 1

Thanks, Andie.

I guess one benefit of being out here in the boonies is that it is a 5 hour drive to Costco - and we are still getting snowstorms that have made the trip not worth the taking so I have luckily not managed to get to Costco for some time now. I have bought that blend before however.

I just heard back from Costco and there are no problems with any of the other Nature Touch products.  They are making the Hep A shots available through to the beginning of next week.

• Like 3

I gather too that Costco will also arrange for free 'booster' shots at 6 months (as is recommended) for those who get the initial Hep A shots as a result of this scare.

I commend Costco for such fast action in this case and in going far beyond just 'recalling' the product. Other companies seem to tell people to just junk it, not even bring it back for a refund. I have seen other companies not even admit anything till months after a product they sell has been identified as a culprit in passing on disease, etc. I don't think I have heard of any other company ever providing/paying for a medical intervention after something like this. I have no idea if they were told to do all this (by government authorities) or if they are doing it all on their own, but, I am impressed.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

Me too!

We don't have a Costco, but have shopped there before when I lived in a more urban area...but Orillia is planning to have one before the end of the year!!!

p

• Like 1

Costco has always done it right.  With food recalls, they are right on the ball, acting on customer complaints as soon as they are informed.

And certainly their return "process" couldn't be easier.  Last year my neighbors bought a yard play thing for their kids and had a lot of difficulty putting it together so they just bundled up the pieces - the box had been torn apart when they prepared to put it together - and they hauled it into the store and the person at the counter just gave them their money back, without any difficulty and had a man haul the bits and pieces away.  Then the manager came out and APOLOGIZED for their experience of having bought a faulty item.  

I had a similar experience many years ago when I bought a Kitchenaid mixer, tried to knead bread that was too stiff a dough in it, and burnt out the motor.  I took it back to Costco, they took it back and offered me another mixer or my money back.  I took another mixer, burnt out the motor in that one a week later and took it back and was given my money back, no questions.  I'm a LOYAL Costco customer.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We had a pre-lit Christmas tree that we bought at Costco.  We used it for three years but in the 3rd year the lights stopped working.  They took it back and gave us a full refund.  The same thing happened with a PVR that stopped working.  They took it back as well.  I love Costco.

• Like 5