• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

I drink a hot mixture of honey, lemon and rum if I have a really bad cough. I admit that concoction is a bit hard to carry in one's purse but then again, I don't often feel like travelling long distances if I have a cough bad enough to warrant the use of any kind of 'medication' so it has worked for me so far (and I get enough rum that I no longer much care about the cough! :) ).

I admire your wanting to make your own drops but what is the purpose, in your opinion, of trying to add what would amount to a miniscule amount of real liquor (and as pastrygirl points out, little if anything but the flavour would remain)? Why not just use an 'extract' if the flavour is what you are going for?

Deryn

Deryn

I drink a hot mixture of honey, lemon and rum for a cough. I admit that concoction is a bit hard to carry in one's purse but then again, I don't often feel like travelling long distances if I have a cough bad enough to warrant the use of any kind of 'medication' so it has worked for me so far (and I get enough rum that I no longer much care about the cough! :) ).

I admire your wanting to make your own drops but what is the purpose, in your opinion, of trying to add what would amount to a miniscule amount of real liquor (and as pastrygirl points out, little if anything but the flavour would remain)? Why not just use an 'extract' if the flavour is what you are going for?

Deryn

Deryn

I drink hot mixture of honey, lemon and rum for a cough. I admit that concoction is a bit hard to carry in one's purse but then again, I don't often feel like travelling long distances if I have a cough bad enough to warrant the use of any kind of 'medication' so it has worked for me so far (and I get enough rum that I no longer much care about the cough! :) ).

Deryn

Deryn

I drink hot mixture of honey, lemon and rum for a cough. I admit that concoction is a bit hard to carry in one's purse but then again, I don't often feel like travelling long distances if I have a cough bad enough to warrant the use of any kind of 'medication' so it has worked for me so far (and I get enough rum that I no longer much care about the cough! :) ).

I admire your wanting to make your own drops but what is the purpose, in your opinion, of trying to add what would amount to a miniscule amount of real liquor (and as pastrygirl points out, little if anything but the flavour would remain). Why not just use an 'extract' if the flavour is what you are going for?

Deryn

Deryn

I admire your wanting to make your own drops but what is the purpose, in your opinion, of trying to add what would amount to a miniscule amount of real liquor (and as pastrygirl points out, little if anything but the flavour would remain - why not just use an 'extract' if the flavour is what you are going for?)?