• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

23 minutes ago, dcarch said:

There is a vendor on one of the farmers market who sells mushrooms. Obvious to me her stuff was not grown by herself.

But of course. Hence the difficulty of assigning "local and "self-grown" to all produce at a "Farmers/ Market". If you are buying morels or chanterelles, say, or lots of other stuff (e.g. ramps, frequently), from "Farmers' Markets" they are NOT grown by the seller - they are foraged, often at places far from the market - but presumably still IN STATE, which is a common lowest common denominator for these markets.

I've sometimes bought porcini/boletes and other stuff from a certain vendor at the BRFM - but from him at his home base, NOT at the market itself - because they came from OUTSIDE of Indiana, which is not allowed at the market.

By the same token, those Amish farmers I've mentioned who drive in to Indy from 100-120 miles away in Northern Indiana – the South Bend Farmers' Market is much, much closer to them; but that place does not have the same clientele as in Indy who might be willing to pay more money...and going to Chicago involves their becoming an "out-of-state" vendor in those places, which is disallowed in many cases anyway.

huiray

huiray

20 minutes ago, dcarch said:

There is a vendor on one of the farmers market who sells mushrooms. Obvious to me her stuff was not grown by herself.

But of course. Hence the difficulty of assigning "local and "self-grown" to all produce at a "Farmers/ Market". If you are buying morels or chanterelles, say, or lots of other stuff (e.g. ramps, frequently), from "Farmers' Markets" they are NOT grown by the seller - they are foraged, often at places far from the market - but presumably still IN STATE, which is a common lowest common denominator for these markets.

I've sometimes bought porcini/boletes and other stuff from a certain vendor at the BRFM - but from him at his home base, NOT at the market itself - because they came from OUTSIDE of Indiana, which is not allowed at the market.

huiray

huiray

14 minutes ago, dcarch said: