• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoosier Hill Farm

ElsieD

I came across this site the other day:

www.hoosierhillfarm.com

They have a bunch of intriguing products that I don't normally see stocked in the grocery stores.  Dehydrated butter, for one.  Has anyone used their products?   Are they any good?  Amazon users for the most part seem to like them.

I guess I have to ask, is dehydrated butter just a powder? Add water to re-hydrate? Aside from backpackers wanting to conserve weight and preppers seeking long term storage, why would such a thing be appealing?

p

They make good products. One of my favorites is their porcini mushroom powder which is an excellent addition to soups, stews, and risotto (and as part of a rub for grilled meats). The particle size on that powder is better than I can get from buying mushrooms and blending them myself. Their spray-dried cheese powders are also good and are great for topping for popcorn or homemade potato chips. I haven't used the dehydrated butter, but I imagine it'd be good for that purpose too. I've also purchased whole spices from them and have been pleased with the quality/price ratio. Most, if not all, of their products are available on Amazon, where you can check out reviews. Give them a try!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palo said:

I guess I have to ask, is dehydrated butter just a powder? Add water to re-hydrate? Aside from backpackers wanting to conserve weight and preppers seeking long term storage, why would such a thing be appealing?

p

I don't know much about any of their products and about some, I know nothing, dehydrated butter being a case in point.  That is why I started this post, to see what people know about their products.

Dehydrated butter (in #10 cans) is a very common thing to find in the pantries and storage rooms of 'preppers' (me included). It really is not useful for putting on toast (and honestly I wouldn't even try to 'rehydrate' it the way one might a peanut butter powder) but it works well for baking (and sauces too). Haven't tried the ones from the supplier you mentioned, ElsieD, but I have bought several cans in the US from Emergency Essentials and similar places. They do vary in quality however - so if you are in the market for some, I suggest you do some research first to see what 'preppers' say about a particular brand.

I see HoosierHill's powdered butter only stores short term (in my opinion - about a year) but that is probably because of the packaging more than anything - and is GMO free which is good but those things are also reflected in the price which I think is fairly high compared to others on the market (which may not be identified as GMO-free mind you).

For butter that will store fairly long term but will be great on toast, etc., go for Red Feathers canned butter (which is real butter, not dehydrated).

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1