• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

I refuse to buy from him since the produce could have come from half a state away. What's the point of a farmer's market if you're not buying locally grown produce?

Stuff sold at a Farmers' Market does not HAVE to be local. It ought to be grown by independent farmers, ideally (or by the regulations of the market; where one vendor is allowed to be a reseller but such sourced produce MUST be clearly marked) but it can come from quite a distance away, including "halfway across the state".  See here and here for some comments regarding some of the farmers' markets in my area, where I gave examples of Amish farmers coming into Indianapolis from 100+ to 120+ miles away, almost at the northern edge of Indiana. (As a side note the E/SE/S Asian vegetable offerings have declined a lot; for example, one of the most prolific growers "retired".)

huiray

huiray

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

I refuse to buy from him since the produce could have come from half a state away. What's the point of a farmer's market if you're not buying locally grown produce?

Stuff sold at a Farmers' Market does not HAVE to be local. It ought to be grown by independent farmers, ideally (or by the regulations of the market) but it can come from quite a distance away, including "halfway across the state".  See here and here for some comments regarding some of the farmers' markets in my area. (As a side note the E/SE/S Asian vegetable offerings have declined a lot; for example, one of the most prolific growers "retired".)