• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

The "special this week" aisle has struck again.

20190817_185328.thumb.jpg.df4553e78e14a5a6f6f8e31dd8689208.jpg

20190817_185337.thumb.jpg.5710effbeea1948842411aec30cae305.jpg

Now, I don't NEED a quesadilla maker. But it was $12.99. And I figure I can use corn tortillas and some interesting fillings and come up with some good gluten free sandwiches. 

Bought figs at the Farmers Market today. Fig and blue cheese quesadillas?

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

The "special this week" aisle has struck again.

20190817_185328.thumb.jpg.df4553e78e14a5a6f6f8e31dd8689208.jpg

20190817_185337.thumb.jpg.5710effbeea1948842411aec30cae305.jpg

Now, I don't NEED a quesadilla maker. But it was $12.99. And I figure I can use corn tortillas and some interesting fillings and come up with some good gluten free sandwiches. 

Bought figs at the Farmers Market today. Fig and blue cheese quesadillas?

I looked at one of these in the local Goodwill store and passed it by, being of strong sales resistance at the time. If you show some great results, I might be tempted to go see if it's still there. :D Enable me, please!

• Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Our Aldi started carrying a chocolate bar containing crushed pretzels. Way to bulk up the bar with flour and salt rather than expensive chocolate and nuts.

Darn it, it was pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

5 hours ago, haresfur said:

Our Aldi started carrying a chocolate bar containing crushed pretzels. Way to bulk up the bar with flour and salt rather than expensive chocolate and nuts.

Darn it, it was pretty good.

At least in New Jersey, where I live, if someone puts flour in a chocolate bar you don't have to pay tax on it.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 year later...

Yesterday was the Grand Opening for the Aldi store in my neighborhood

255F10DE-5554-420C-A298-A3FB0735F82D.thumb.jpeg.a8bc68acf5987c3d87a6711e853362f7.jpeg

I drove by the morning and saw that the parking lot was mostly empty so I decided to stop in. 

No crowds!

EF19C22A-AF2A-4230-A672-32E267B9211E.thumb.jpeg.d465b4cd5f5f69a8c08838457e1b8cd5.jpeg

I was apparently in some kind of porky mood as aside from some bananas that missed the photo, this is what I ended up with:

99B25451-FB5E-431C-996D-1EB80E1278E2.thumb.jpeg.ee86eb31315ff6686c0a1e8443afc9f1.jpeg

It's about 2 miles away, so within walking distance as long as I don't buy too much stuff. 

Also, they had these whole frozen ducks for $2.49/lb.  I was kind of put off by the "seasoned with approx 12 percent of water, salt and sodium phosphate."  Has anyone tried one?

Edited by blue_dolphin
to remove random characters added by Patrick when he walked across the keyboard and posted this before I was done! (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

255F10DE-5554-420C-A298-A3FB0735F82D.thumb.jpeg.a8bc68acf5987c3d87a6711e853362f7.jpeg

I drove by the morning and saw that the parking lot was mostly empty so I decided to stop in. 

No crowds!

EF19C22A-AF2A-4230-A672-32E267B9211E.thumb.jpeg.d465b4cd5f5f69a8c08838457e1b8cd5.jpeg

I was apparently in some kind of porky mood as aside from some bananas that missed the photo, this is what I ended up with:

99B25451-FB5E-431C-996D-1EB80E1278E2.thumb.jpeg.ee86eb31315ff6686c0a1e8443afc9f1.jpeg

It's about 2 miles away, so within walking distance as long as I don't buy too much stuff. 

Also, they had these whole frozen ducks for $2.49/lb.  I was kind of put off by the "seasoned with approx 12 percent of water, salt and sodium phosphate."  Has anyone tried one?

I bought frozen chicken breasts once that had been "seasoned" as you describe.  The amount of water in them when they thawed was, ahem, remarkable.  That taught me to read labels on everything.   I now stay away from most frozen items.

PS:  you need to teach Patrick to type properly.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

No crowds!

WOW!

Your Aldi's looks nothing like mine does on the inside (and that's a good thing).  

I'm soooooo wanting that port wine cheese.  I usually buy some around this time but I don't know if I'll go to a store that has it anytime soon.

• Like 1

it seem in my area

Aldi has senior hours:

Aldi: Stores are open from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays for seniors and at-risk

customers to shop.

Ill trytonrememnber this

and look into  them after Christmas.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Those cookies are fantastic.  I'm sitting here in my dining room/office (😁) looking at my own bag of the same. 

When I saw them, I thought I remembered you mentioning that they were good.

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

WOW!

Your Aldi's looks nothing like mine does on the inside (and that's a good thing).  

I'm soooooo wanting that port wine cheese.  I usually buy some around this time but I don't know if I'll go to a store that has it anytime soon.

Of course, there was hardly anyone in there but it does seem quite spacious.  They had the aisles marked for one-way traffic,  not sure anyone was paying attention. 

That port wine cheese in the little brown Wispride crock was a regular holiday treat when I was growing up so I had to get it for old times sake!  This doesn't taste quite as sharp as I remember but it's not bad. 

• Like 3

the Aldi very near me might look  like this:

aldi.thumb.jpg.2802225d2ba0ff1732639e7cc336862e.jpg

I can't tell if this the real plc or a stock pic.

I wonder where the 25 c cars are ?

maybe that brick thingy

it was not there before.

Harbor Freight  and Total Wine are on the L and the R

BTW

some one tried to rob Aldi at GunPoint

and is now in custody w no bail

no joke

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, rotuts said:

is the ' woven wheat ' like Trisxits ?

TJ's had their version for a long time

less salt

and thy disappeared. 

Yes, I think they are supposed to be fake Triscuits.  Haven't tried them yet. I meant to get plain but grabbed the cracked pepper flavor by mistake.  If they're OK, I'll go back for the plain.  I used to buy the dearly departed TJ's ones all the time and it would be handy if these are a good substitute.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the Aldi near me had really low prices - like 30% off the normal price - for things like veg, meat and so on. 

I did buy soy milk from their for $2 rather than $4 for the standard carton. It was organic so the quality label was there. But it was very watered down and when I put it into my coffee, it diluted the taste so much that it was like adding water. 

I think when times are tight and saving a few dollars would help, Aldi is the place I would go. Their prices are incredible if you are looking for a deal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@eugenep 

interesting notes on dilution.

Aldi mayonnaise is very very very close to BestFoods / Hellmans   

and significantly cheaper.   they also have their brand of MiracleWhip , 

again very very very similar to be indistinguishable .    but for me , The Whip is no Miracle.

I used to go to MarketBasked , a local family owned supermarket chain.  their business model

makes many of their items significantly cheaper , their brands , and major advertised brands.

after a few Vacc's , Ill go back their .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

No crowds!

Good choices! My favorite cookies. 🙂 I got one of the frozen ducks last year and it was very good. Last time I was at my Aldi, they also had roasted frozen duck halves at a pretty good price. If I had room in my freezer, I'd have gotten a couple of them to keep on hand for making salads or "instant" cassoulet.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

15 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Good choices! My favorite cookies. 🙂 I got one of the frozen ducks last year and it was very good. Last time I was at my Aldi, they also had roasted frozen duck halves at a pretty good price. If I had room in my freezer, I'd have gotten a couple of them to keep on hand for making salads or "instant" cassoulet.

The cookies are good. I'm having one with my coffee now!  

Thanks for the duck input.  I might go back and get one.  It's not really any different from a wet brine and while I wouldn't want to pay $10/lb for water, at $2.49/lb, it's not so bad.  Thirteen bucks for a bit of entertainment couldn't be all bad!

• Like 5

I made an Aldi run last week; I go there when I'm about to embark on Christmas treat-making, as butter, eggs, sugar(s), flour and such are significantly cheaper. And while I was in, I picked up a ham for Christmas. Their Appleton Farm spiral sliced hams are just excellent.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

there is an Aldi near me

closer than Tj's

but Im hesitant to blitz more than my two chosen stores

until i get Vacc'd x X   X = as many as available to me

so , i get their flyer.:

Appleton spiral Ham :  95 cents vs $ 1.69

good through 12/26

limit 2

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

My Aldi today -- I presume it was chain-wide -- had their Appleton Farms spiral sliced hams for 85 cents a pound, limit 2 to a customer, but I bought three, prepared to pay full price for one of 'em, and got the discount on all three. Butter (whatever their normal brand is, somebody's creamery), $1.89 a pound, no limit (I got six to go in the freezer); frozen orange juice concentrate, $1.19 a can (Kroger is $1.79). Asparagus (nice skinny spears), $1.29 a pound (I bought four and will pickle at least two of them, maybe three). 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

43 minutes ago, kayb said:

My Aldi today -- I presume it was chain-wide -- had their Appleton Farms spiral sliced hams for 85 cents a pound, limit 2 to a customer, but I bought three, prepared to pay full price for one of 'em, and got the discount on all three. Butter (whatever their normal brand is, somebody's creamery), $1.89 a pound, no limit (I got six to go in the freezer); frozen orange juice concentrate, $1.19 a can (Kroger is $1.79). Asparagus (nice skinny spears), $1.29 a pound (I bought four and will pickle at least two of them, maybe three). 

I just had to restrain Ronnie from going to the big city Aldi.  That is a GOOD price on ham.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Shelby said:

I just had to restrain Ronnie from going to the big city Aldi.  That is a GOOD price on ham.

It is not written that I won’t go back and get two more for the freezer. Two of the three I bought are for the soup kitchen.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.