• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Living Cookbook software

lindag

On the advice of a message board friend who is way more tech savvy than I, I am keeping my LC software and continuing to use it daily (being very mindful to back it up often).

My friend tells me there is nothing unusual about software that is abandoned (like LC) and there's really no reason to not use it as long as I continue to enjoy it.

• 1 year later...

I am using LC 2015 on a Windows 10 Pro desktop computer.  Almost 4000 recipes.  I am always looking for a replacement, but I continue to use LC 2015 because I have found no other software that offers the organization, functionality and configurability that LC offers.  As long as it works, it works.

The database is an Access database and the PW is very recoverable.  I was playing around one time, and the DB will import in MS SQL, and from there it all depends on how far someone can go with queries etc.

LC 2015 did stop working and would only partially load then close.  The solution was to uninstall, then re-install and restore the DB.  Just make sure you have you key saved and accessible.

Now for the real question.  Does anyone know what happened with Lee and Living Cookbook?  Is there any hope that some will pick up the software and move forward?

• Like 1

Is there a recipe software product that offers the folder, sub-folder organization of LC.  I have tried Master Cook 15, but the organization is not the same and I find it difficult to maneuver around. As an example, MC imported my LC cookbooks as cookbooks, but all chapters were not imported. My Food Network cookbook is there in MC, all recipes are listed, but the recipes are no longer grouped in cookbook chapters. The are no longer grouped by chef, type of food, and so on down the tree.  They now just one long list.   ...and the search continues.  I really like the chapter, sub chapter, sub chapter... concept.

• Like 1

I had your problem with my LC software when I got my Win10 desktop.  I uninstalled then reinstalled and then it was fine though I was for a time terrified that I’d lose all of my thousands of recipes I’d saved for many years.  Now I just backup often and keep my fingers crossed,

I've not heard anything about new activity within Living Cookbook in a couple of years and I haven't heard of anything equivalent and new coming along either.  I'm fortunate mine still works, I'd be devastated to lose all I've saved.

• Like 1

Just keep your Database, attachments and image files. Your information is all there.  If LC stops working, it would take some effort by someone who knows how to query a DB, but you can retrieve the recipes.

• 8 months later...

I too am a Living Cookbook devotee.  Has anyone out there found anything equally as good or better?  I use mine for my cooking school.  I have all my recipes, class handouts, shopping lists etc etc etc. in it.  So scared it will just stop working one day.    I've tried Cook'n and Paprika but they just don't cut it.  Think maybe I've been spoilt. Wish we could at least find out if anything is happening at all with it. 

Thanx in advance. ;-)

Bec

• 1 month later...

What's out there that replaces the wonderful but now defunct Living Cookbook recipe management software? My needs are simple: a huge database of ingredients, copy-and-paste import capability, logical organization, wildly flexible formatting capability, single-page printing and full-cookbook publishing capability, PDF export support, no ads, good support...well, basically everything LC15 did plus having iOS and Win 8.1/10 versions (and perhaps Mac and Android for the rest of the world), a fixed-price option (not a subscription), and of course I want a cherry on top: an Alexa skill so I can use it with my new Echo Show. Yes, I know I won't get all of this, but if you know of something that hits at least a few of these marks, I'd be very grateful for your suggestions.

I've been using Paprika as a supplement and backup to my LC-15.

It's okay in many ways except for the printing options.  I use mine on my PCs, and my Ipad Pro.  Printing is only acceptable on the tablet, and I have no reason why it doesn't work well on my PCs....the print is way too small and I can't find a way to change it.

On another note, I have heard a rumor that there is a new version of LC in the works for release some time in 2019....Again, it's just a rumor and I'm not holding my breath.

7 hours ago, lindag said:

On another note, I have heard a rumor that there is a new version of LC in the works for release some time in 2019....Again, it's just a rumor and I'm not holding my breath.

