• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Safety question

robie

I make a cocktail called a Bolshevik.  It has 3 components.

1.  Beet vodka (soak peeled raw beets in vodka x 48 hours, drain, store in refrigerator)

2.  Basil simple syrup (cook a lot of basil in water, remove, add an equal amount of sugar, boil x 5 minutes, store in fridge)

3.  Lemon juice (done fresh).

I have some beet vodka and basil simple syrup left over from about 2 months ago.  It has been continuously refrigerated and I was careful with cleanliness when making them.  Do you think they're still safe to consume?

Ditto. The vodka is the vodka liquid not the beets right?

If it looks good I'd eat it. If you are serving paid guests definitely try a shot first, but I'd try both of those comfortably in a domestic context.

I, another non-professional, also think it's unlikely to be any more unsafe than the same cocktail would be made from fresh ingredients.  It seems more likely that the flavors may have gone off but that's easy enough to test.