• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jasmine Water Sorbet

Dis Pater

I came across a recipe of Jasmine Water Sorbet in 'Uchi: The Cookbook.' The recipe requires 32 oz water, 8 oz sugar, 4 oz glucose syrup, 2 oz sorbet stabilizer, and 6 oz jasmine water extract.

My main concern before attempting the recipe is will the jasmine extract be too overpowering? The label of my extract says "Add about 0.01 - 0.05% in relation to the weight of the food." However, based on the recipe above, the extract is going to be around 11.5% of the mixture volume.

Also, might the high concentration of the jasmine extract be unhealthy? The ingredients of the extract are propylene glycol, water, and jasmine essence.

That has to be a typo unless they're using some proprietary or homemade jasmine water that is much less potent than any of the commercial flower waters I've used. That would more like homemade perfume than a sorbet base.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you for all the answers so far!

I would like to mention that, according to the recipe, jasmine water extract is added after the rest of the mixture reaches the boiling point and is removed from heat. Then, the whole thing is cooled over an ice bath. I don't know if adding the extract to high temperature mixture helps lessen its intensity due to evaporation. 

• Like 1