At first, I thought "Yippee" but if they're not going to get back to us then that's a reason to forget it!. Wish they could have sold it to someone with more energy and desire to keep it going.  It does pretty much everything I need for my cooking school.  Shame.

Edited by Rebecca McLeod (log)

I'm looking for a version of Living Cookbook earlier than v 5.0.85.  Unfortunately, the export function in v 5.0.85 does not create properly formatted fdx or fdxz export files.

The Paprika menu manager web site (https://paprikaapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/114094152774-I-m-having-trouble-importing-recipes-from-Living-Cookbook) recommends using a prior version of Living Cookbook to create these files:

Note: We've noticed that recent versions of Living Cookbook 2015 (v5.0.85) are creating broken export files that cannot be read past the first recipe. If you are having trouble importing a file from Living Cookbook, please try generating an export file using an older version (v5.0.76 or earlier) or their pre-release version (v5.0.89).

The 2008 version 2008 (lcsetup30.exe) cannot read the database of the 2015 version.  I'm hoping the 2013 version (lcsetup40.exe) can read the database .  If you have this release, or one of the others mentioned in the Paprika note above, please contact me.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:26 PM, phedrich said:

I'm looking for a version of Living Cookbook earlier than v 5.0.85.  Unfortunately, the export function in v 5.0.85 does not create properly formatted fdx or fdxz export files.

The Paprika menu manager web site (https://paprikaapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/114094152774-I-m-having-trouble-importing-recipes-from-Living-Cookbook) recommends using a prior version of Living Cookbook to create these files:

Note: We've noticed that recent versions of Living Cookbook 2015 (v5.0.85) are creating broken export files that cannot be read past the first recipe. If you are having trouble importing a file from Living Cookbook, please try generating an export file using an older version (v5.0.76 or earlier) or their pre-release version (v5.0.89).

The 2008 version 2008 (lcsetup30.exe) cannot read the database of the 2015 version.  I'm hoping the 2013 version (lcsetup40.exe) can read the database .  If you have this release, or one of the others mentioned in the Paprika note above, please contact me.

FYI, I think lcsetup30.exe is Living Cookbook 2011.  I have Living Cookbook 2008 and the file is called lcsetup20.exe.  I also have 2015 (lcsetup50.exe) and I can't get either one of them to successfully register because it can't reach the Living Cookbook registration server.  I have the option to manually activate but after I enter my CD key I get a prompt asking for an Unlock Key, which I don't have and have never had.  Anyone know how to get around this?  Or anyone want to lend me their CD key and Unlock Key to see if it'll work on my computer?

On 12/29/2018 at 9:26 PM, phedrich said:

PM'ed and an old copy of lcsetup40.exe provided to  test.

• 2 months later...

Hi, my computer crashed and required a complete reboot.  When I reinstalled my living cookbook software, I put in the serial number but do not have an unlock key to get it working.  I always made a backup of my files, but unfortunately nothing reads LCB except living cookbook.  I need a key to unlock my software, or someone to take pity on my and convert my file to something I can import to another cookbook program.  I really don't want to lose all my recipes!   I am so sad to lose Living cookbook, it was the best software I have found to organize recipes!

• 3 months later...

I found this forum because like so many others, hard drive crash created the opportunity for me to learn that "backup" to a ransom is not a back up at all. Without the defunct web site, our back ups are meaningless as far as the software we purchased.

I later found that MasterCook has a way to recover our files. I purchased the program and then on top of that bought a level 2 ticket for $75 and they converted my useless backup into my cookbooks in a form I can use in my new MasterCook software.

So I will teach myself this new software. But I immediately printed it to a pdf and saved it to removable media. I will NEVER let myself become dependent on a software provider like that again.  So while pricey, I am SO RELIEVED that I have my recipes back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HOST'S NOTE: The eG Forums are allowing this post by new member jtemplin as a service to our members, but we have not vetted the software itself. As always when installing software from unknown sources, please use care and take precautions before installing. The original post follows.

