• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

However, if you reread my post, at no time did I indicate in any way that I thought gin might be what the restaurant was using. Just more of a "if it's cheaper there, why not give it a try just for grins."

And I just meant to say that I doubt that there is anywhere on the planet where gin is cheaper than rice wine. Or that it would be a normal substitute (and I've always considered sherry an only vaguely acceptable substitute.)

But your story of your son's friend's father is interesting if somewhat sad, but all too typical. Still.

At least he learnt some skills and became a Chinese master chef, whatever that means. So many bought and sold children ended up in much worse places.

But we are getting off-topic.

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

However, if you reread my post, at no time did I indicate in any way that I thought gin might be what the restaurant was using. Just more of a "if it's cheaper there, why not give it a try just for grins."

And I just meant to say that I doubt that there is anywhere on the planet where gin is cheaper than rice wine. Or that it would be a normal substitute.

But your story of your son's friend's father is interesting if somewhat sad, but all too typical. Still.

At least he learnt some skills and became a Chinese master chef, whatever that means. So many bought and sold children ended up in much worse places.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Jaymes said:

And I just meant to say that I doubt that there is anywhere on the planet where gin is cheaper than rice wine. Or that it would be a normal substitute.

At least he learnt some skills and became a Chinese master chef, what ever that means. So many bought and sold children ended up in much worse places.