• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

2 hours ago, Cineris said:

The owners have lived in Norway since 2000, and they still do not speak the language. I asked one of their sons if he could ask about the recipe and explain it to me. He said it would be very difficult for him to translate it to Norwegian. I don't know if that's the truth, or if it's just a way to keep it a secret. I really doubt they are Szchuanese as their menu is not close to Szechuanese food.

Thanks for the response. I would suspect they are more likely to be in the direction of Cantonese or southern Chinese, anyway...rather than Szechuanese, and your comment about the overall menu seems to suggest that.

No Shaohsing wine...OK, try some dry sherry (NOT my "best substitute recommendation", but it is in the generalized desired direction), or try some sake...

huiray

huiray

1 hour ago, Cineris said:

The owners have lived in Norway since 2000, and they still do not speak the language. I asked one of their sons if he could ask about the recipe and explain it to me. He said it would be very difficult for him to translate it to Norwegian. I don't know if that's the truth, or if it's just a way to keep it a secret. I really doubt they are Szchuanese as their menu is not close to Szechuanese food.

Thanks for the response. I would suspect they are more likely to be in the direction of Cantonese or southern Chinese, anyway...rather than Szechuanese, and your comment about the overall menu seems to suggest that.