• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

so you IP pot have ' scale ? '

doesn't vinegar and water take care of that ?

better check first.

my IP does get a little spotty from mildly hard water.   but it easily is cleaned.

consider   bartender's friend ?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=barkeepers+friend+powder&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=54528361956&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17838810383009074359&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001873&hvtargid=kwd-21911135393&ref=pd_sl_860baskoic_b

this polishes it up is that's what yoou want     but check first to see if its OK to use.

call them     they have an 800 # and are very helpfull

https://instantpot.com/contact-us/

scroll down to the bottom for the tele number.

My water is soft (I am on a spring water system) but I've done an epic sticky burn on with chili and that cleaned up fine. I'm kinda baffled as to what to suggest. 

Dishwasher doesn't come up perfect (I get those little drops that you get) but usually a combo of a soak and a scrub pre dishwasher and a dishwash has worked fine.

4 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

njigy18.jpg

Washed in dishwasher 2 times, and soaked overnight & scrubbed. Still gross.

There's definitely something wrong with that pot!

I'd call the IP people for sure.

p

decided to make a Bold Move :

3 min eggs.jpg

3 min HP egg , generic white large   been in the refrig a while.  one doz straight from the refrig.   I use a push-pin into the air-sack on the flatter end.

rapid cool , surface dried and placed back in the cardboardish container in the refrig.

I tried one test  the day I made them .  even though there were cold from the frig  they did not peel that easily.  peel fine after 24 hours in the refit.

note the bit of green on the thinner side :  that's supposed to indicate over cooking , which makes sense .  can't taste it.

I really like these yolks.

breakfast notes here :

at the bottom

after enjoying the Egg Salad  , I realized this is as good a HB egg as it gets , for my taste :   white is fully cooked yet tender

no hint of Rubber-ey-ness   and the yolk  outstanding , and not  'sandy' if you  know what mean

Bold is Good !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@rotuts breakfast post made me want some egg salad and I decided I should give the IP another try.  

Four farmers market large eggs, straight from the fridge.  1.5 cups of water in the IP.  Eggs sitting on trivet.  

5 min high pressure, quick release, chill in ice water:

IMG_3615.jpg

I prefer the yolks more cooked than this for "hard boiled"  

I may try one more time, but I can make great hard cooked eggs by steaming them on the stove top or in the Cuisi steam oven so perhaps I should be happy with those methods.  I don't really need to cook everything in the IP :D!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@rotuts breakfast post made me want some egg salad and I decided I should give the IP another try.  

Four farmers market large eggs, straight from the fridge.  1.5 cups of water in the IP.  Eggs sitting on trivet.  

5 min high pressure, quick release, chill in ice water:

IMG_3615.jpg

I prefer the yolks more cooked than this for "hard boiled"  

I may try one more time, but I can make great hard cooked eggs by steaming them on the stove top or in the Cuisi steam oven so perhaps I should be happy with those methods.  I don't really need to cook everything in the IP :D!

Consider using natural release and I bet they will be perfect using your method.

• Like 1

I wonder if the timing and results are related to the number of eggs ;   i do a doz at a time.

these would be superb in Egg Salad I think.  did you chill for a while to get them to peel easily ?

guess Im going to have to do 2.5 min / doz next time.    I like having HB eggs ready to go in the frig.

I also did eggs in the CSB , again a doz   and got some yolks that were barely beginning to set.   i chilled them and used the yolks of

both hollandaise and béarnaise right from the fridge  

@Shelby, I'll try natural release next time.  I suspect that bit of extra time will do the trick.

@rotuts, I did chill them and they peeled OK.  It probably doesn't show up in the picture, but the centers of the yolks were fairly liquid - maybe "pourable gel" would be correct.  Even though I like them a little more cooked, they are nice deep gold colored yolks, aren't they :D?

I put the yolks in a custard cup, covered with foil and put them back in the IP for 2 min and they are now easier to mush up for my egg salad.

• Like 1

@blue_dolphin

I must say I was taken aback by your results at five minutes.  So I looked back at my first attempt to make hard-boiled eggs in the IP and noted these differences

Low-pressure

Only one cup of water

Let the pressure drop of its own accord

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

what were your timings for the LP method ?

Ive done 5 min LP   10 minute release    ( 1 doz large eggs ) and found them to be the same as 5 min HP instant release.

Im very happy with the 3 min HP eggs  one doz.

