• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry advice needed to novice!

J.Green

Hello, 

I'm new to the forums and am excited to read and soak in all of the information here!

Background: I've been a savory cook (no culinary school) for the first 4 years of my restaurant career and within the last year or so, have recently decided to switch to pastry/bread. I then started to work at a bakery for a while, eventually working at a restaurant again due to unforeseen circumstances. Currently, I've gained some pull at the restaurant and have some control over the dessert side of the menu. 

Question: I've come to find the difference between savory and pastry completely interesting. The idea of savory cooks literally not caring about menu items - astounding. This only adds to my re-invigorated sense of appreciation for pastry cooks/chefs and cooking in general.

Is there any advice for someone with no pastry-culinary school experience trying to be a pastry chef in a fine-dining atmosphere? Are there fundamentals being missed out by doing so? And what material sources (books, blogs, etc.) are key to fine-dining dessert concepts with no proper professional training (staging, assisting)?

Thank you so much the opportunity to ask!

• Like 1