• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

Dinner was a play or two recipes I found online pork chops with cabbage Laura's hip pressure cooking site and inside out egg rolls from hmm this old gals site. I combined the two and came up with really good chops in the Instant Pot and a yummy 'stir fry' in the IP. I made a two egg omelet with spicy hot salt in a good old frying pan and added that. I'd make this again with a few adjustments.

13895438_10153694278552703_4548767731788359017_n.jpg

• Like 4

I made the grits from the same old gal website.  One serving, which in my books is two servings.  It was a tad under done, not really creamy but the taste was done, just not the texture.  I will try again adding 4 minutes to the cooking time.

• Like 2

I was at a lecture last night that included a cooking demo. Sure enough the IP was there. The Dietitian that gave the talk said she uses hers all the time. She whipped up a healthy chicken casserole while I was there. Very nice and tasty. The IP is on my To Buy List!

• Like 7

Im very sure the IP changed perceptions of Pressure Cooking for many.

it certainly did for me.

push a button or two  and then Beep !

50,000 or so Amazonians can't be all wrong.

• Like 3

Have yogurt-to-be fermenting away in the IP as I type. Ready about 9 tonight. Tried, per @ElainaA (I think!) making it with a quart of mixed-up nonfat dry milk, though I used yogurt starter instead of an existing yogurt culture. My one attempt at using the existing culture resulted in failure, so I just do starter.

Love that thing. Red cabbage in it this weekend.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 minutes ago, kayb said:

Have yogurt-to-be fermenting away in the IP as I type. Ready about 9 tonight. Tried, per @ElainaA (I think!) making it with a quart of mixed-up nonfat dry milk, though I used yogurt starter instead of an existing yogurt culture. My one attempt at using the existing culture resulted in failure, so I just do starter.

Nope, Not me. ;)  Yogurt is on thing I have not tried. There are several brands of locally produced yogurt easily available here so I stick to them.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

2 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

Nope, Not me. ;)  Yogurt is on thing I have not tried. There are several brands of locally produced yogurt easily available here so I stick to them.  

I think it was @ElsieD.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, kayb said:

Love that thing. Red cabbage in it this weekend.

How did the yogurt turn out?

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

How did the yogurt turn out?

Absolutely wonderful! I will never make it any other way. I did a quart of dry milk, and came out with something more than a pint of yogurt, very nice and thick after I strained it. It was most excellent. My dry milk was instant, and I went with it, as I had never seen any other kind. Worked just fine.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

5 hours ago, kayb said:

Absolutely wonderful! I will never make it any other way. I did a quart of dry milk, and came out with something more than a pint of yogurt, very nice and thick after I strained it. It was most excellent. My dry milk was instant, and I went with it, as I had never seen any other kind. Worked just fine.

I agree that it's great yogurt.  It is now the only way I make it.  In fact, I have the Instant Pot going right now with a new batch which will be ready at 7:00.  How much whey did you get?

<<<hanging head in shame>>> I don't know; I let it drain down the sink. I don't need to do any baking, and I have a quart of whey in the freezer for the next time I do, anyway. Have no other real use for it. I would say around a cup as there's somewhere close to three cups of yogurt. 

Depending on everyone's assurance that I could freeze braised red cabbage, I decided to make it in the IP today. I wound up with four single-serving size containers and one larger container I will take to a friend early next week (she wanted me to make her some German potato salad, and I figured I might as well make her some cabbage, too). Made it in the IP as well; sauteed the onion, shredded and sauteed the cabbage, added vinegar, caraway, juniper berries, and allspice, some cider vinegar and a little water, and gave it 15 minutes at high pressure, natural release. Tasted, let it slow cook an hour, stirred in a half-cup of heavy cream, let it slow cook another few minutes, and dished it up. Had a healthy helping for lunch, with a piece of toast.

cabbage 0806.jpg

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

First time making Millet...this stuff is good
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/millet-its-the-new-quinoa/ <---- used it for the technical directions. I added no extras besides the millet, water, salt and oil. This stuff is great!
I did my Quinoa Greek salad except with many substitutions based on what I had when I stuck my head in the fridge!!
Millet Greek Salad
2 cups of cooked millet add to bowl
Make dressing: 1 Tablespoon olive Oil , 2 Tablespoons of Balsamic vinegar, 1/2 lemon squeezed ( I had a lime) Couldn't find my oregano so added a teaspoon of dried mint
Salt whisk well and put aside.
Add to millet 1 cup diced cucumber
2 diced green onions
1/2 cup diced orange sweet pepper
1 cup black olives
1/2 cup of feta or if like me you discover you are out just add Ricotta HOLY SHIZA it is good in here, gives a creamy mouthfeel
Add enough dressing to moisten but not soak the salad.
Add hot salt and eat this cold !