Hello folks,

I've become aware that there are still Living Cookbook users who have their recipes trapped in the software. We know Radium Technologies has stopped supporting the software for a few years now. But I see posts in cooking forums where hard drives fail, or computers are replaced, and folks can't get their software to work anymore because of license key issues.

I have written a free utility called Living Cookbook Rescue which can read one of your Living Cookbook 2015, 2013 or 2011 backup files (*.lcb) and then export:

• Files in Living Cookbook's native export format (*.fdx), which can be imported into other recipe software.
  • A nicely-formatted Microsoft Word document.
  • A plain text file.

The program gives you the option of producing a single, combined file with all your recipes, combined files grouped by cookbook, or individual files, one file per recipe. A combined Word document has a table of contents.

If you don't have a backup file, but your data is still in your Living Cookbook installation, there is a second utility program (FakeLCBackup) which looks for your data files and creates an *.lcb file usable as input.

The installer puts both utilities on your system along with a User Guide.

Living Cookbook 2015, 2013 and 2011 are only supported right now because those are the only working versions I have on any of my systems. The User Guide has an email address to connect with me to see if older versions can be added (I'll need volunteer recipe backup data from those older versions).

Living Cookbook Rescue can be downloaded here: www.livingcookbookrescue.com

If you know anyone with trapped recipes, please spread the word.

Regards,

Jon Templin

P.S. Some of you may remember me as Chef Jon in the Living Cookbook user forums. I was a very active participant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Mr. Templin!  My father-in-law now has his many years worth of recipes back, and I have been able to migrate to Paprika.  Your utilities are very much appreciated.  Thank you for putting in the time and effort to create them, and thank you for sharing them.

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you Jon Templin!!  I have been spending lots of time over the past few weeks trying various things to recover my Living Cookbook recipes.    I downloaded your utility and was able to convert my files to both a Word document (that is indexed with links like a Table of Contents by the way) and also to a .fdx file.  I am able to open file in Microsoft's Recipe Keeper so I know the conversion worked. I want to make Cook'n my main recipe software and have not been able to get files to upload there yet but I have emailed support and hopefully they can help me with this final step.  In the meantime at least I can see all my recipes including photos and comments that I added.  I had done many web searches had nearly given up on a solution and searched one more time last night and found this thread and your post from just a few days ago.  I could hardly contain my excitement! Thank you for sharing!!

I love hearing comments like phedrich's and Becky31's. It's so nice to hear that folks have been able to recover recipes they thought were lost forever.

Major thanks to the site host Chris for allowing me to post about Living Cookbook Rescue. I totally appreciate the risks taken allowing it. 

Jon T.

P.S. I just published Version 1.5 which adds being able to export MasterCook .mz2 files. Between .fdx and .mz2, folks can import their old recipes into nearly any modern recipe program. I'm using MasterCook 15 as a back-up myself, but Paprika 3 is a new, shiny object I need to try out.

I really wanted Cook'n to work for me - it has lots of bells and whistles like scanning in printed recipes from a photo.  But I'm still having issue getting my Living Cookbook recipes to import.  The FDX  files via LivingCookbookRescue  do not import all the time - I got one cookbook to load but the photos haven't yet.  Others say they are loading but then there are zero recipes in the cookbook.  And my biggest cookbook won't load at all.  

Paprika on the other hand seems to work great.  I have only loaded the free trial so far as I was trying to give Cook'n support time to work things out.  You can only load 50 recipes on the trial version but I had one file that only had 25 so I tried with that file and love how close they look to the Living Cookbook format.   Everything comes through - notes, sources, etc.  and all the pictures!  I've also had better luck with the web import feature.  I'm a big America's Test Kitchen fan and Paprika loads recipes from their site with one click.  Cook'n does not recognize the ATK recipes as being in the correct format so I have to do a lot of copy and paste.  There are a couple other websites I like that work better with Paprika also. Plus its a one time purchase as opposed to a monthly subscription.  I haven't quite given up on Cook'n as their support people have been excellent in working with me and they just released a big update yesterday.  But I'm leaning more toward Paprika as my replacement at this point. 

