• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

Wow @Shelby

You are out doing us all with your finesse and the Instant Pot. I feel positively left in the dust.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Wow @Shelby

You are out doing us all with your finesse and the Instant Pot. I feel positively left in the dust.

Nah, you aren't in the dust :)

It's either play with all of my kitchen toys, or weed the garden.......

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Nah, you aren't in the dust :)

It's either play with all of my kitchen toys, or weed the garden.......

xDxDxD

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

No, no, no.   A graph- lined notebook with a red cover!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

sort   got air-fryer-brain at the moment.

I know exactly how that feels. I have even been on the Costco site but escaped without placing an order (since I am not a member I'm not even 100% sure that I could.)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Buffalo wings...disclaimer these are NOT crispy but they are fall off the bone yummy!

1 cup of water in the IP, spiral wings and drums on the trivet after salt and peppering them.

Cook on Manual high pressure for ten minutes.
Mix 1/2 cup of Frank buffalo wing sauce with 2 TBS of butter
Quick release wings and toss in sauce

Put wings and drums on a foil lined baking sheet and broil 
Serve with carrot sticks and ranch...feel the meat slide off the bone :)

14045667_10153719597472703_2524498725778062375_n (1).jpg

13938528_10153719524602703_6241596958646901538_n.jpg

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Mmmpomps said:

Buffalo wings...disclaimer these are NOT crispy but they are fall off the bone yummy!

1 cup of water in the IP, spiral wings and drums on the trivet after salt and peppering them.

Cook on Manual high pressure for ten minutes.
Mix 1/2 cup of Frank buffalo wing sauce with 2 TBS of butter
Quick release wings and toss in sauce

Put wings and drums on a foil lined baking sheet and broil 
Serve with carrot sticks and ranch...feel the meat slide off the bone :)

14045667_10153719597472703_2524498725778062375_n (1).jpg

13938528_10153719524602703_6241596958646901538_n.jpg

I make these...well, too much lol.  They are SO good.

I actually fry mine first....soak wings in buttermilk...dredge in spiced up flour...quick fry in oil.  Put in the IP and brush with the butter/Franks and do on high pressure for the same 10 mins.  SUPER good.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I make these...well, too much lol.  They are SO good.

I actually fry mine first....soak wings in buttermilk...dredge in spiced up flour...quick fry in oil.  Put in the IP and brush with the butter/Franks and do on high pressure for the same 10 mins.  SUPER good.

Does it stay crispy Shelby? I find these ok(actually good) considering I don't have to bread or fry them. But its more flavourful and tender meat then a crispy buffalo wing :)

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mmmpomps said:

Does it stay crispy Shelby? I find these ok(actually good) considering I don't have to bread or fry them. But its more flavourful and tender meat then a crispy buffalo wing :)

Nope, not a bit crispy....but still good.

• Like 1

Beets from the garden, the long kind.  6 oz each.  Halved lengthwise and put on the rack.  Two cups of water.  Hi pressure x 25 minutes with quick release.  They are quite soft.  Probably 20 minutes would have been plenty.

• Like 4

Over on hippressurecooking.com, I saw a recipe for Hasselback Pork Roast with Apples, Coppa and Sage.  Looked and sounded really good but also really wintery.  Instead I made this.  

Hasselback Pork Roast with Peaches, Prosciutto and Sage:

IMG_3525.jpg

The first step was to brown all sides but after I took it out of the Instant Pot and removed the string and skewers, I thought it could still use a little cosmetic work so I brushed the top with some ancho chili jam (too bad there was none of last year's peach and jalapeño jam) and popped it into the Cuisi steam oven for a quick broil.  Not at all the sort of thing that I would usually cook but I figured it would make some nice sandwiches so it shouldn't go to waste. 

• Like 9

DISCLAIMER I eat meat normally but I'm always trying to find new things to make in my IP. So hello seitan. I have never eaten it before but I had to make it: 

I have made MEAT! Holy shiza I'm shocked how good these turned out. Don't get me wrong these are not greasy donairs! But they are good and I made it in my IP!

To make the Seitan:
In a small bowl mix wet ingredients:
1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
2 cloves finely diced garlic cloves
1 TBS Tahini 
2 TBS Ketchup
1.5 TBS Worsershire Sauce
1 TBS BBQ sauce, smoke or two drops
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 TBS Magic Mushroom Powder *google nom nom paleo for it*
3/4 cup of water.
Mix well
In large bowl combine:
1 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
4 TBS Nutritional Yeast Flakes
Add wet ingredients. Mix until gooey and the dry has come together, I used a spoon.
Knead for a few minutes until its smooth ish. Add more water or Wheat gluten until it feels right.

Spray with oil a small tinfoil loaf pan *spread it and shape it to fit your IP*
Press Seitan into the loaf about one inch thick.
Add 1 cup of water to IP
Place loaf of seitan on trivet
Manual High pressure for 30 minutes *I went shopping and left it on NPR for 1.5 hours* Its not neccessary to do this and go shop ;)

Heat up a grill pan or your bbq
Slice meat about a 1/4 inch thick, quite thin if you want crunchy.
Brown in oil on both sides to get nice grill marks

Donair Sauce 
6 oz of evaporated milk
2 tsp or more white vinegar
2 tsp sugar or to taste
2 tsp ground garlic
Whisk and slowly add the vinegar until desired thickness

Add chopped lettuce, sliced onion and tomatoes to a pita bread, 'meat' on top , add donair sauce and be amazed

It is not as good as donair meat but interesting as hell. The thinner you slice the meat before you grill the crisper/crackerish (not quite baconish) it gets.  I had the day off, this is what happens:

13912694_10153721876757703_3541551998117698521_n.jpg

13925134_10153721492687703_7697770443213340278_n.jpg

13925194_10153721876762703_2296226944214354633_n.jpg

14051737_10153721876752703_2935849117915863265_n.jpg

• Like 6

@blue_dolphin

will have to make that pork roast ( first though, Popsicles). 

@Mmmpomps

You have my admiration.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Coconut rice, teriyaki drumsticks and baby bok choy. Rice and chicken done sequentially in the instant pot. Baby bok choy quickly blanched in boiling with some oil added (thanks to @huiray  for the blanching technique). 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Basmat Rice II :

one rounded cup Tilda , rinse rinse rinse , soak , drain

IP:  one cup water ,  2 min HP, 10 minute release 

exactly the way I like rice.

still can't say if soaking elongates.       but  2 + 10 is a painless and quick way to cook ( basmati ) rice

no pic.  rice is rice.

Im close to being done with my bag of Tilda.

Ill get the more expensive ( recommended by many at my IndiaMart ) rice next and make both and see.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Thanks for that rice information, rotuts.  I tried the rice cooker function last week for the first time: jasmine rice, using the standard program; mixed in with other sauteed ingredients (shrimp, garlic, I forget what else) for a 1-pot meal.  It seemed the rice was a bit gummy until I fluffed and mixed it with the rest of the ingredients.  Overall it was pretty good, but I can tell that guidelines for rice cooking times will be helpful.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I cook rice on manual.  this is not to suggest its the best way. except for  ' Soup ' I use manual.  mostly because I could not figure out what

' Rice etc" dioes.

for jasmine rice   " Hip" suggests "

rinse , rince , rince , drain.   1 1/4 C Jasmine rice    1 minute cook HP   10 minute release.

if you leave the cooked rice in the IP  some will stick to the bottom, but it cleans up nicely after a soak .