• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

I have a question about the IP though - how do you best clean the lid? I am thinking that it cannot be immersed in water, but maybe I'm wrong. I know you can disassemble the lid a bit, but how often does this need to be done? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

I have a question about the IP though - how do you best clean the lid? I am thinking that it cannot be immersed in water, but maybe I'm wrong. I know you can disassemble the lid a bit, but how often does this need to be done? 

My practice is to remove the silicone gasket and give both the lid and gasket a scrub with a soapy brush or blue scrubby sponge, a rinse in hot water and air dry after each use.  If the lid is very greasy or spattered (like when I followed the Serious Eats recommendation for baking soda in garbanzo beans for hummus and every part was coated with liquified beans :o) then I do what I read over on hip pressure cooking and put it in the dishwasher.

Now this is neither officially condoned nor completely ruled-out by the manufacturer but after almost three years of Instant Pot ownership I discovered that the lid can be safely dish-washed. Some of the “shine” will be dulled-down on the black parts of the lid but I have personally not seen any other ill effects.  I pressed my Instant Pot contact about this and the factory confirmed that putting the lid in the dishwasher will not damage it.

This is how I wash the Instant Pot lid in the dishwasher: I remove the valve (on top of the lid) and the little basket that protects it (underneath the lid) and put those in the utensil basket. Then I pull off the silicone gasket and put it along with the lid, stainless-steel-side-down, on the top rack of the dishwasher. When it’s finished, put it all back together right away (so you don’t loose any pieces) and you’ve got a perfectly clean lid.

I bought an extra gasket to avoid transfer of garlicky flavors.  So far, I've been able to temper the most of the garlic smells with a soak in baking soda and water, rinse and a few hours out in the sun but the spare is still nice to have on hand.

• Like 4

So far, I'm very pleased with the IP. After the initial Steam test, I skipped the hard-boiled egg lesson and jumped right in with Chicken Adobo Saturday and Polynesian Style Country Ribs tonight. It's been so hot lately that I really like not having to heat up the whole kitchen to cook.

My accessory order of RSVP Endurance Mesh Basket and Flanera came today. Looking forward to testing Flan and Cheesecake soon. I think I will need to buy the extra gaskets as many have suggested. Also, I read a few sites that recommended Plate Tongs to hold the insert steady and retrieve pot in pot items, has anyone tried them?

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
  • Like 2
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

We tried to make ramekins of eggs for breakie this morning.

Oil a ramekin (I used cappucino cups), add a slice of preferred meat (could be ham, proscuitto, bacon, etc....I used bacon); crack in an egg then a slice of cheese, s and p then cover with foil and steam at low pressure/high temp for 4 min and quick release.

After 4 min the egg whites weren't done.  In for another 3 min and they are excellent.  Next time I would go for 5 minutes, quick release.  Maybe leave the foil on until you have everything on the plate.  So easy.

I'm converted!

Last night did mashed potatoes:  Steam for 7 minutes with some milk and green onions; mash and put on keep warm.  Easy although I thought they were a little 'gummy' but my DH thought they were fine.  Either way very little clean up and love the keep warm feature because the chicken was still in the bath.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Last night did mashed potatoes:  Steam for 7 minutes with some milk and green onions; mash and put on keep warm.  Easy although I thought they were a little 'gummy' but my DH thought they were fine.  Either way very little clean up and love the keep warm feature because the chicken was still in the bath.

Did you put the potatoes in something?  I did some tonight, just cut up chunks HP for 5, NPR for 10 minutes.  They were on a trivet, and I had put something underneath that to keep them out of the water.  Does steam work better than HP?

I put some butter in the ss pot along with the pots and green onion.  Sauté for a few minutes.  Added the milk and used steam high pressure for 7 minutes.  The potatoes were sliced about 1/8th inch as were the green onions.  They were only just done after the seven minutes.  Then I mashed them in the ss pot and kept warm for about 45 min until my chicken was done.

Hope that helps.   I found the recipe on line but don't remember where.....this is becoming a common problem :$

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I bought an extra gasket to avoid transfer of garlicky flavors.  So far, I've been able to temper the most of the garlic smells with a soak in baking soda and water, rinse and a few hours out in the sun but the spare is still nice to have on hand.

I found that what works best is a soak in OxyClean or it's generic equivalents.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I put some butter in the ss pot along with the pots and green onion.  Sauté for a few minutes.  Added the milk and used steam high pressure for 7 minutes.  The potatoes were sliced about 1/8th inch as were the green onions.  They were only just done after the seven minutes.  Then I mashed them in the ss pot and kept warm for about 45 min until my chicken was done.