Thanks again Jon  - without your utility I wouldn't even have the option to try out these programs and see how my recipes look in each of them! And having the Word version of them is great as I can look at it to compare and see if any LCB fields are missing from the programs I am testing.

OK, now I really have to try Paprika. It's on the to-do list. I've been frustrated with the sloooooow pace of development at MasterCook. I've used it for 3 years now, and all the online things they've promised have yet to happen. The Windows client is ugly, ugly, ugly, and that will never change. Time to switch, I think.

FYI--one of my key tests of Living Cookbook Rescue is that I take the fdx files it writes and I import them BACK INTO Living Cookbook itself. If Living Cookbook itself can import them flawlessly, the fdx I'm writing is totally legit. And just to make sure, I also directly compare the fdx files I write with the fdx files straight out of Living Cookbook for the exact same recipes coming from the exact same database. There are no differences that matter to the underlying XML format that fdx uses. My goal has always been to create highly-compatible fdx files like ones Living Cookbook would write itself.

The upshot--I'd bet my house that if you're having problems with importing, the problem lies with their import code, not the fdx. If Living Cookbook accepts my fdx, the other software should as well.

Jon T.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, jtemplin said:

OK, now I really have to try Paprika. It's on the to-do list. I've been frustrated with the sloooooow pace of development at MasterCook. I've used it for 3 years now, and all the online things they've promised have yet to happen. The Windows client is ugly, ugly, ugly, and that will never change. Time to switch, I think.

FYI--one of my key tests of Living Cookbook Rescue is that I take the fdx files it writes and I import them BACK INTO Living Cookbook itself. If Living Cookbook itself can import them flawlessly, the fdx I'm writing is totally legit. And just to make sure, I also directly compare the fdx files I write with the fdx files straight out of Living Cookbook for the exact same recipes coming from the exact same database. There are no differences that matter to the underlying XML format that fdx uses. My goal has always been to create highly-compatible fdx files like ones Living Cookbook would write itself.

The upshot--I'd bet my house that if you're having problems with importing, the problem lies with their import code, not the fdx. If Living Cookbook accepts my fdx, the other software should as well.

Jon T.

I have tried your software and cannot get it to work, will not open files, just a whole lot of stuff in my download file, tried to email you but your email is not working, am I missing something??? I tried fdx and then convert, doesn't work, tried txt and it doesn't work, tried doc and it doesn't work, yikes I don't know what to do, right now I am trying to delete everything that has been put into my computer so it doesn't clog it up....

Jon,  just to give you a continued update I went ahead and purchased the full version of Paprika and have loaded all my Living Cookbook files with no issues.  Everything works great!   There is slight difference in how Paprika captures source info (it doesn't have an Author category separate from the Source).  Like it may say Food Network or copy the URL if I had one saved but it doesn't list the chef's name.   But since I have the Word version to look at I can add that in manually if it is important to me. I am sure you are right about the import code on the other program.  Their support staff set up a live connection with me but when I reviewed exactly what problem I was having and how far I had gotten with your utility and that it appeared to be a problem on their import code they didn't have anything else to try other than to ask me to send them my FDX files and let them try them.  I haven't done that yet as I am happy with Paprika and can still use Cook'n if I really want to scan in hand printed or copied recipes - that is a nice feature.  And they have a built in option to print a family cookbook as I may want to do sometime.  I can always do those things with basic (free) subscription,.  But I'm happy to have my LCB files accessible again and I actually like how Paprika uses categories instead of cookbooks and chapters now that I have worked in it for a while.  And it is only $30 for the computer version and $5 for the iPhone app and it syncs between the two perfectly.  Thanks again for the work you did to develop the utility.  

• Like 1