• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

Heavy cream was back in stock last Tuesday. :cool:

cream.jpg

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

24 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Heavy cream was back in stock last Tuesday. :cool:

cream.jpg

Thanks to you, my husband came home with one of these yesterday.  I told him to stock up next time.  He said that there were two in the case.  Popular item.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

I have not read through the entire thread, just posts some posts on the first page.

I finally ventured into my newly-opened Aldi. Oops, no spare change to stick a quarter into the shopping cart to use it.  Produce prices varied from typical to a couple of good deals. Overall I wasn't impressed by the quality of the produce. Canned goods selection sucks. I didn't know I needed to bring my own bags.

Not much to cause me to want to return, and the "rent our shopping cart" thing was very off-putting.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I think the shopping cart thing is brilliant.  won't work at a very busy place as you would need more than two 'lines'

BTW  its not a rental, but a refundable deposit.

love the idea there are no shopping carts in the parking lot

at Total Wine there are a zillion, boozers it seems are pretty selfish in returning them to those return your cart p[alces

and they bump into lots of cars

• Like 3

I just returned from a grocery run that included Aldi for just 2 items. A gallon of 1% milk (you do have to watch the date, the one I got was May 6) for $2.29 and a half gallon of orange juice (not from concentrate) for $1.99. These are items we get there quite often.

rotuts, I did get the TJs Dijon mustard for a comparison and the TJs does have more authority and sinus clearing properties so that gets moved into the TJs column.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

I apologise. I used the wrong wording for the shopping cart thing. Needing a quarter for a deposit is off-putting. With my health issues I need the cart to get stuff to my car. I am most likely not their target demographic. 

Fresh n Easy, gone now around here, didn't work for me either.

Within a 3 mile radius I have 5 different supermarkets that I will shop at, others that I won't, and a Costco. Aldi doesn't bring anything specialt to the table for me.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On April 22, 2016 at 9:03 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:
On April 22, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Shelby said:

Thanks to you, my husband came home with one of these yesterday.  I told him to stock up next time.  He said that there were two in the case.  Popular item.

Quoting myself:

Ronnie just came home with 4 pints at 1.69.  He bought all that were in the case lol.

• Like 3

/quote

The East Coast supermarket chain ranked as consumers' favorite grocery retailer, according to a recent report from Market Force Information.

This is the first time in four years Trader Joe's didn't take the top spot.

/unquote

link is:

http://www.marketforce.com/wegmans-and-publix-are-america%E2%80%99s-favorite-grocery-retailers-market-force-panel-research

to the thread,,,, Aldi was #5 of 15.

also a surprise, Aldi has bunches more locations than many "more famous" names.

before getting into the happy dance mode, do go to the source and read what the survey measured - this is one of those deals where one can construct a survey to get any answer you want.

/quote

Market Force asked participants to rate their satisfaction with their most recent grocery shopping experience and their likelihood to refer that grocer to others.

/unquote

the survey does not ask "Do you find X better than Y?"

it asks if you were a happy shopper on your last visit.

Question:  if one was not a happy shopper, why would one go back?

could such a built-in bias skew the results?

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, Porthos said:

I have not read through the entire thread, just posts some posts on the first page.

I finally ventured into my newly-opened Aldi. Oops, no spare change to stick a quarter into the shopping cart to use it.  Produce prices varied from typical to a couple of good deals. Overall I wasn't impressed by the quality of the produce. Canned goods selection sucks. I didn't know I needed to bring my own bags.

Not much to cause me to want to return, and the "rent our shopping cart" thing was very off-putting.

I haven't graduated to the shopping cart level.  I just laser-focus on certain items.  e.g. Milk - 1 Gal -$1.49.  I'll take that and turn it into 20oz of ricotta which would normally cost $5-$6 at a typical grocery.

Domestic Prosciutto as good as Walmart Del Duca's offering for $1.00 less (per 3oz).

Don't focus on their prepared (frozen) foods.  Even the best priced of those are generally a big waste.  ALDI loses to Walmart in frozen waffle prices.

The clone-food offerings might offer some value.  For instance, their 'Savortiz" Cheez-It's clones are 1$ less than their namesakes.  We determined the slight difference still gave the mega-brand the edge, but it is so slight that I bet many people prefer the cheaper option.

Canned goods - Yeah, maybe some tomato sauce or something.

Fresh produce and meat - Generally not what I would go there for, but keep your eye out.  Especially on Wednesdays.  They seem to  want to get a jump on the normal weekly ads by a day, but only on Wednesday.  Check the website.  One cool thing is that they'll normally have the next week's ad up as well.