I can't see these differences being related to Fresh or older supermarket eggs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

I must say I was taken aback by your results at five minutes.  So I looked back at my first attempt to make hard-boiled eggs in the IP and noted these differences

Low-pressure

Only one cup of water

Let the pressure drop of its own accord

I think going with natural pressure release is probably key as that gives several more minutes at a high temp and pressure and that's all that's needed.

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

what were your timings for the LP method ?

Ive done 5 min LP   10 minute release    ( 1 doz large eggs ) and found them to be the same as 5 min HP instant release.

Im very happy with the 3 min HP eggs  one doz.

I can't see these differences being related to Fresh or older supermarket eggs.

5 minutes. My suspicion centres around the amount of water however my conclusions don't correlate.xD   A greater quantity of water require is longer to reach pressure.  However it doesn't go from cold to hot instantly  so some cooking takes place while the water is being heated. However the conclusion should be that @blue_dolphin's eggs should have been over cooked not under cooked. Back to the drawing board

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the 5 min HP egg(s) with IR  ( instant release ) has 60 % ( a little more actually ) more time at HP than a 3 min HP egg with IR 

the results  ( pictures ) would be reversed if I understand thermodynamics even a tiny bit.

natural release just adds a variable cooking time  on the addition side of the equation

I am not in anyway doubting  @blue_dolphin  work

in addition, it would take more time   ( probably not that much more ) for the IP to get to full pressure w 1 doz eggs

above the water   ( think of them as a cold mass absorbing heat while the pot gets to pressure )

rather than 4.

Edited by rotuts (log)

My method is just like Anna's (my notebook has a lot of crossing out of different methods I've tried lol):

1 C. water

Place eggs on trivet (I've done from 1 egg to 6 at one time)

Manual

Low pressure

5 minutes

Natural release

Eggs straight into ice bath

11 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

njigy18.jpg

I would try simmering water with a handful of baking soda in it.  This has worked for me with otherwise insoluble residue on stainless steel.  

[Do not mix baking soda with vinegar, lemon juice or other acid, as many will suggest.  This just neutralizes all of the base (or acid) and at least some of the acid (or base)--just because fizzing is exciting doesn't mean it is effective.]   

On 8/27/2016 at 5:56 PM, GlorifiedRice said:

I wish theyd make a non stick pot ¬¬

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else who makes yogurt have an issue with milk sticking to the bottom of the pot? Per the Laura Pazzaglia YouTube video (I lost my book!), I denature the milk by steaming for 0 minutes (essentially bringing to pressure and then releasing), natural release (because I tried quick and it sprayed milk all over my upper cabinets). I get a skim of not really scorched, but stuck-on, milk solids on the bottom of the pot. They clean up OK after a soak, with a minute or two or three with a plastic scraper, and there's no "scorched" taste to the yogurt.

23 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

njigy18.jpg

Oh, yeah. That's just wrong. I've never had that. You need to call them.

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

the 5 min HP egg(s) with IR  ( instant release ) has 60 % ( a little more actually ) more time at HP than a 3 min HP egg with IR 

the results  ( pictures ) would be reversed if I understand thermodynamics even a tiny bit.

natural release just adds a variable cooking time  on the addition side of the equation

I am not in anyway doubting  @blue_dolphin  work

in addition, it would take more time   ( probably not that much more ) for the IP to get to full pressure w 1 doz eggs

above the water   ( think of them as a cold mass absorbing heat while the pot gets to pressure )

rather than 4.

I've found that just for simplicity and ease of getting things done, there are a lot of things I prefer to cook on the stove, and boiled (and poached) eggs are among them. Ditto quick-cooking veggies, like cubed potatoes, broccoli, etc. I guess just because I'm generally in the kitchen doing other prep anyway. Good to know how to do it in the IP, in the event I don't have a burner open, but not otherwise. YMMV, obviously.

4 hours ago, Fernwood said:

I would try simmering water with a handful of baking soda in it.  This has worked for me with otherwise insoluble residue on stainless steel.  

[Do not mix baking soda with vinegar, lemon juice or other acid, as many will suggest.  This just neutralizes all of the base (or acid) and at least some of the acid (or base)--just because fizzing is exciting doesn't mean it is effective.]   

A dollop (or a packet) of dishwasher detergent boiled in the pot (ANY pot on which you've burned something badly) works wonders.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com