• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

Host's note: this topic is continued from Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Ive temporarily misplaced my note book for the IP

as I recall for Cut up potatoes, pressure-steam, its 7 minutes, the a 10 minute release ?

and for HB eggs pressure-steam it was   ..... ?

Im inundated to paper that seems to float around all over the place.

many thanks.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

@rotuts, back in this post, you said:

a couple of things Ive noticed after two uses, both for Bliss potato salad.

unless I see and read otherwise here, Im using " Hip Pressure Cooking"  by Laura Pazzaglia as my as my guide, both for timings, and perhaps Rx's

i done two sets of BP for eventual salad.  Its a 7 minute Rx w a 10 minute 'natural ralease' pp 80 in the book.  this is for 2 lbs of potatoes.

• Like 1

then there is this one, a clone of sorts :

Gourmia GP-600 Smartpot 8-in-1 Programmable MultiFunction Pressure Cooker Steamer Slow Cooker Cooking Pot, Stainless Steel, 6 quart

note it has an 8 qt version

interface has to have been copied or the company is selling two versions !

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon Link format (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

then there is this one, a clone of sorts :

Gourmia GP-600 Smartpot 8-in-1 Programmable MultiFunction Pressure Cooker Steamer Slow Cooker Cooking Pot, Stainless Steel, 6 quart

note it has an 8 qt version

interface has to have been copied or the company is selling two versions !

That one has the non-stick pot rather than stainless steel like the IP.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon Link format (log)
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That one has the non-stick pot rather than stainless steel like the IP.

Which would be a better liner: nonstick or stainless steel?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Which would be a better liner: nonstick or stainless steel?

Stainless, stainless, stainless. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Host's note: this topic is continued from Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Ive temporarily misplaced my note book for the IP

as I recall for Cut up potatoes, pressure-steam, its 7 minutes, the a 10 minute release ?

and for HB eggs pressure-steam it was   ..... ?

Im inundated to paper that seems to float around all over the place.

many thanks.

The Evernote app for my phone has become my savior for such scraps of paper. Then I also have a little notebook that lives on top of the microwave.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A friend gave me some pretty 'Pink Lemonade" lemons so I followed @Anna N in making a batch of Instant Pot lemon marmalade, using the method she described here and here.   I made a lemon-rosemary version by putting a couple of springs of rosemary into the the Instant Pot for the pressure cook step.  I removed them before adding the sugar but put a tiny, fresh sprig into each jar before processing. The rosemary flavor does come through but next time, I think I might pound the rosemary a bit to bruise it and put it in a mesh bag during the PC step. 

The leaves of this particular variety of lemon tree and the lemon skins are somewhat variegated and the flesh is a pretty light pink color but they taste like a regular Eureka lemon. 

IMG_2712.jpg

I sliced the lemons with a V-slicer (aka Oxo mandoline)  I also included 2 limes and cut them thinner in hopes of tempering bitterness.  

IMG_2713.jpg

The finished product is unfortunately not the same pretty pink of the raw fruit but I think it's more golden in color than I'd get with regular Eureka lemons.

Quality control assay here, on a little piece of toast with homemade ricotta:

IMG_2714.jpg

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, palo said:

Help with cooking times. Cottage roll. Usually I boil then glaze for oven. Any help with instant pot.

p

I've never had cottage roll...I googled, though.  Sounds kind of similar to corned beef?  I just did corned beef on St. Pat's Day in the IP.  High pressure, 90 mins.  Natural release.

At long last, I have completed my Instant Pot curriculum, originally posted here back in Nov.  My IP starter list:

• Rice
  • The mac & cheese that Anna N made from this site
  • Beans - I saved the handy Rancho Gordo bean list.  I have not been a fan of PC beans in the past, but I liked the Deborah Madison suggestion that RG passed along to cook unsoaked beans 20' in the PC and then 20' with the lid off.
  • Grains - I made some wheat berries recently that took a long time to cook and would like to replicate that recipe in the IP
  • Edited to add:  the whole pumpkin à la hummingbirdkiss
  • Kenji's Pressure Cooker Ragù Bolognese - this one will require some shopping so not sure how long it will take me to get to it

And of course, RIBS! Of course, I've used it for lots of things in the meantime but I finally got around to the ribs!  Nothing really new here, but it's sort of my IP graduation so I'm documenting it for you here.   

Yesterday, I noticed these nice little small packages of baby back ribs and I figured they were quite approachable for a solo eater. 

IMG_2736.jpg

I used the method from the basic NPR pressure cooker ribs and the ingredients from this Sticky Marmalade Glazed Ribs recipe from Food & Wine because I have lots of marmalade. Lots. xD.

The rub was just ground fennel seed, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.  Here they are at the end of the IP cook:

IMG_2737.jpg

And after glazing and some time in the Cuisi oven:

IMG_2738.jpg

Finally, on the plate for my graduation lunch, served with IP cooked potato salad with asparagus and red bell pepper on a bed of arugula:

IMG_2739.jpg

• Like 10

Split pea soup made in the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker.

peasoup.jpg

4 cups chicken stock

2 cups water

1/2 lb split peas

1 medium onion, diced

1/4 tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, minced)

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1 lb carrots, cut into chunks

1 lb ham steak, cut into chunks

1/4 tsp liquid smoke

1/4 cup cream sherry

1 tbs olive oil

Saute the onions in the pot with the oil until translucent.  Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.  Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, then use natural pressure release.  

