• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

M&Ms: The Discussion

Toliver

A new M&M premiering next year:

"M&M's gets a trendy new filling: Caramel"

For the first time in the 75-year history of the brand, the candy company is embracing a caramel filling that will become a permanent member of the M&M family.

Sign me up! I love caramel. Can't wait to try them.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 7 months later...

I forgot this thread existed.

M&M's has announced another new "permanent" flavor: White Chocolate (click for the article)

Today, BrandEating reported that White Chocolate M&M's are now available year-round. This is noteworthy because for a long time, this M&M's flavor would only come to store shelves during certain times of year.

I haven't seen them in the local stores, yet.

My boss recently vacationed in Memphis, Tennessee, and said he found a new flavor there called "Roasted Honeynut" M&M's. He said he liked the Caramel M&M's better.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

We recently tried a couple of their other new flavors, caramel and coffee. The caramel was not impressive at all and certainly not one we would buy again. The caramel wasn't chewy and was actually somewhat dry, this could have been because the quantity was so small became overwhelmed by the chocolate and coding.

The coffee on the other hand was much better and tasted kind of like espresso beans but a little smoother because of the chocolate. This is when we would consider buying again.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

While I'm crazy for peanuts in any form I find I prefer the pretzel M&Ms.  I've noticed that occasionally the peanuts in the Peanut M&Ms can become a tad rancid tasting; maybe I stored them too long.

In may somewhat remote area we don't get many of the new and novel kinds.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

M&M's has announced another new flavor contest:

"M&M’s Wants You to Pick Its Next Flavor Again"

Crunchy Mint, Crunchy Raspberry, and Crunchy Espresso were first sent to select retailers last month, but have finally been shipped to stores nationwide, and people across the country are being encouraged to participate in M&M’s second “Flavor Vote”—with the online ballot set to be open until May 25.

On the outside, these new limited-edition flavors feature M&M’s signature colored candy shell, but inside, they deviate from your standard M&M’s in a number of ways: First, all three are made with dark chocolate. And second, to earn their “Crunchy” credentials, they also feature a rice crisp center: The Raspberry variety has a regular rice crisp center while the Mint and Espresso version have a cocoa rice crisp center for an extra chocolate pop.

Has anyone tried the new flavors?

Tim Oliver

If I see the espresso and the Mint

I might try them !

I remember Coca Cripies

The Cereal

I could eat a whole box at once 

then enjoy the SugarBomb  Chocolate Milk at the Bottom !

Time change though .....................

• Like 1

I am eating the crunchy raspberry, since I am compelled to try anything raspberry flavored. Not enough raspberry flavor, but the crunchy texture is nice. The candy shells are 3 colors, red, brown, and cream. They are sort of irregularly shaped due to the crunch center (ie, not perfectly smooth discs like standard ones). I think the mint flavor may be the best best, if they do it right it would be similar to Thin Mints. If anyone is looking for these, I bought mine at Walgreens.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I just opened my bag of Strawberry Nut, purchased over a month ago. (best by date 10/2018) They taste kind of stale. Normally, I love anything involving strawberry and chocolate, but these were just kind of odd. Maybe it's because I am used to better quality strawberry filled chocolates, I don't know. The shells seemed a bit off as well. Colors are red, pink, and light green. The bag is mostly light pink with green bands on the ends, the Yellow character is featured holding a basket of flowers. IIRC, this was a springtime promotion although I purchased my bag just before Valentine's day.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 2:34 PM, Toliver said:

M&M's has announced another new flavor contest:

"M&M’s Wants You to Pick Its Next Flavor Again"

Has anyone tried the new flavors?

I have seen a display of these in two Fry's (Kroger) locations here in Phoenix. I purchased some raspberry because I know I won't like the other two. Agree that the raspberry flavor could be stronger.

BTW, got the strawberry nut M&Ms at Walgreens. They actually seem to stock a lot of promotional candy, at least from the big US companies. I recall getting some amazing raspberry Hershey's kisses there in 2007 -which I could not find anyplace else.

• Like 1

Sara Moulton in today's podcast with Ed Levine says she eats 6 I think peanut ones as lunch dessert every day - my hero . I lived on the things in law school. Don't agree with her need for them to be frozen!   

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

"Love Nutella? M&M's is finally coming out with a hazelnut spread flavor"

On Tuesday, M&M's announced that it is coming out with Hazelnut Spread M&M's. OK, so the chocolate maker is not going to be using authentic Nutella in its candies, but the brand got things so right with its Caramel M&M's last year, so hopefully they will develop a new creamy filling that blows Hoda Kotb away ... again!...
The Hazelnut Spread M&M's won't be available on store shelves until April 2019...

Something to look forward to?

Tim Oliver

Kill me now. I'm still trying to restrain myself from buying the caramel ones every time I see them. Fortunately, I can no longer eat much candy or sweets at a sitting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com