• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

44 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I am intrigued @liuzhouand @Duvel.

I like star anise, but it just tastes like licorice to me. I love it judiciously used with pork, for example. I also love cinnamon in some Greek savory meat and tomato sauce applications, but I don't see it as contributing to umami per se, but rather as a balancing agent.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on why you think it brings out, and complements umami flavor. I perceive it as having no umami of its own at all.

I'm not sure how to answer your question.

If you add too much star anise to a ragu, for example, yes, it will taste licoricey, but the "right amount" is not detectable separately yet it boosts umami. I'm far from being alone in thinking so. As @Duvel points out, Blumenthal agrees. As do many others.

My ragu sauces do not taste of licorice in the least, yet they for sure taste better with the star anise than without.

It is also used in Chinese cuisine in exactly the same way. Much of the umami richness of Chinese spare ribs, for example, comes from star anise in the 5-spice mix.

Here is a recipe for umami burgers. Spot the star anise. I haven't made this recipe, but I can see it working.

I also use it in Shepherd's Pie.

Incidentally, something like 90% of the world's star anise is grown right there in Guangxi, my part of China, so it is very cheap and very fresh.

liuzhou

liuzhou

40 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I like star anise, but it just tastes like licorice to me. I love it judiciously used with pork, for example. I also love cinnamon in some Greek savory meat and tomato sauce applications, but I don't see it as contributing to umami per se, but rather as a balancing agent.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on why you think it brings out, and complements umami flavor. I perceive it as having no umami of its own at all.

If you add too much star anise to a ragu, for example, yes, it will taste licoricey, but the "right amount" is not detectable separately yet it boosts umami. I'm far from being alone in thinking so. As @Duvel points out, Blumenthal agrees. As do many others.

My ragu sauces do not taste of licorice in the least, yet they for sure taste better with the star anise than without.

It is also used in Chinese cuisine in exactly the same way. Much of the umami richness of Chinese spare ribs, for example, comes from star anise in the 5-spice mix.

Here is a recipe for umami burgers. Spot the star anise. I haven't made this recipe, but I can see it working.

I also use it in Shepherd's Pie.

Incidentally, something like 90% of the world's star anise is grown right there in Guangxi, my part of China, so it is very cheap and very fresh.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

My ragu sauces do not taste of licorice in the least , yet they for sure taste better with the star anise than without.

I also, use it in Shepherd's Pie.