• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I can't find my post, but I had the same thing happen with some RG beans.  They were not the same kind as you used.   I did at least 3 45 min rounds (was making baked beans like you were) and they still weren't done.  I gave up and did another round the next morning and they were great.  Not blaming the beans at all.  They were not old.  I decided that I needed to plan ahead better and soak them next time but I dunno if that would have helped.

Wonder if it has something to do with the sugar/molasses? I figured I'd have to cook them longer, but sure didn't think it'd take two hours and them still not be done.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Wonder if it has something to do with the sugar/molasses? I figured I'd have to cook them longer, but sure didn't think it'd take two hours and them still not be done.

You might be on to something.

Also,  I read how your beans tasted on the bitter side and mine did too!  I chalked it up to using too  much molasses because I didn't measure but I think you are so right about the overcooking. 

9 hours ago, kayb said:

That answers the question!  Molasses is acid.  Those poor beans will never soften.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

When I make baked beans - I cook the beans first - then they get baked with the remaining ingredients - ditto the ones I do in the slow cooker - so I guess the pressure cooker has the same issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

When I make baked beans - I cook the beans first - then they get baked with the remaining ingredients - ditto the ones I do in the slow cooker - so I guess the pressure cooker has the same issue.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That answers the question!  Molasses is acid.  Those poor beans will never soften.

Aha!!!!  Thank you both very much.  

image.jpeg

Doesn't look like much but this creamy cauliflower soup from Leite's Culinaria is wicked good. I made it in the Instant Pot but using only the saute function. I very rarely get cheffy but this soup seemed to warrant the time it took to strain it.  Consult with your cardiologist before going back for secondsxD

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That sounds like a strong endorsement!  Is it for this one?  Or this one with gorgonzola?  Or another one :smile:?

The first one!  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• society donor
  • 3,975 posts
14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bingo. Well, now I know! Thanks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

I IP'd  and CSB'd some country style ribs today at the same time.

most of the story is here :

for the IP  I used the same rub and chose 40 min  high press steam.  natural release.

I forgot to turn the 'warm' to 'off'  so but the time i figured that out, they had been in the IP for 30 ++++  minutes.  I rarely do natural realse.

I forgot to take a pic of the ribs when done.   they were very very tender and very much falling off the bone.   30 minutes next time with a note to turn off the warm

Pork IP glaze.jpg

here is what they looked like  sans bones, and steam - broiled in the CSB for 10 at 500 F.

this will be nice shredded in wraps tomorrow  etc.

the CSB time  was so close to the IP time,and with my error of both the total pressure time   ( I think 30 would have been better , with an 'Off' natural release )

the CSB  made a far more outstanding dish.

but  there was significant Operator Error with the IP

and I do think the steam function mattered quite a bit with the final result.    a dry oven with similar times would not have produced the same result.

you would have noticed some dryness in the Pork.

but if you don't have a CSB, and adjust time times in  the IP to your liking for tenderness,   IP'd would have been delicious too.

PS  I ran out of TJ's General Tao sauce   so the above pic would have been more impressive with more sauce before the Broil

and some touch-up sauce right after the broil for that Shine we all enjoy.

PPS  the IP had of course more 'jus'  as it started with 1 cup water.    It had good flavor.   I added that to the 1 cup you see above

will de- fat when cold and save and use as the 'broth' for some IP soup in the future.  it really was tasty, and pork-et  Yum.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Nice comparison, rotuts!  And using my two favorite eG-inspired purchases, too!

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I forgot to turn the 'warm' to 'off'

According to Dadcooksdinner:

"Keep Warm mode does not slow down natural pressure release. It does not turn the heat back on until it reaches the warming range of 145°F to 172°F, which is well below the temperature where the pressure will release."

In his comparison tests, he said it took between 20 and 24 minutes for pressure to come down naturally whether "keep warm" was on or off so it seems not to matter.  

Edited to add that he was using a quart of liquid in those tests.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add volume info (log)
  • Like 1

nice pick up, BD !  I feel a bit better now.

30 min for what I had would have been better I think.

of course  CSRibs  probably won't be on sale any time soon for a re-do

• Like 1

I need to pick up some CS ribs; I do love them, particularly braised in apple cider and then shredded  and served with sauerkraut and fried apples and onions. I see that meal in my IP's future.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 4/9/2016 at 6:30 PM, kayb said:

Reason no. 5,387 why I love my IP: Came home from my volunteer shift at the soup kitchen with an unexpected gift of a smoked pork tenderloin, so now in my IP are a half-pound of RG alubia blanco beans, with molasses, dry mustard, regular grainy mustard, brown sugar and bacon.  Boston baked beans, pork tenderloin, potato salad, jail slaw in the fridge already. We'll eat well tonight!

What is "jail slaw"?  And sorry about your beans.  I have not yet had any problem using the IP to cook dry beans (no soak) and I hope that I never do.  And I do use Rancho Gordo beans but also cheap chickpeas and black beans (Goya) from my local supermarket.  With my luck, however, I'll probably have that problem for the first time when I've got company coming over. :(   

ETA:  I just read the posts about the molasses being acid.  I never thought about it so I looked it up and sure enough, molasses is usually around 5.2 - 5.7 pH.  Learn something new every day. :)  I have learned from past failures (decades ago) to never add anything but salt to dried beans before they reach the desired level of tenderness.  After they reach that point, I often add something acidic in order to prevent the skins from suffering from blow out, assuming that I intend to keep cooking them (e.g., Boston baked beans).

Edited by kbjesq
add comment (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

Baby backs again. It is my number two son's birthday tomorrow.  He will come by tonight after work for dinner and I know he loves ribs.  These were rubbed with a homemade Bone Dust from an old recipe I had hanging around forever.  Into the IP in a tepee formation with half a cup of water and cooked at high pressure for 30 minutes with quick release.  They are now lapping up some commercial BBQ sauce in my refrigerator and I will broil them for service. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Happy Birthday to your son, Anna. And a(n anniversary of the) birth-day hug for you as well - since, as my father always said, the mother should be the one celebrated that day every year since the kid doesn't remember what he/she put his mother through.

• Like 3

Currently riffing a beef massaman curry from leftover massaman paste and the sad contents of my veggie drawer plus some stewing steak. Steak and coconut milk went in for 35 mins NR, and then apparently we have to put the spices in, which seems backward to me but there you go. Currently on a 4 hour slow cook for the rest. Smells seem promising although I imagine I will have to reduce at the end as I lost patience with the dried tamarind and lots of tamarind water went in instead.

• Like 3

Made Jacques Pepin's Bolognese sauce in the Instant Pot this morning. Cooked high pressure for 20 minutes with QR. Then cooked down on sautee mode (low) for 30 minutes unattended.  So far not all that impressed with the taste or the consistency. I did salt it (the original recipe calls for 1/4 tsp salt!) The recipe is readily available by googling. I have never made the recipe before so have nothing to compare it with in terms of is it better In the pressure cooker or on the stovetop. No photos as meat sauce is meat sauce...boring in a photo. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Shelby said:

Made another batch of yogurt yesterday in the IP.  I tasted it after 4 hours of it incubating and I decided that I like that flavor better than letting it go for 8.  Not as "sour".

How thick was it compared to an 8 hour incubation?

Thanks, Shelby.  I gave some of my last batch to my polite sister who said "your yogurt is a little tangier than I am used to" and didn't ask for any more.  I'll shorten the time when I next make it and see how that works out.  I was under what seems to be the mistaken impression that the longer you let it incubate, the thicker it got.

• Like 2