• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galamba reaching out from Portugal

Galamba

Dear community,

First of all I'd like to thank Chris for this opportunity!

I am a product design PhD student from Porto, Portugal.

I love food and cooking and so I'm trying to innovate in a field that I'm passionate about.

That's why I'm here: to learn with others that share a love for food :)

Hope I'll be able to give a positive contribution!

• Like 1

Welcome, Galamba!

That's a pretty good introduction.  I see you've already started a topic discussing your main purpose for being here  If you need any help with the forums, feel free to PM a host, or go ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.  

Your location makes me think of one of life's fine beverages.  Do you enjoy the occasional glass of port wine?  What sorts of food do you enjoy preparing for yourself?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Welcome, Galamba!

That's a pretty good introduction.  I see you've already started a topic discussing your main purpose for being here  If you need any help with the forums, feel free to PM a host, or go ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.  

Your location makes me think of one of life's fine beverages.  Do you enjoy the occasional glass of port wine?  What sorts of food do you enjoy preparing for yourself?

Thanks!

Yes Portugal has many excellent drinks! :) i do like Port, but i don't drink it as much as one would expect! A rare glass of white Port maybe during an appetizer. As for the red variety.. maybe with some cheese or a mildly sweet dessert.

My favorite Portuguese drink would be the delightfully fresh white wine, especially nice with seafood, or the hard spirit "aguardente", which you may find similar to aquavit.

I am now eating pork ribs (!) with ratatouille (typical Mediterranean ingredients) but with a Turkish twist of minty yogurt and some paprika.

I usually cook food from a lot of places (my mother is half french and i have southern Portuguese roots on her side, but my father is local from Porto), but I'd say that some that have a Portuguese root would be African inspired chicken curry (from the colonial times), a fish and prawns soup that is packed with cilantro (a touch of Alentejo), and seafood lentils with "chouriço", cilantro and roasted cherry tomatoes.

• Like 1

I love your country and want to see all of it. It's taking rather longer than I expect (Spain is my love supreme). But next time it will be Alentejo. The foods there speak to me. The wine and the pigs alone are worth the trip.

I do have a fantastic cookery book by Maria de Lourdes Modesto, and a few others. Btw, I have been to your city. (Did eat a few things there and drank a lot of port! Some photos here.)

What's your favourite Portuguese meal? Mine is Cozido à  Portuguesa.

PS: I did try African chicken in Macau. Give me cozido any day.

Edited by BonVivant (log)

Those are percebas!!! That is so delicious! Porto food culture is a.. little dark (like the Porto tripe dish or the heart attack inducing francesinha). I do not think it is as enlightened as say in Alentejo or in the inland. Did you visit Porto in the summer? (i guess so from the pictures) That is the fish on the grill season and sardines season, which are in my opinion worth the visit :)

Cozido is a real winner and probably a flagship of Portuguese dishes!

Though question.. I can't say i have a favorite, but i may have 4 or 5 i can't live without: octopus pataniscas, secretos de porco preto, punhetas de bacalhau (punhetas is a really rude word, so be careful, but the dish exists!), probably all soups and fish dishes from Alentejo, and basically anything my mother cooks when she's in the zone!!

Thanks for visiting our culture :) its really nice to have visitors around!