• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

Franci - Just because many of us now have an IP (or two) or the equivalent and love them, doesn't mean everyone HAS to have one or that they fit into everyone's lifestyle/cooking style. I don't think this particular appliance is going away any time soon - so take your time and continue to think about what it is YOU need or don't need. Over time too, your needs and wants may change.

I have found that I never use my regular (Fissler) pressure cookers any more, except occasionally as just a heavy pan to cook in on the stove if everything else is dirty. That is probably the case for a number of us who now have IPs. I have a set of two - a small one and a larger one. Perhaps we should donate our old pressure cookers to the 'undecided' or 'can't have an IP right now's' - like you - or you may want to look in thrift stores because as time goes on and more adopt this 'technology' you may find many 'old fashioned', non-electric pressure cookers for sale there.

In other words, I won't try to convince you to buy an IP. I am happy with mine but I am no evangelist. I will say however that there is a slightly smaller version of the IP (most of us have 6 quart ones, but there is a 5 quart Duo as well). IF you decide to buy one, I would recommend the 7-in-1 Duo version in whatever size fits your needs, as I think it has the most versatility.

eta: If you also use a slow cooker, or slow cook anything, or a rice cooker, or make yogourt, you may want to consider that those functions are possible with an IP - so you could free up a bit of storage space over time by using just one appliance to accomplish all those tasks.

Deryn

Deryn

Franci - Just because many of us now have an IP (or two) or the equivalent and love them, doesn't mean everyone HAS to have one or that they fit into everyone's lifestyle/cooking style. I don't think this particular appliance is going away any time soon - so take your time and continue to think about what it is YOU need or don't need. Over time too, your needs and wants may change.

I have found that I never use my regular (Fissler) pressure cookers any more, except occasionally as just a heavy pan to cook in on the stove if everything else is dirty. That is probably the case for a number of us who now have IPs. I have a set of two - a small one and a larger one.. Perhaps we should donate our old pressure cookers to the 'undecided' or 'can't have an IP right now's' - like you - or you may want to look in thrift stores because as time goes on and more adopt this 'technology' you may find many 'old fashioned', non-electric pressure cookers for sale there.

In other words, I won't try to convince you to buy an IP. I am happy with mine but I am no evangelist. I will say however that there is a slightly smaller version of the IP (most of us have 6 quart ones, but there is a 5 quart Duo as well). IF you decide to buy one, I would recommend the 7-in-1 Duo version in whatever size fits your needs, as I think it has the most versatility.

eta: If you also use a slow cooker, or slow cook anything, or a rice cooker, or make yogourt, you may want to consider that those functions are possible with an IP - so you could free up a bit of storage space over time by using just one appliance to accomplish all those tasks.

Deryn

Deryn

I have found that I never use my regular (Fissler) pressure cookers any more, except occasionally as just a heavy pan to cook in on the stove if everything else is dirty. That is probably the case for a number of us who now have IPs. I have a set of two - a small one and a larger one.. Perhaps we should donate our old pressure cookers to the 'undecided' or 'can't have an IP right now's' - like you - or you may want to look in thrift stores because as time goes on and more adopt this 'technology' you may find many 'old fashioned', non-electric pressure cookers for sale there.

eta: If you also use a slow cooker, or slow cook anything, or a rice cooker, or make yogourt, you may want to consider that those functions are also a part of the what the IP is capable of.

Deryn

Deryn