• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Cineris

Cineris

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I meant the recipe for the whole dish. But I'm beginning to see what may be the problem.

You are never going to replicate this dish if you insist on keeping the sauce separate from the other ingredients. Chinese cooking doesn't work that way. The sauce isn't something you pour over at the end. It is an integral part of the whole dish. The meat  partially cooks in the sauce, gaining from and contributing to the sauce. As do the other ingredients.

I've already given you links to recipes both in English and Chinese, but you seem to have rejected those because they don't include a separate sauce. They never will..

I'm done.

You're misunderstanding. Of course the other ingredients play an important role. The sauce wouldn't be at all the same without the garlic, leeks and onions. Though, I just thought the beef wouldn't really play a big role here.

And the post with the links and description was very helpful. I will continue trying and looking. Btw, the first link doesn't work. 

Cineris

Cineris

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I meant the recipe for the whole dish. But I'm beginning to see what may be the problem.

You are never going to replicate this dish if you insist on keeping the sauce separate from the other ingredients. Chinese cooking doesn't work that way. The sauce isn't something you pour over at the end. It is an integral part of the whole dish. The meat  partially cooks in the sauce, gaining from and contributing to the sauce. As do the other ingredients.

I've already given you links to recipes both in English and Chinese, but you seem to have rejected those because they don't include a separate sauce. They never will..

I'm done.

You're misunderstanding. Of course the other ingredients play an important role. The sauce wouldn't be at all the same without the garlic, leeks and onions. Though, I just thought the beef wouldn't really play a big role here.