• Like 1

Went once more. Brought a bag in to use instead of a cart. When checking out the cashier was brusque and unhelpful. This ain't baseball. Two strikes and you're out.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Porthos  

upthread there is a solution to this.

but Im guessing the store is not for you

when i went to my ' semi- local '  not bing even remotely busy, the check out person was beyond apologetic for the ( short ) line.

to each their own.

@rotuts

Yup, not for me. From my post above: "Within a 3 mile radius I have 5 different supermarkets that I will shop at, others that I won't, and a Costco. Aldi doesn't bring anything special to the table for me." (Italics added)

I am fine with others finding it a good place to shop.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Some of the older/worse Aldi's stores would be prime for an episode of Undercover Boss.

I think my local store would be right there.

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Largely due to this topic, I have taken to going occasionally for stock-up items that are significantly cheaper than Kroger -- butter, cream, etc. But there is almost never more than one checker working, even with a long line. If I'm buying 10 pounds of butter at a time, which I periodically do (it freezes well!), I'll tolerate that as long as I've remembered to go on a non-busy day.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I also went on a non-buisy day. and there was only one checker.

Ill go there for butter ( unless it drops < $ 2 locally at a MegaloMart , which it does from time to time )  Mayo if I don't restock the Hellman's 

@ 1.99  / jar.     I get at least 6 jars at a time and at least 5 lbs of butter which I vac & freeze.

but I can see the check-out-ing being a nightmare if your not careful.

• Like 1

Aldi seems to be one of those things that save significant money so long as part of a strategic plan. Aldi for mayo, Costco for meats etc.etc.. If one doesn't go all-in then savings are trivial.

• Like 1

On our last visit to Aldi's, the line was terrible and, as usual, just one checker. One couple had two over flowing grocery carts.  Glad I kept my nasty looks and possible snide comments to myself.  The checker told me they were there buying groceries to donate to the local food pantry.  That brought me up short.  Here was a couple buying food for people who couldn't even shop for their own and I was on the verge of bitching with my mouth full so to speak.  Kind of put standing in line in perspective! 

• Like 10

Yes, it is, especially  watching the Cardinals play so far!  It is far too easy to pick up vibes from the others in line.  I should spend more time reading headlines from the trashy magazines while waiting in line.  Plenty of shits and giggles there.  My favorite little taco joint buys their chips at Aldis.  Found that out after I said they tasted like real homemade ones.  Given the right atmosphere, your mind can belive about anything.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Big Joe the Pro said:

Patience is a virtue.

and limits apply.  we have a Giant and a Weiss within spitting distance of each other.

once-upon-a-day-dream-dreary this Giant location was, by sq ft, biggest in the state.  the manager tells me they continue to "set records" amongst their peers.  they have 20+ checkout lanes plus six self-check out stations.  most of which are working on any given year, but the self-checkout units are Windows based software, so every month at auto-update time things get , , , ah,,,,errr,  uhmmmm, interesting.

the Weiss Market has markedly less business.  better produce, better prices on many things.  they had self-check out lanes but took them out.  the employees should all be fired and replaced.  two OMG examples:

- months back, shopped, went to check out.  two cashiers - one a (at least 70+ yo) dear lady who clearly had issues scanning anything without a protracted visual check of every single item.  there were 11 customers + me in two lines to check out.  I counted.  the on duty 'manager' approaches the front in conversation with an obvious personal acquaintance - she looks at the lines, says to her friend "come over here."  the """manager""" then opens a register, checks out her """friend""" and closes the register leaving the rest of us standing tooth in mouth.

- last week went in on a similar relatively minor shopping expedition.  one cashier/check-out lane open; three fake cashiers/employees/check-out females holding up the dividing wall to the customer service counter area, peering at their smart phones, ignoring the 8+ line of customers waiting.  so I picked out the most decent looking one, and stood staring - perhaps glaring is a better word, at her until she finally opted to wander over to a check-out lane and open it up.  it took 10.5 minutes of staring; I timed it.

I would shop there more often/extensively had any upper management a clue about what makes for customer service.  as it is, I go only when I am repulsed at the Giant produce selection.  which, regrets, is rather often.

1 hour ago, Big Joe the Pro said:

Patience is a virtue.

And I am not very virtuous.