Note that I used 4 cups of stock/broth and 2 cups of water because the chicken stock comes in a 32 oz (4 cup) container and I didn't want to open and use half of another container.  I have done that and I can't say using all stock makes a big difference in the flavor.  Also, this soup will be a little thin the first day, but will thicken considerably by the second.

Also, you can substitute lentils for the peas if desired.

Do not omit the oil, it's necessary to keep the soup from foaming in the pot.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Reason no. 5,387 why I love my IP: Came home from my volunteer shift at the soup kitchen with an unexpected gift of a smoked pork tenderloin, so now in my IP are a half-pound of RG alubia blanco beans, with molasses, dry mustard, regular grainy mustard, brown sugar and bacon.  Boston baked beans, pork tenderloin, potato salad, jail slaw in the fridge already. We'll eat well tonight!

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

Well, update to the above post. Cooked the beans at 45 minutes, high pressure, quick release. Still hard. Went for another 30 minutes, high pressure, quick release. Hard. Gritted my teeth and went again for 45 minutes, high pressure. Still. Hard. 

They are still in the IP, on slow cook, set to go all night. These damn beans will be done when I get up in the morning, or I will know the reason why.

Had my tenderloin (which was exceptional, but would have been even more so alongside some beans) with potato salad and jail slaw. Not sure what I'll have to go with beans tomorrow.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Well, update to the above post. Cooked the beans at 45 minutes, high pressure, quick release. Still hard. Went for another 30 minutes, high pressure, quick release. Hard. Gritted my teeth and went again for 45 minutes, high pressure. Still. Hard. 

They are still in the IP, on slow cook, set to go all night. These damn beans will be done when I get up in the morning, or I will know the reason why.

Had my tenderloin (which was exceptional, but would have been even more so alongside some beans) with potato salad and jail slaw. Not sure what I'll have to go with beans tomorrow.

Those beans must have been a little long in the tooth.

HC

They'd been in my pantry less than six months. I cooked the first half of the bag, after presoaking, with no problems. Don't know what the issue was this time.

Don't ask. Eat it.

11 hours ago, kayb said:

I can't find my post, but I had the same thing happen with some RG beans.  They were not the same kind as you used.   I did at least 3 45 min rounds (was making baked beans like you were) and they still weren't done.  I gave up and did another round the next morning and they were great.  Not blaming the beans at all.  They were not old.  I decided that I needed to plan ahead better and soak them next time but I dunno if that would have helped.

image.jpeg

Very simple beef stew. Made for my son-in-law but quality control dictated that I must have a small bowl for my lunch. Served in a pudding bowl as I was feeling nostalgic.  

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

what type of beef did you use and how did yoyo make the stock    looks very good !

beef  ( certain cuts ) has gotten very affordable  recently  :  2.88 for 80/20 burger, 3 lbs or more  but ground all day in the store's butchers section

and various shoulder 'cuts'  that might have enough taste for something like the above.

did you use a dedicated Rx or from personal experience. ?

thanks

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

what type of beef did you use and how did yoyo make the stock    looks very good !

beef  ( certain cuts ) has gotten very affordable  recently  :  2.88 for 80/20 burger, 3 lbs or more  but ground all day in the store's butchers section

and various shoulder 'cuts'  that might have enough taste for something like the above.

did you use a dedicated Rx or from personal experience. ?

thanks

This was a hunk of blade that I picked up sometime back and was in my freezer.   I had cut it up myself for stew which turned out to be very unfortunate as my son-in-law was hankering after a pot roast.  The butcher he had approached for such a roast sold him him a strip loin roast! DUH. I would love to tell you how I slaved over the stock but the truth is came from a jar labelled Better than Bouillon. ( this was an impromptu affair.) No recipe. Dried off the beef, seasoned well with salt and pepper, browned it well  and set it aside. Added large chopped up onion and three minced cloves of garlic to the pan and softened them up.  Added a very generous two glugs of tomato paste from a tube and cooked that for a bit, deglazed with a glass of Shiraz, reduced that to almost nothing then added two and a half cups of beef stock, a bay leaf, a little too much dried thyme and some salt and pepper.  Pressure cooked on high for 15 minutes,  slow release, added cut up carrots and potatoes returned to high-pressure for five minutes and then quick release.   Removed all the solids to a bowl and thickened up the liquid with a flour and water slurry before returning all the solids.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

what the BTBoullion  at the does you used result in a salty 'jus?'   i use Minors pastes  but the lower salt beef stock is not particularly tasty.

Ill try a hunk of 2.99 shoulder or get some and bag and freeze

thanks.

BTW  when you IP eggs for HB eggs are they at refrigerator temp or room temp ?

many thanks.

Doesn't seem especially salty but it would not matter one iota.  I have great affection for my son-in-law but he is one of those people who empties the salt shaker onto his meal before he ever even tastes it.  Generally my eggs come right out of the fridge.  It is possible I have faffed around when experimenting but much more likely that they were fridge cold. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog