• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

robie

robie

About a week ago, I bought some cod fillet at Costco.  It had been packed the day before and IIRC, the sell by date was for 3 days later.  When I opened the package to portion and freeze the cod (I didn't cook any just then), it smelled fishy.  It had not been a hot day during transport and I have a fair amount of confidence in Costco's freshness.  I have also smelled somewhat fishy fish that has been just fine once cooked.  I do feel confident that that fish is safe to eat (firm texture, not slimy, no evidence of past its prime except smell).

I plan to defrost, rinse, and re-do the sniff test.  If still OK, I'm thinking about doing in a cioppino to mitigate the smell.  Any other ideas?

EDIT:  If it still stinks after defrost and rinsing, I will toss it and have a little less confidence in Costco fish.

robie

robie

About a week ago, I bought some cod fillet at Costco.  It had been packed the day before and IIRC, the sell by date was for 3 days later.  When I opened the package to portion and freeze the cod (I didn't cook any just then), it smelled fishy.  It had not been a hot day during transport and I have a fair amount of confidence in Costco's freshness.  I have also smelled somewhat fishy fish that has been just fine once cooked.  I do feel confident that that fish is safe to eat (firm texture, not slimy, no evidence of past its prime except smell).

I plan to defrost, rinse, and re-do the sniff test.  If still OK, I'm thinking about doing in a cioppino to mitigate the smell.  Any other ideas?