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

and limits apply.  we have a Giant and a Weiss within spitting distance of each other.

once-upon-a-day-dream-dreary this Giant location was, by sq ft, biggest in the state.  the manager tells me they continue to "set records" amongst their peers.  they have 20+ checkout lanes plus six self-check out stations.  most of which are working on any given year, but the self-checkout units are Windows based software, so every month at auto-update time things get , , , ah,,,,errr,  uhmmmm, interesting.

the Weiss Market has markedly less business.  better produce, better prices on many things.  they had self-check out lanes but took them out.  the employees should all be fired and replaced.  two OMG examples:

- months back, shopped, went to check out.  two cashiers - one a (at least 70+ yo) dear lady who clearly had issues scanning anything without a protracted visual check of every single item.  there were 11 customers + me in two lines to check out.  I counted.  the on duty 'manager' approaches the front in conversation with an obvious personal acquaintance - she looks at the lines, says to her friend "come over here."  the """manager""" then opens a register, checks out her """friend""" and closes the register leaving the rest of us standing tooth in mouth.

- last week went in on a similar relatively minor shopping expedition.  one cashier/check-out lane open; three fake cashiers/employees/check-out females holding up the dividing wall to the customer service counter area, peering at their smart phones, ignoring the 8+ line of customers waiting.  so I picked out the most decent looking one, and stood staring - perhaps glaring is a better word, at her until she finally opted to wander over to a check-out lane and open it up.  it took 10.5 minutes of staring; I timed it.

I would shop there more often/extensively had any upper management a clue about what makes for customer service.  as it is, I go only when I am repulsed at the Giant produce selection.  which, regrets, is rather often.

An almost exact description of why I no longer shop at WalMart. I found an assistant manager whom I chewed up one side and down the other, to the absolute chagrin of my three then-teen daughters.

Of course, WalMart's produce also repulses me. As does its meat. I had already progressed at that time, to buying only things that were packaged elsewhere and sold there.

At least at Aldi, the single checker works at warp speed, so the long, long line moves more quickly than lines most anywhere else. I will say, though, at my Kroger, they do a great job of keeping the lines short. If every line has two or more people in it, they'll open new ones. So I limit my trips to Aldi, in loyal support of Kroger. Except for butter and now, fresh pineapple, which is 99 cents at Aldi and $3 and change at Kroger.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Finally got to the Aldi closest to me in NC the other day. The 'arrival aisle' (the one stacked with boxes of mostly 'snack items' was fine. The rest of the store was in some disarray. I think instead of being checkout people, the few staff may have to spend much of their time putting things back in order (the non-food items in the middle in particular) since customers don't seem to give a darn about what they pull down and play with as they pass. Nearly tripped over several 'patio' tables that were mid-aisle with a bunch of large 'outside toys' that several children were happily playing with to the beat of a VERY tired toddler whose mother didn't even seem to notice his cacophony (which is not really the store can control but the noise was deafening for the full 20 minutes I was there).

The produce and meat areas were almost bare and definitely didn't invite me to go over and survey their contents so I steered clear except to pass by to see if they were 'clean' - nope. Anyway, I poked around (without a cart) and picked up a few small items (mostly from the snack aisle). I take a while to browse because I always have to try to read the tiny ingredients labels - getting harder and harder to see these days. :( Check out was ok except that I picked up what I thought was ONE bag to put my purchases in and it turned out there were 2 stuck together. I didn't need 2 so I tried to return one quickly but as I had been charged for it, the checker gave me a really dirty look so I decided to 'donate' the bag to the guy behind me who I heard saying something about how it would be difficult to carry all he had without them but he didn't have enough money ($.11 with tax per) to buy any.

The line wasn't long and moved quickly but there was only 1 cashier there too. There were 2 other people in the store that I noticed - and both were doing the cleanup of garden items on aisle 2 all the time I was there (and neither was moving particularly swiftly at that task). In their defense though, there was a strange little old lady who stopped every shopper (me included), and especially engaged the staff, to talk and talk and talk - mostly about the storm the night before and how scared she was that trees would fall on her trailer - and blocked each aisle with her cart set a-kilter as she slowly moved around the store adding up every penny on her calculator and (when not engaging others) mumbling to herself.

At any rate, unless I am in the mood for a few small 'snack items' like chocolate, I will not be returning to Aldi often. I won't chase all over town for butter (don't use much here anyway) to save a few cents and I can't use commercially prepared mayo because most is made with soy oil these days. This particular Aldi IS better than the one on the other side of town but it is also newer. I would not go back to the other one at all - it was so bad last time I was there I was put off entirely. Aldi is just not MY favorite place. Happy though if it works for others! :)

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2