• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy priced food

gfweb

This from our sort of local designer supermarket. Its in a wealthy neighborhood and has comical prices. I go there occasionally for cheese.  A tiny NY strip will go for $15...a yellow 1lb cauliflower for $5. And this 11lb ish goose for over a hundred.  And it will be gone tomorrow.

23333.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 5

$100 plus sounds like a lot for a goose but that is a free-range, no antibiotics/no hormones 'happy' goose for less than $10 a pound. Hate to say it but that is a better price than I would pay here for a dour, caged, stringy goose with raging hormones (but no antibiotics, mind you).

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

Goose is most definitely a luxury. The last time I bought one many, many years ago it was close to $70 and did not approach the quality of this one.  It is not just the initial cost but the fact that meat to bone ratio does not make it a bargain. Still.....I do love goose. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We usually have goose at Christmas, and the last one cost 50 quid from our local butcher, who gets it direct from a local farmer, so yeah, it does seem expensive. 

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

PS

@gfweb  

maybe you could take a few pics of that place ?

it would be entertaining   

OK

Its a pretty place.

It'll be a while before I get back though.

• Like 4

Been ages since I cooked a goose. Any idea how many servings one could get out of it?  eG recently determined that a chicken will serve 6 or 7 if one counts the salad.

Today's price-shocker at Wegmans, Elmira, NY

Wegmans Veggie Noodles (spiralized zucchini and yellow squash)....a jaw-dropping $6.99 per lb!!!!! :blink:

I'm shocked that there are folks who will buy it!!!

Insanity!!!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

goose needs SV.  

collect all the  goose fat if you like it, and do the skin differently  i.e. double pan'd w parchment in the Breville until crisp.

although the breast from the goose  is 'dark'  its delicious rare.  make sure you  get rid of those Br tendons.

personally I would not dream of conventionally roasting a goose.

of course, you might deconstruct one and put on stuffing  ( 2 - 3 x amounts ) in a large pan and roast it that way

then the trimmings would make a stock  ( ip'd ) which you would use for the stuffing that's under the goose parts you choose to

roast on top of the stuffing.

Edited by rotuts (log)

17 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Today's price-shocker at Wegmans, Elmira, NY

Wegmans Veggie Noodles (spiralized zucchini and yellow squash)....a jaw-dropping $6.99 per lb!!!!! :blink:

I'm shocked that there are folks who will buy it!!!

Insanity!!!

Yeah, but those free-range, pastured vegetables are expensive. I mean, they roam far and wide and don't take kindly to being herded. it takes several farmhands all day to wrangle enough for just one day's worth of noodle production.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 9

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm rich, I'm rich I tell ya.  Some mornings we awake to 30 or more Canadas on the pond. Earlier this spring, I could have paid off the place with snow geese. And boy are they free range.  Just walk across the yard after they have been grazing on it! You know they have "ranged" thereO.o

Also have blue winged teal, wood ducks, mergansers, and a pair of coots. (Oh wait, that last item is me and the hubby)   If you want them, I'll throw a muskrat in for free with every $100 worth of geese.

Have fixed one goose in my life and I set off a huge grease fire in our first apartment.  I still remember the mess so never again.  

• Like 11

Why not suggest a food truck featuring goose dishes? The Flying Goose , We Will Cook your Goose.  Possibilities are endless just like the damn geese appear to be.

Many years ago, The Iowa Dept. of Natural Resources rounded up Canada geese and took them to Canada at the request of a local government agency there.  Their local population had been wiped out and they needed a new supply.  We were happy to do it!  Hard to imagine any place actually having a shortage of them isn't it?

• Like 2

big mistake, Iowa.

there are no Canadiene's in the my BOS area.  nice.  plenty of Deer and Deer Ticks.

i lived on L.I for a few years.  A Bazzilion down there.  Greasy lawns if you know what i mean.

way before SV

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Have fixed one goose in my life and I set off a huge grease fire in our first apartment.  I still remember the mess so never again.  

Haha!  The last time that I cooked a goose (on the rotisserie grill),  my neighbors called the fire department. They thought my house was on fire. My well-intentioned neighbor had a bit too much eggnog but bravely came running over anyway to try to save us. LOL 

• Like 1

I had goose only once, in Germany -- but I wish I lived in walking distance of that store.  (I live just out of walking distance of a similar purveyor,)

Note:  For a price, D'artagnan will ship.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've only had goose one time. I don't think I've ever seen it in a store anywhere, although I'm sure if one looked, they could get it around the holidays.

My second husband's uncle had a country place on several acres an hour so out of Memphis outside Collierville, TN. We were married out there on his place, and a while after that, the uncle called him and asked him to come shoot a problem Canadian goose that had settled on their pond. He was the best shot in the family, and we had contests shooting a quarter nailed to a fence post from distance regularly with .22 rifles. It seems the goose was making airborne attack dives at people just trying to get from their cars to inside the house. It was scary because the feathered beast had a wingspan of about 6 feet. It probably wasn't a legal kill even back then in the mid eighties, but there were stills out around there, and if I were a game warden, I don't think I would have made that area a priority, if you know whut I mean.

He got it with one shot from a .22 through the neck, and the uncle's lab retrieved it from the pond. My husband plucked and gutted it, and we took it home and I cooked it in my Brinkman smoker for hours. @cdhis right. It was really gamy, REALLY gamy. But I was determined to eat it, and earn my creds as a proper country girl. :)

I would not be in the market for a $116 goose, even if it tasted a lot better than mine did. Good thing it was there for the rich folks, though. xD

@gfwebI'd also love to see some pics from your upscale market to see how the other half lives.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <