• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

Thanks for posting about beets.  I have numerous beets out in the garden and need to wade in.  Thanks for weighing it, you're so smart.  I can use that info to determine my cooking time.  I want to make beets with tehina from Zahav.  If it is good I may take some down to our Syrian family living in the village.  I don't think they planted beets in their garden plot.:D

• Like 3

found some large mature beets at MarketBasket the other day, w/o leaf .   they were firm and looking at the cut tops there was some green in there

so I thought they might be fairly fresh, but of course not from these parts.

Beet 1.jpg

I left hem on the counter for a few days in a loose bag.  when i got around to them there were somewhat soft.  bummer i thought.

cut the tops and bottoms off and 1/4'd them

Beet 2.jpg

in 'Hip' beets are not even mentioned in the index. shows that their trouble to most people so rarely marketed.  however in the

table section in " Hip" it gave this info :

Beets  cubed :  8 min  high  natural release   boil, steam, braise

Beets whole, ( s , med, lg )     15, 20, 25   High, normal release , boil

so I did 8 min, natural release.

Beet 3.jpg

done and cooling

as noted elsewhere here, the skin came right off.   the beets were on the soft side.  Ill slice them up and add them to

a vineger onion garlic 'marinade' and chill

aside from the softness, flavor was excellent.   Ill make these again and do them the same day I buy them and drop the time by a minute or so.

they must haves been refrigerated at MB before they were put on display  

Im glad they have at least these.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

here they are ready for the frig for a few days :

Beet done.jpg

vinegar, water , sliced onion, garlic , mustard seed.

granted most of the flavorings are not water soluble ....

but its what I had

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

your IP eggs :  do they have that dreaded green ring around the outside >

Ive done a doz. 5 min high, quick release   and a doz. 5 min low pressure, five minute release 

using cold eggs directly from the refirg.

IP eggs.jpg

the color tones in the pic make it a bit difficult to see the greenish ness.  to be both methods give close-enough results and are the same.

they taste fine and are for potato salad.

should i drop the time a minute or so and see if it makes a difference.   these are generic large supermarket eggs so have been around a while

your thoughts ?

ive never got that hint of greenness for HB eggs using the tried and true  Pepin 10 minute simmering water method.

Hmmmm....I've had a few smaller eggs (ones from my wonderful egg person's chickens) that got the green ring, but using large eggs I've never gotten the green.  I do 5 mins, low pressure, natural release, into cold water and ice.  

Did you put them in the cold/ice water?

yep  as soon as I can lift the basket out of the pot I run cold water over the eggs while still in the basket them move them to a large bowl of cold water

which i change several times until the eggs reach cold tap water temp, then dry off and put back in the original egg container in the frig.

these are not fresh eggs.  but really fine for me.  

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

yep  as soon as I can lift the basket out of the pot I run cold water over the eggs while still in the basket them move them to a large bowl of cold water

which i change several times until the eggs reach cold tap water temp, then dry off and put back in the original egg container in the frig.

these are not fresh eggs.  but really fine for me.  

I wouldn't think that the freshness factor would matter.......

I would reduce time by one minute and try it with just a couple of eggs.

• Like 1

Ill do the next doz.  4 minutes HP instant release  ----=   chill.

although there is nothing wrong with these eggs, I think they would be fine for Deviled or Creamed Eggs  ( chopped in a white sauce dans toast )

for the best P.S. I think the yolks should be just jelled, whites just firmed up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ill do the next doz.  4 minutes HP instant release  ----=   chill.

although there is nothing wrong with these eggs, I think they would be fine for Deviled or Creamed Eggs  ( chopped in a white sauce dans toast )

for the best P.S. I think the yolks should be just jelled, whites just firmed up.

I think with the 4 mins I'd go with natural release......  Then if they still aren't how you like them, I'd do the instant.  But what do I know :)  

BTW   the CSB  makes very interesting low temp steam baked eggs.   

the yolks are just right for a quick  ---aise sauce   from Holland or Bearnaise     etc

that's somewhere on the CSB thread.  Ive done a doz. at a time

chilled and refriged and used for both hollandaise and bearnaise  " At Point of Use "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Amazon has the Instant Pot silicone sealing ringir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B008FUUQJ on sale today for $6.99

It is worth ordering a couple of spares at this price.   I have one spare tucked away.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive finally got around to doing rice in the IP

95 here outside, 89 inside

using 'Hip' as a guide :

pp.  137 :

perfect long grain rice :  

1 1/2 LGWRice  3 cups water   1/s tsp salt  1 Ts butter or oil

HP  4 min   10 minute  release

N.B.:  perfect Basmati

rinse several times until water clear   ( i use Tilda , the only rice I have that's not here nor there )

soak rice 15 min in fresh water, drain

1 1/4 C water in the IP, then as PLGR above

2 minutes , 10 minute release  HP

o.O

Ive done rice in my Fuzzy for ever.  55 min  I do rinse, but I don't soak..   all the books say soak  all my Indian friends soak

'Hip"  suggests this  maximized longer basmati rice

Indian rest here and perhaps N. or the Boarder have Long Basmati , indeed our LuchLady friends have commented 0n this discrepancey

'Hip' :  " when prepared traditionally Indian rice needs both a good rinse and a short 10 - 15 minute soak

( then draining ) to help the grains stretch out into amazingly long kernels "

pp 138

please not the times

here it is :

IP rice.jpg

I do have a digital micrometer and might have measured the grain you see at 11: 30 at the top

soooo hot here, having no ref re the same rice w/o a soak

Ill leave that to the LunchLadies north of the boarder.   maybe it will get cooler there sooner than here.

the rice was fully cooked but too wet for me.  understanding that Illl just use 1 cup water and a rounded cup of tilda next time will

for sure fix that.  so i let if on warm for a while, stirred  then on the place here :

IPrice plate.jpg

left it there for 10 - 15 as well it's never going to be cooker than 85 !

better 

at the TJ's thread I finally and this :

very nice for the temp outside and inside.

as ive said   HomeMade SV CkBr is much better as Ive added thai.indian to the bag and chilled and Fz

I d guess MC  ( The Cat ) is pleased I didn't go out for take out and melt on the HighWay

Rice in the IP from now on for me, with a personal adjustment of the water amount to suite me

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

Cooks Illustrated recommends steaming for the best results.  I've tried it and it really works!

East Peel Hard-Cooked Eggs

Be sure to use large eggs that have no cracks and are cold from the refrigerator. If you don’t have a steamer basket, use a spoon or tongs to gently place the eggs in the water. It does not matter if the eggs are above the water or partially submerged. You can use this method for fewer than six eggs without altering the timing. You can also double this recipe as long as you use a pot and steamer basket large enough to hold the eggs in a single layer. There’s no need to peel the eggs right away. They can be stored in their shells and peeled when needed.

6 large eggs

Bring 1 inch water to rolling boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Place eggs in steamer basket. Transfer basket to saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook eggs for 13 minutes.

When eggs are almost finished cooking, combine 2 cups ice cubes and 2 cups cold water in medium bowl. Using tongs or spoon, transfer eggs to ice bath; let sit for 15 minutes. Peel before using.

On August 11, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Shelby said:

Hmmmm....I've had a few smaller eggs (ones from my wonderful egg person's chickens) that got the green ring, but using large eggs I've never gotten the green.  I do 5 mins, low pressure, natural release, into cold water and ice.  

Did you put them in the cold/ice water?

I put six eggs in for 5 minutes on high pressure, quick release.  All fresh farms eggs.  All about the same size.  I opened two for sandwiches just now and one was quite green around the yolk while the other one was perfect. ?????

Maybe something about the egg rather than the treatment. Weird.  Can't explain it.

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

I put six eggs in for 5 minutes on high pressure, quick release.  All fresh farms eggs.  All about the same size.  I opened two for sandwiches just now and one was quite green around the yolk while the other one was perfect. ?????

Maybe something about the egg rather than the treatment. Weird.  Can't explain it.

It truly has to be something that we can't control--like the egg yolk is a tad smaller etc.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Really, really odd. I have not seen this green ring for years.   No matter how I have cooked them, no matter where the eggs came from I simply have not seen it in many years. Wish I had an explanation.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, lindag said:

Cooks Illustrated recommends steaming for the best results.  I've tried it and it really works!

Steaming was my preferred method until I got the IP but pressured cooked eggs are easier to peel.

Edited by cta (log)
  • Like 1

IP made most of my meal last night.....    Truly makes the best potato salad.  Peeled and diced taters in a strainer basket with 3 eggs on top.  1 1/2 cups of water, high pressure for 4 minutes.  Taters and eggs perfect.

After that, I did my ribs.

photo 1.JPG

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

notes made

@Shelby  

excellent idea

? immediate release ?

Yes, immediate release....take taters out and let them cool in a bowl.. put eggs in ice water.  

I just had some for breakfast.

• Like 3