• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

Mayo Test Result :

Hellman's   and Aldi's  ( Burman's )

virtually identical.  and Ive had a few jugs of Hellman's in my life  ( and BestFoods, but none of that in my area )

Burman's is a little little little bit looser  :  at Room Temp  :  if you tilt a Hellman's Jar, the Mayo will 'split' along a 'fracture line'  try it

Bermans does not.  Id say you add any 1 - 2 molecules of anything to either one  ( i.e. make something with them ) you will not be able to tell the difference

Im trying both 'straight up'  on some crispy Tot's tonight   they will be both come from the refrig.

so   .... no need to seek out the BiAnnual  Hellmans sale @ 1.99   ( unless you enjoy that sort of thing )

If Aldi's is nonexistent in your area, go for the Hellman's at 1.99

I still have 3 1/2 jars of Hellman's from the last 1.99 sale   I got 10 jars at that time

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Does anyone else find that it's odd that Aldi has a store brand called 'Benton'?  That name really seems more appropriate for the behemoth from Arkansas.

Did my once-a-month trip to Shop'n'Save to lay in some decent meat today.  They have a nice $10 off $50 coupon that is hard to resist.  It's nice to go to a proper market from time to time.  Aldi drives me a bit buggy with their limited stock.  For example, they only carry tuna helper (my son's favorite) once a year.

Wow, brisket costs a fortune here!  Ouch!

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

here are the Two Mayo's side by side :

Mayo.thumb.jpg.010f638ef925cddf30c54a8a0

so which is which ?   ( Hellman's vs Aldi )

there was a slight color difference to the eye, but that didn't come out in the pic.

you have exactly a 50::50 chance  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Big Joe the Pro said:

Does anyone else find that it's odd that Aldi has a store brand called 'Benton'?  That name really seems more appropriate for the behemoth from Arkansas.

And as the Arkansan in the house, when I hear Benton mentioned in conjunction with food, I think about Benton's bacon and ham.

Incidentally, I will buy NO meat or produce at WalMart. The quality is horrible. I try not to shop there when I can avoid it...the place annoys me.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 3/23/2016 at 11:55 AM, KikiAnn said:

But the reason for my post: Before Christmas while walking down the non-food section, I found a blender. Called the Ambiano Professional Blender, it looked identical to my Vitamix. Since I had already purchased a $500+ Vitamix, I encouraged Mom to try this model at the $79 price tag. If it under produced as I thought it would we would return it. Out of the box, it looked and felt identical to my Vitamix, tamper and all. I am quite certain my pitcher would fit on this base, although I haven't tested it. Performance? Side by side nearly, mostly exactly, Vitamix quality. We tested it on everything - hot soup, smoothies, frozen. Seventy Nine Bucks.

Good to know. I'll keep an eye out next winter for that blender.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

On 3/23/2016 at 0:07 PM, rotuts said:

the did have a package of meat label Beef Rib Meat  4.98

there were no bones and I was not in the Beef SV mode.  the meat looked well marbled.   I had no idea where it came from on le Vache  

but if I go there for a May Run, Ill try to look over the very specific things people have mentioned.

they did have a very large selection of hams  perhaps for Easter ?

I've found the hams to be good, if overly salty. I buy them when they go on "sale." The bones make wonderful ham stock with lots of gelatin. I use all the trimmings from the meat (fat we don't want to eat, etc.) to make the stock, along with the bone, and if the ham is a spiral-cut, I chunk up what isn't spiral cut to put in beans. Very nummy.

• Like 3

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

On 3/24/2016 at 5:31 PM, rotuts said:

here are the Two Mayo's side by side :

Mayo.jpg

so which is which ?   ( Hellman's vs Aldi )

there was a slight color difference to the eye, but that didn't come out in the pic.

you have exactly a 50::50 chance  

@rotuts so do tell us, is the Hellmans on the right as we have guessed?  

