• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

On 6/4/2016 at 2:30 PM, rotuts said:

I also have never heard of a J.P.P.

I found this vid :

I sure would love to find out this guy's salt proportions 

looks like a JPP will end up here soon 

just for the above.

If you live near a Japanese Daiso store, you can get a Japanese pickle press for a couple of dollars. I bought one over 10 years ago and I use it all the time. Is the best tofu press I have ever encountered. Also as far as salt proportions and so forth, I highly recommend the paperback book titled,  "Easy Japanese pickles in 5 minutes per day"  -  here is a link to it on Amazon. It's a great little book.  Easy Japanese Pickles in 5 Minutes Per Day

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ok, thanks and I do have fresh beets.

Good grief, what have I gotten myself into.

I was in Bogota Colombia last week at a restaurant where they served the most delicious potato salad I've ever eaten and the dressing was a beet vinaigrette. Literally cooked and pureed beets together with some nice vinegar and a bit of oil. Just fabulous. 

• Like 5

"By noon Seattle time, Prime members in the US had purchased over 91,000 Instant Pots pressure cookers and all 23,000 iRobot Roombas the site had for sale."

Yahoo Amazon Prime Day article

I can account for at least 1 of those. Looking forward to trying it out.

• Like 7
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

On 7/12/2016 at 4:14 PM, Smithy said:

We do get a cut for every sale made when someone goes onto Amazon via a link here and buys - doesn't have to be the object in question.  Here's a link to the IP:  Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000Wir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00FLYWNY.

Well, excellent. I have a different charity on my Amazon Smile account, but now will contemplating switching them out monthly or some such.

On 7/12/2016 at 6:07 PM, Okanagancook said:

God Damnit!  Arriving in three days with a Prime Card Membership which I should remember to cancel in 30 days.

SHEESH!

Now I have to plough three three parts of threads to learn what to do with it.

Bloodly-hell and where heck am I to put it, huh?  Where!

Welcome to the dark side. I highly recommend Rancho Gordo beans. Long as you haven't blown your budget.

(...awaiting delivery of my CSO, and calculating how much eG has cost me over the years....But I can't say I haven't bought anything that I didn't consider well worth it!)

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, kayb said:

.But I can't say I haven't bought anything that I didn't consider well worth it!)

Ditto and the list of equipment and cookbooks is long, long.  From a Codo UNOX Convection Oven to the Instapot!  Thousands of bucks.  No wonder I am mostly in the kitchen!

I have gotten to page 20 of the First Instapot Thread.  I like to go back to the beginning of when equipment was first discovered.  I find it more enjoyable when one gets to using the machine.  Also found out that Shelby was an instapot doubter like me but she came over to the dark side along with the Anova circulator and the CSO!  Ha, ha.  Anna N and rotuts really gave it work out.  Making notes as I go along......need a notebook.  It's on my list.

• Like 2

Red Covered [engineering lined ( little squares ) ]   

from Staples or WhatEver.com

are best.

individual volumes   for the CSB, the SV  work very well too

SV Notebook.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Exactly Right

as the Loonies are not doing so well these days

a Black Cover,   N.of the Border,  would be

aceptable, but only  N.of the Border

these days.

just saying

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Red cover is critical, I think.

I totally agree but I've never been able to find those with the red cover AND squares. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

just to be clear :

A Loonie :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lighter-toonies-and-loonies-create-40m-headache-1.1234785

not so much are Friends N. of the Border.

well they do have issues with the CSB ............

transportation issues it seems  .......

fine    In Time  ....................

too bad the CSB does not have a Button for Crispy Fried Calamari  ...........

see ?  always something.

Speaking of Crispy Fried Calamari (too bad I can't find calamari around these parts) ... one of these days I am going to put a couple of inches of oil in the IP and test the temperatures it can get to under the Saute (low, normal and high) settings. You can't 'pressure fry' but I bet you can crispy fry with the setting on high and the lid open - just as you might in a pot on the stove.

@Deryn

Ohooo  Yeeeh !

I can get Fz calamari in the Chinese Emporium In Alston I some time go to

fresh, well maybe  

I will say, Ive avoided """  fried  """

some times for Heath reasons   [ed.:  MR fixes this, what a Nut Job ! ]

but aside from the IP and  ............

Ill move Calamari, personally cleaned   by myself  to the very  Top of the Top most Top

of course   Ive noted that Im 6 M out of Orbitals  :  its a bit hot here  but well .............

so this interests me now ?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Deryn said:

Speaking of Crispy Fried Calamari (too bad I can't find calamari around these parts) ... one of these days I am going to put a couple of inches of oil in the IP and test the temperatures it can get to under the Saute (low, normal and high) settings. You can't 'pressure fry' but I bet you can crispy fry with the setting on high and the lid open - just as you might in a pot on the stove.

