• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slightly smelly cod

robie

Hi btbyrd.  I portioned and froze the fish the day of purchase (the day it smelled).  The bottom line is that it defrosted in the fridge.  I did the lemon/water soak and scrub and it still smells.  Trash.

I bought some chicken tenderloins at Kroger and am defrosting some Trader Joes sole.  The chicken is fine.  I will make sure the sole is OK, then fry away.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2016 at 7:58 AM, Ann_T said:

I'm with Liuzhou. .   I'm very picky about fish so it there was even the hint of a fishy smell, it would be tossed.

We live on the west coast and I buy fresh fish right down at the Bay. Never once have I found fresh to be fishy. 

And when we lived in Toronto, there were a number of fish shops and again, fresh fish never smelled fishy.

I used to sell my fresh Springs/Ling cod/Rock cod/Dungeness crab/prawns to the fish store that's long gone now in 'The Bay'. At one time the owner also had the Post Office which his wife ran.

I know the fish store you are referring to. The owners fish out of Rupert, where I also used to sometimes fish out of.

At the time I had three commercial licenses which meant I could catch pretty much anything in the ocean. I sold off the boat at the Government wharf in Cow. Bay and Victoria and Steveston, Ganges, Campbell River, Courtenay, Powell River. You name it.

99% of the 'fresh fish' the store at the 'Bay sells is bought from distributors from the mainland.

Believe me. That fish has all been 'de-gassed'. Even a 'fresh' Spring salmon caught near Rupert can be a week old from the time it's caught until it ends up in the display counter at the 'Bay.

For what it's worth I buy all my fresh seafood at Thrifty's in Duncan. Thrifties have their own 'cash buyers' who go out to the boats and buy the day's catch. In twelve hours that fish can be displayed for sale in the Thrifties fish counters.

I personally know the seafood dept. manager for twenty years now. No one takes getting the absolute freshest fish to the customer more seriously than he does.

Other local fish stores display the fish for a couple of days. If it doesn't sell it's 'degassed AGAIN! and Cryo Packed and frozen to be be sold later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robie said:

Hi btbyrd.  I portioned and froze the fish the day of purchase (the day it smelled).  The bottom line is that it defrosted in the fridge.  I did the lemon/water soak and scrub and it still smells.  Trash.

I bought some chicken tenderloins at Kroger and am defrosting some Trader Joes sole.  The chicken is fine.  I will make sure the sole is OK, then fry away.

Thanks all!

Ah, I misunderstood your timeline! Sorry that the lemon/water soak didn't take care of the issue for you. It's a shame to have to throw things out, but sometimes that's all you can do. Hope things work better for the sole!