Hope that helps.   I found the recipe on line but don't remember where.....this is becoming a common problem :$

This one?

when I do potatoes for either mashed or potato salad later, I put the cut up pieces either in a basket or on the put out item that comes w the IP

above the water, one cup, and the 'pressure-steam '  i.e.  regular full pressure cycle  

I find a lot for flavor stays in the potatoes that way, not leached into the water.

I remove the potatoes, dump the water, put the Pots back in the Pot  then make massed in the usual fashion:

butter first, light hand-mix-master, the hot milk a bitt at a time until I like the consistency.  i try to remember to grate a very little fresh nutmeg somewhere

in that process.  just a touch.  you know something is in those potatoes, but you are not quite sure.  If you notice the nutmeg right a way, use a bit less the

nest tiime.   I like a tiny bit of freshly grated nutmeg in most things white :  béchamel  etc  cauliflower etc

consider it if you have not tried it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, natasha1270 said:

... Also, I read a few sites that recommended Plate Tongs to hold the insert steady and retrieve pot in pot items, has anyone tried them?

I have not tried the plate tongs but will be interested in hearing from anyone who has.  

I bought the silicone mini mitts and have found them helpful for pot in pot cooking or to remove the inner pot when it's hot and ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B012D33BDfull.  Also useful for retrieving items from the Cuisi steam oven.  At 12 bucks, they are probably overpriced and one of the less expensive options would probably work just as well. 

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B012D33BD

• Like 1

A couple of days ago I tried "country style ribs" using slow-cooker mode.  This happened because I'd rubbed and vacuum-sealed said ribs in preparation for sous vide, and then my new circulator failed.  >:( (A new one is on its way. :))  We wondered how accurate the temperature settings were for 'low', 'medium' and 'high' slow cooker mode, and took measurements.  When 'low' got too hot - that is, it cleared 180F and was still going up - I switched to 'keep warm' and probably still managed to overcook the ribs.  Those portions of the ribs that actually had rib and fat in them were pretty good, but the leaner sections were IMO like cotton.  Incidentally, my measurements say that at 'low' the IP holds the water in the pot at 168F.  Still a bit warm for the sous vide I wanted.

We ate what we wanted from the ribs, and saved the rest for leftovers.  I wasn't wild about the prospect, but thought I saw an opportunity.

The next day it was time for beans.  Somewhere uptopic someone - @Mmmpomps? - waxed ecstatic and pronounced that she'd made the most 'righteous beans' using her IP.  I can't find that post, but it lured me in. 

20160720_154104.jpg

Following instructions I pressure cooked a cup worth of cranberry beans in the prescribed amount of water, fiddled around with the steam vent, then set the pressure cooker to 'more'. (I think I used that setting because of something I read, but I won't do it again.They were a touch overcooked.)  I do very much like the 'set it and forget it' aspect.  As the beans cooked I chopped onions, stripped the kernels off stray ears of corn, and cut the leftover meat into chunks.  After the beans were done I emptied the pot, strained the beans, saved the liquor, and started sauteing: onion until golden and soft, then a small time for the corn, then the meat, and finally the beans and the liquor.  Boiled it down.  The spices from the original ribs were plenty.

20160720_154019.jpg

Dishes used: the IP, a measuring cup, a strainer, and the corn-stripper and onion-chopper. Time: less than an hour.  This was a revelation; I'm known for covering the counter with stray dishes and taking hours to cook meals.

It was so good we're having it again today.  It may not be the most photogenic meal I've made, but it had the right amount of spice, a good thick consistency, light crunch from the corn and meaty flavor from the pork.  We aren't sure the pork was needed, but the stew was a great way to use it to best advantage.

OK, enablers: thanks, I think!

Edited by Smithy
Added photos. (log)
  • Like 9

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 7/19/2016 at 10:09 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I have not tried the plate tongs but will be interested in hearing from anyone who has.  

I bought the silicone mini mitts and have found them helpful for pot in pot cooking or to remove the inner pot when it's hot and ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B012D33BDfull.  Also useful for retrieving items from the Cuisi steam oven.  At 12 bucks, they are probably overpriced and one of the less expensive options would probably work just as well. 

I ended up purchasing the plate tongs. Will let you know if they are worth it. For just under $10, I figured why not.

Also, Flanera + Instant Pot = super quick, easy & ultra smooth Leche Flan! It is almost too easy how it all comes together. This could be very bad.