Looking forward to the results of your test.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I think the issue for me would be not can it reach deep frying temperatures but how do you moderate those temperatures quickly and safely.  It is not exactly the most responsive of vessels.   But I'll be interested in anyone else who wants to give it a try.   It is certainly deep enough to contain any splatter.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I could put my IP in a cupboard I suppose ... but I have found a use for it almost every single day since I bought it so I would be constantly hauling it out and putting it back in. Can't say that for most of my other small appliances.

• Like 3

My prime day Instant Pot arrived yesterday! The Hip pressure cooking book & Shelby's springform pan for cheesecakes are scheduled to arrive today. Planning to experiment with it this weekend!  :D

• Like 4

Ha, ha, haDSC01489.jpgDSC01490.jpg, thank you Canada Post!  Due to the possibility of a postal strike Purolator are working today and guess what came!  Correct!  And it fits in it's new home.  Just doing the water test run.

Nicely made unit. 

Everybody was right, argh, again!O.o

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Ha, ha, haDSC01489.jpgDSC01490.jpg, thank you Canada Post!  Due to the possibility of a postal strike Purolator are working today and guess what came!  Correct!  And it fits in it's new home.  Just doing the water test run.

Nicely made unit. 

Everybody was right, argh, again!O.o

Nice!!!  Now do the hardboiled eggs :D

I've had soooo much fun with my new toy today! Water/pressure tested, made two perfectly hard boiled easy to peel eggs, and cooked up the most delicious red bliss potatoes! Boy oh boy, am I impressed with those potatoes.  :D

Definitely going to make some mashed potatoes soon and hoping to IP a cheesecake tomorrow. Glad to be part of the IP gang. :B

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, curls said:

I've had soooo much fun with my new toy today! Water/pressure tested, made two perfectly hard boiled easy to peel eggs, and cooked up the most delicious red bliss potatoes! Boy oh boy, am I impressed with those potatoes.  :D

Definitely going to make some mashed potatoes soon and hoping to IP a cheesecake tomorrow. Glad to be part of the IP gang. :B

:D  You're off and running with a bang!

Ohhhhh I'm ready for another cheesecake, too...and I have some fresh berries to put on top.  Shoot.  Might have to join you.

• Like 3

Just heated up some pasta sauce for tonight's dinner in the IP because... well I just got an IP.  ;-)

BTW as many of you already know, the sauté function works very well.

• Like 2

Lately I'm using the saute and/or slow cook functions of my IP more than the pressure ones. I just made some 'Pulpo en Escabeche' (hot pickled? octopus)  I didn't thought of taking some photos, but here is the recipe:

• 500g Octopus cooked (boiled) legs.
  • 1 big sweet onion.
  • 2 bay leaves.
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • A few whole black peppercorns.
  •    1 teaspoon (sweet).
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (hot).
  • 1 glass (200/250 cc) of water.
  • 1 glass (200/250 cc) of white wine.
  • 3/4 glass (150/175 cc) of vinegar.
  • Pinch of dried thyme. 
  • 5/6 tablespoon of Olive oil.
  • Salt.

Saute (medium) the garlic cut in thick slices, bay leaves and peppercorns in the oil without allowing the garlic to brown.

Cut the onion in thin wedges and then dice 1/4 of those (small). Add to the pot salt, and saute (medium) 15 min more or until soft (no browning).

Turn off the IP. Let it rest a couple of minutes, add the paprika and mix it well with the warm oil until dissolved.

Turn on the IP again, saute (medium) and when the oil starts to get hot add the wine (I like Barbadillo for this) and let it cook for 10 minutes more (no lid).

Add water and vinegar (I used Sherry because I was out of white), cook it for five more minutes.

Turn off the IP and let it rest for 5 min. You dont want to add the octopus when the escabeche is hot.

Add the thyme (this is not traditional, but I love it).

Cut the octopus's legs in thick pieces (1/1.5 cm) and add (the should be full submerged) them to the warm escabeche.

When cool put in a container and keep it in the fridge.

Wait until next day to eat (this is the hard part).

Edited by cta (log)
  • Like 2

I got a second IP, also. I really love them for cooking eggs, potatoes and pork ribs. Ribs are delicious! I put a cup or two of apple juice and a splash of cider vinegar in the IP, then sprinkle the ribs with S & P and put them on the rack and cook on Meat/Stew setting for 20 - 25 mins. Then I arrange them on a foil-lined baking sheet and spread some homemade BBQ sauce on them and bake them at 400F for 10 mins or so, maybe finish with a quick broil. If there is room, I might throw a couple of onion quarters in the IP along with the ribs. So SO good! 

• Like 5