• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

I gather too that Costco will also arrange for free 'booster' shots at 6 months (as is recommended) for those who get the initial Hep A shots as a result of this scare.

I commend Costco for such fast action in this case and in going far beyond just 'recalling' the product. Other companies seem to tell people to just junk it, not even bring it back for a refund. I have seen other companies not even admit anything till months after a product they sell has been identified as a culprit in passing on disease, etc. I don't think I have heard of any other company ever providing/paying for a medical intervention after something like this. I have no idea if they were told to do all this (by government authorities) or if they are doing it all on their own, but, I am impressed.

Deryn

Deryn

I gather too that Costco will also arrange for free 'booster' shots at 6 months (as is recommended) for those who get the initial Hep A shots as a result of this scare.

I commend Costco for such fast action in this case and in going far beyond (what other companies seem to do) just 'recalling' the product (essentially telling people to just junk it, not even bring it back for a refund). I have seen other companies not even admit anything till months after a product they sell has been identified as a culprit in passing on disease, etc. I don't think I have heard of any other company ever providing/paying for a medical intervention after something like this. I have no idea if they were told to do all this (by government authorities) or if they are doing it all on their own, but, I am impressed.

Deryn

Deryn

I commend Costco for such fast action in this case and in going far beyond (again what other companies seem to do) just 'recalling' the product (essentially telling people to just junk it, not even bring it back for a refund). I have seen other companies not even admit anything till months after a product they sell has been identified as a culprit in passing on disease, etc. I don't think I have heard of any other company ever providing/paying for a medical intervention after something like this. I have no idea if they were told to do all this (by government authorities) or if they are doing it all on their own, but, I am impressed.

Deryn

Deryn

I commend Costco for such fast action (I have seen other companies not even admit anything till months after a product they sell has been identified as a culprit in passing on disease, etc.) in this case - and in going far beyond (again what other companies seem to do) just 'recalling' the product (essentially telling people to just junk it, not even bring it back for a refund). I don't recall any other company ever providing/paying for a medical intervention after something like this. I have no idea if they were told to do all this (by government authorities) or if they are doing it all on their own, but, I am impressed.