• Like 2
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

First IP cheesecake.

cheesecake 0720.jpg

I covered the pan with a folded paper towel, per the IP directions, and covered that with foil. Paper towel stuck to the top of the cheesecake and pulled it off, possibly because I overfilled the pan. Didn't harm the taste. I'll do this again.

cheesecake pans.jpg

Baby cheesecake pan vs my big cheesecake pan. Unless it's a big dinner with lots of sweets-eaters, the big one is just too big for here at home. Have a feeling I'll be using this little sweetheart a good deal.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've also been wanting an IP-friendly springform pan and succumbed to the Prime Day special, kindly brought to my attention by @Shelby.  I noted the recipe on the backside of the pan label and thought it might make an easy make-ahead dish to bring to happy hour-type gatherings.  However, in reading the recipe, I'm thinking it might be more suited to the Cuisi steam oven than the IP because of the 2-step baking process but I wanted to seek advice from my experts here.  

What do you experts think?  Would you make this entirely in the IP?  Go with the Cuisi?  Do the first bake in the IP and then into the Cuisi for 15 min after adding the sour cream topping?  

IMG_3407.jpg

Apologies for the crappy photo.  The font is extremely tiny and the glue blob refused my attempts to remove it.

Also, I have no idea what the called-for spicy cheddar cheese dip is but I figured I'd use a Velveeta/Rotel mixture.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've also been wanting an IP-friendly springform pan and succumbed to the Prime Day special, kindly brought to my attention by @Shelby.  I noted the recipe on the backside of the pan label and thought it might make an easy make-ahead dish to bring to happy hour-type gatherings.  However, in reading the recipe, I'm thinking it might be more suited to the Cuisi steam oven than the IP because of the 2-step baking process but I wanted to seek advice from my experts here.  

What do you experts think?  Would you make this entirely in the IP?  Go with the Cuisi?  Do the first bake in the IP and then into the Cuisi for 15 min after adding the sour cream topping?  

IMG_3407.jpg

Apologies for the crappy photo.  The font is extremely tiny and the glue blob refused my attempts to remove it.

Also, I have no idea what the called-for spicy cheddar cheese dip is but I figured I'd use a Velveeta/Rotel mixture.

That sounds good.  I'd do the crust in the cuis, then the filling in the IP, then back to the cuis for the topping.  

• Like 1

We can buy little tubs of jalapeño  cheese spread here, found in the grocery store where the cream cheese is.  I think it is made by Black Diamond. Is that what they are referring to?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We can buy little tubs of jalapeño  cheese spread here, found in the grocery store where the cream cheese is.  I think it is made by Black Diamond. Is that what they are referring to?

Maybe.  I know Trader Joe's has a pub cheese spread with cheddar & jalapeños but it's sort of whipped up, not sure how it would do in the oven.  

I've got a little Velveeta leftover from Super Bowl season :shock::shock::shock: (yes, I do!) and I can use the Rotel in a black bean salad, so I might do that.  It would make that top layer a distinct color from the bottom, which might look nice....or not!  We'll see.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2016 at 10:09 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I received the tongs yesterday and have to say the concept is good but the one I bought seem to have a really flimsy spring that falls out easily. They are getting returned. A quick search on amazon shows there are many similar ones available and cheaper too but if the spring is the same, probably not worth it.

Just opened the new IP and am doing the water test.

Going to have two going tonight :)

Came with  a little pamphlet that describes new features that were added after the printing of the user's manual ---these are features that my first IP does not have.

1.  The cord is now detachable.

2.  Slow cook temps. have been adjusted as--

Normal=87.8 -93 C/190-200 F

More=93-99C/200-210 F

Less=82-87.8C/180/190 F

3.  Audible beeping has an on/off switch.  

4.  Keep warm has an on/off switch

5.  It memorizes the last used program settings.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

Thanks to Terry who posted his method of making yogurt on the hippressurecooking forum,  I made the best yogurt I have ever made.  As you can see from the picture, the spoon stands right up.  I drained exactly 6 ounces of whey from it but there really is no need to.  I just happen to like it super thick.  You use 1 1/4 cup NON instant dry milk powder which you mix thoroughly with 4 cups water.  After this mixture has been heated and cooled to 115F, mix 1/3 cup greek yogurt with some of the milk and then pour it all back into the IP and proceed as normal.  Incredible stuff.  I may never again make it any other way.

20160722_222443.jpg

• Like 6