13912893_10153699523602703_3329409596273737787_n.jpg

13962653_10153699523612703_434877275616746547_n.jpg

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 3

Instant Pot ribs. Dry rub , 1 can of beer, two whole bulbs of garlic. 30 minutes Manual High pressure. Brush with more beer and BBQ sauce and broil to your liking...served with the Millet greeked up salad and our first cherry tomatoes of the season~

13900268_10153699641492703_5258210245339405302_n.jpg

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Chocolot said:

Today I made Peanut Butter Cheesecake, recipe courtesy of http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-peanut-butter-cup-cheesecake/

I am a new Prime Day IP owner:)

IMG_4967.JPG

Oh my, I must make this for my son.

Question for Chocolot or other PC cheesecake veterans:  (I tried a search but... don't get me started!)

This recipe calls for 50 minute cook, 10 min wait/"natural release", then manual release to check doneness.  If not set, "cook the cheesecake for an additional 5 minutes."  At that point would you do an immediate manual release?  Could fast vs slow release affect the texture of the cheesecake?

I'm sure that once I have a few PC cheesecakes under my belt :wink: I'll get a feel for these adjustments but I'd love to hear about your experience.  

IP to the Sunday dinner rescue. I had made my bacon barbecued meatloaf and reached in the pantry for a big can of Bush's Best baked beans, my starting point for my standard baked beans, only to find...there wasn't one there. So, I pulled out the IP, quickly cooked some Rancho Gordo domingo rojo beans, and proceeded apace with baked beans.

Sunday dinner saved.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

5 hours ago, Fernwood said:

Oh my, I must make this for my son.

Question for Chocolot or other PC cheesecake veterans:  (I tried a search but... don't get me started!)

This recipe calls for 50 minute cook, 10 min wait/"natural release", then manual release to check doneness.  If not set, "cook the cheesecake for an additional 5 minutes."  At that point would you do an immediate manual release?  Could fast vs slow release affect the texture of the cheesecake?

I'm sure that once I have a few PC cheesecakes under my belt :wink: I'll get a feel for these adjustments but I'd love to hear about your experience.  

I am a novice, but I just followed the directions and it worked. 50 minutes did the trick. I think it probably could have had a little less and still been ok. I have only made 2 cheesecakes in the IP, but I like a creamy mouth feel, and I think a little less time works too. 

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Whole chicken my Sunday Standby! Sprinkled on sumac and salt. Olive oil in the IP on high saute, left her there until I could flip her without pulling off the skin. Added Fresh thyme, Kalamata Olives, lime juice (didn't have a lemon) 1/2 cup of water. Manual High pressure 25 minutes...she was yummy! Served with last nights millet salad:

13920646_10153702095157703_1161981279964587757_n.jpg

13901318_10153702173747703_2612449131126642581_n.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/7/2016 at 1:24 AM, kayb said:

Depending on everyone's assurance that I could freeze braised red cabbage, I decided to make it in the IP today.

Let us know how it works for you. I never had luck freezing red cabbage, every time I've tried ended up with a really soft (almost mushy) mess after reheating it.

Onions seared in cast iron skillet, left over steak cooked in instant pot high pressure 30 minutes with white wine and creme fraiche, slow release for a few minutes followed by quick release since I needed to serve dinner. Over plain rice.

image.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Onions seared in cast iron skillet, left over steak cooked in instant pot high pressure 30 minutes with white wine and creme fraiche, slow release for a few minutes followed by quick release since I needed to serve dinner. Over plain rice.

image.jpg

Was your leftover steak raw? How was the texture on the meat?

I had both IP's going yesterday making some zucchini bread.  We love banana bread made in there....the zuke bread, not so much.  I've used this recipe a zillion times but I've made it in the regular oven so I dunno.  The bread is done...but it strangely tastes like flour...or maybe just bland.  

• Like 1

So over a little lunch topic rotuts asked me about the beets that were in my salad. I just returned from a 6 week vacation and my fridge was bare.   It is no longer possible for me to just hop in the car and do some grocery shopping. So I placed an order to have my groceries delivered. I have many bones to pick with the service that  I use but I have always been impressed by the produce. I have often thought that I could not have chosen better myself. Until today.  I ordered beets and two arrived.  One was the largest beet I have ever seen.  I put it on the scales and it came in in excess of 16 ounces.  The second beet was about half that size although I did not weigh it.  The larger would barely fit in the instant pot with a steamer basket in there! I added 2 cups of water (far more water than I would usually add).  I set the timer for 20 minutes high-pressure and let the pressure drop naturally. The beet was still rock-hard.  I added another 10 minutes and repeated. Not quite rockhard but still too hard. I repeated it one more time for 10 minutes more, let the pressure drop of its own accord and this time the beet was cooked.  I expected it to be woody and horrid  but it wasn't bad at all.   The second beet which was much smaller still took 30 minutes.  

Without a pressure cooker I am sure I would've waited hours for that beet to cook. I am waiting for their customer service to get back to me on another matter and will then bring up the subject of bigger isn't better!

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog