• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cta

cta

Lately I'm using the saute and/or slow cook functions of my IP more than the pressure ones. I just made some 'Pulpo en Escabeche' (hot pickled? octopus)  I didn't thought of taking some photos, but here is the recipe:

• 500g Octopus cooked (boiled) legs.
  • 1 big sweet onion.
  • 2 bay leaves.
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • A few whole black peppercorns.
  •    1 teaspoon (sweet).
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (hot).
  • 1 glass (200/250 cc) of water.
  • 1 glass (200/250 cc) of white wine.
  • 3/4 glass (150/175 cc) of vinegar.
  • Pinch of dried thyme. 
  • 5/6 tablespoon of Olive oil.
  • Salt.

Saute (medium) the garlic cut in thick slices, bay leaves and peppercorns in the oil without allowing the garlic to brown.

Cut the onion in thin wedges and then dice 1/4 of those (small). Add to the pot salt, and saute (medium) 15 min more or until soft (no browning).

Turn off the IP. Let it rest a couple of minutes, add the paprika and mix it well with the warm oil until dissolved.

Turn on the IP again, saute (medium) and when the oil starts to get hot add the wine (I like Barbadillo for this) and let it cook for 10 minutes more (no lid).

Add water and vinegar (I used Sherry because I was out of white), cook it for five more minutes.

Turn off the IP and let it rest for 5 min. You dont want to add the octopus when the escabeche is hot.

Add the thyme (this is not traditional, but I love it).

Cut the octopus's legs in thick pieces (1/1.5 cm) and add (the should be full submerged) them to the warm escabeche.

When cool put in a container and keep it in the fridge.

Wait until next day to eat (this is the hard part).

cta

cta

Lately I'm using the saute and/or slow cook functions of my IP more than the pressure ones. I just made some 'Pulpo en Escabeche' (hot pickled? octopus)  I didn't thought of taking some photos, but here is the recipe:

• 500g Octopus cooked (boiled) legs.
  • 1 big sweet onion.
  • 2 bay leaves.
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • A few whole black peppercorns.
  •    1 teaspoon (sweet).
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (hot).
  • 1 glass (200/250 cc) of water.
  • 1 glass (200/250 cc) of white wine.
  • 3/4 glass (150/175 cc) of vinegar.
  • Pinch of dried thyme. 
  • 5/6 tablespoon of Olive oil.
  • Salt.

Saute (medium) the garlic cut in thick slices, bay leaves and peppercorns in the oil without allowing the garlic to brown.

Cut the onion in thin wedges and then dice 1/4 of those (small). Add to the pot salt, and saute (medium) 15 min more or until soft (no browning).

Turn off the IP. Let it rest a couple of minutes, add the paprika and mix it well with the warm oil until dissolved.

Turn on the IP again, saute (medium) and when the oil starts to get hot add the wine (I like Barbadillo for this) and let it cook for 10 minutes more (no lid).

Add water and vinegar (I used Sherry because I was out of white), cook it for five more minutes.

Turn of the IP and let it rest for 5 min. You dont want to add the octopus when the escabeche is hot.

Add the thyme (this is not traditional, but I love it).

Cut the octopus's legs in thick pieces (1/1.5 cm) and add (the should be full submerged) them to the warm escabeche.

When cool put in a container and keep it in the fridge.

Wait until next day to eat (this is the hard part).