• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shaoxing wine or Sake?

pufin3

Dry sherry or even cooking sherry is a much better substitute for shaoxing wine than sake.  Or if you can find cooking shaoxing wine or plain Chinese cooking wine - these ones have salt added.  

If you only need a small amount - say, to marinate meat - you could probably get away with using sake in a pinch.  But it definitely won't be the same.  And I don't recommend using shaoxing in place of sake - it would change the flavour of your finished dish drastically.

Coincidentally, I'm making a dish right now that needs shaoxing for marinating the meat and also in the sauce, but I've just discovered I don't have quite enough wine.  I might need to make up the difference with a bit of sake (no sherry to be had in the house).

2 hours ago, Beebs said:

Or if you can find cooking shaoxing wine or plain Chinese cooking wine - these ones have salt added.  

That depends where you are. They aren't salted everywhere. Mainly only in the USA and Canada, as far as I  can gather. I'm not sure where the OP is.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Right. The province of BC has really dumb, antiquated liquor laws and the only cooking wine allowed for sale in the grocery stores here are the heavily salted ones.  And the non-salted stuff from the liquor stores is not cheap either. >:(

Last night I ended up using half shaoxing and half sake (for Taiwanese braised pork sauce on rice - lu ruo fan).  The sake didn't affect the dish as far as I could tell, but there are a bunch of other ingredients in there anyway.  

To the OP - what would you use shaoxing for?