• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heston and the Fat Duck

well here is this :

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/31/heston-blumenthals-fat-duck-to-close-for-six-months-in-melbourne-move

""   Celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal says he will shut down his Fat Duck restaurant and temporarily relocate it to Australia for six months next year.  ""

temporarily ?

he did have an " intestinal "   issue, but seemed to recover 

soooo

who's Up ?

Interesting. Sounds as though he is 'testing the waters' in Melbourne. He will try out both the Fat Duck and Dinner there in the same venue, one after the other, so presumably (unless the 'experiment' fails) it sounds as though all his equipment, etc. will remain there (so it won't be returning to Britain - guess he is re-outfitting the Duck completely) and eventually it will mean that he has at least one Australian restaurant presence under either Fat Duck or Dinner name (or at least in the genre of one or the other) unless they both flop.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

got it.  HB is in deed a fan of publicity :

HB went down under as the Fat Duck is being renovated to be come the Fatter Duck

and he then might have deux Ducks  Some maybe fatter then the other

nice.

You chaps are a little behind the times - the Fat Duck has been and gone from this end of the world, and our very own Chris Taylor posted this review of Dinner, its replacement, back in February.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Haha, Lesliec. And we in the 'western world' pride ourselves on being up on everything important first. Or at least some do. I personally am not surprised that even in this day of the internet and instant gratifi(oops communi)cation we are far behind the times here in North America. We are sometimes (oftentimes) very insular here, while touting that we 'know everything'. Thanks for the 'update'.

I do now recall seeing Chris's review of Dinner but I guess it never sunk in that it was in Australia (since I know about the one in London - my daughter has been there - and didn't know it had been replicated in Australia). Chris didn't mention that in his introductory pictorial coverage. Someone in passing mentioned Melbourne later on in the thread but I guess that went over my head.

Im pretty sure, every thing Down Under  works differently.

not better , not worse.

after all, then you 'Drain your Bath'  or consider a flush of the Toilet, 

the whirl Pool, you know, goes the other way.

so maybe other stuff does too ?

unfortunately for me  Ive never been Down Under.

but I must say, Heston is a Very Crafty guy

if you see any of these vids, he of course take some sort of airplane that has ' compartments '

looks like European Train Compartments.  but much snazzier

love to find out the airline and the Bill Heston got !

not knowing enough about it, but full of Full Flavored Opinions :

the Down Under Heston's     seems to have more  "" Food "" on the plate than the Fat Duck.

• 6 years later...

I appreciate that this is an old thread but for those interested in Heston Blumenthal he seems to be happily settled in France these days.  He has been an excellent guest judge during the last two seasons of French “Top Chef”, new season about to start but one would need a VPN to view from outside France.

There are numerous French press articles, eg

https://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.fr/chefs-et-gastronomie/2692315-heston-blumenthal-est-de-retour-dans-top-chef/

• Like 1