My latest trip has been delayed for various reasons, but next time that I get to Aldi's, I'm going to refill the Hellmans jar with the Aldi's brand and see if the spouse notices.  I have saved and cleaned an empty jar of Hellmans. I am prepared. 

• Like 5

Hellmans is on the L

there is a very slight color difference, H's more yellow but not by very much at all.  is does not show up in the pic

H's is also a tiny bit firmer, but not much    it you mix up both you then can not tell the difference by firmness

ingredients both by order are the same   H's has 1 less calorie / unit    but those might be rounding errors.

once yoy do anything with the mayo, you can't tell any diff, including making a sandwich.

my turkey blt dip used Aldi's

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

I would also like to add that in the summer months, Aldi has whole watermelons at less that half the price of any nearby store. As a result, I always have watermelon in the fridge all summer long, something that used to be a complete luxury years ago is now a "pantry staple". I cut it up into sticks for easy eating on the boat, at the beach or on the road.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

clearly Aldi should be a consideration for us

if its 'easy' to get to, you can stock up on items that you keep  etc

Hellmans is a bit early with the 1.99 $ at one of my Chains.   i still have 3 from the late fall

so   as for me, Ill get several from time to time from Aldi when i go there for other things.

I do hope to eventually work with those pack of  beef  " Rib Meat "     4.99/ lbs  ( may be it was less ? )

as in my area, beef short ribs do not seem to be neatly at all and are way way over priced.

Edited by rotuts (log)

This thread reminded me I should go to the Aldi I drive by when I pick my daughter up from daycare.  I hadn't gotten around to it, and then two weeks ago, I stopped, only to discover it was closed.  This week, a fence has gone up around the whole site, and the house on either side of the store.  Don't know if it's being replaced, or replaced with a condo building....

We use a lot of cream; 3 to 4 pints per week.

I do buy ultra-pasteurized cream at Aldi because it's actually Byrne Dairy/Ultra Dairy brand (Plant #36-8580) priced less than the Byrne Dairy labeled cream at Sam's Club and the like.

Aldi's 'Country Creamery' cream is $1.69 for a pint; a quart of Byrne Dairy labeled cream is $4.12 at Sam's, a bit more elsewhere.

But, we stopped to buy some last Tuesday (I usually buy 12 at a time) and they were out! >:( The store manager said they've ordered it but haven't been able to get it recently. :(

I much prefer 'real' cream from a 'real' dairy but that's a 70 mile round-trip that we can't justify very often.

I also, occasionally, buy some Kerrygold cheeses at Aldi but there were none in stock.

Aldi's 'Carlini' extra-light-tasting, alleged, 'olive oil' is another product I also buy occasionally - it's very mild so I use it to make mayo - but they were out of that too!

So we left the store empty-handed this trip. :|

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Last year, our Aldi was closed for a couple of months while they renovated. It still looks like an Aldi, but it's now a bit brighter and it's still a little cleaner than I remember. And I still have a very specific list of things I buy there, just like I do at Trader Joe's and other specialty stores.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

39 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I do buy ultra-pasteurized cream at Aldi because it's actually Byrne Dairy/Ultra Dairy brand (Plant #36-8580) priced less than the Byrne Dairy labeled cream at Sam's Club and the like.

Aldi's 'Country Creamery' cream is $1.69 for a pint; a quart of Byrne Dairy labeled cream is $4.12 at Sam's, a bit more elsewhere.

But, we stopped to buy some last Tuesday (I usually buy 12 at a time) and they were out! >:( The store manager said they've ordered it but haven't been able to get it recently. :(

I much prefer 'real' cream from a 'real' dairy but that's a 70 mile round-trip that we can't justify very often.

I also, occasionally, buy some Kerrygold cheeses at Aldi but there were none in stock.

Aldi's 'Carlini' extra-light-tasting, alleged, 'olive oil' is another product I also buy occasionally - it's very mild so I use it to make mayo - but they were out of that too!

Wow, cream is cheap there.  I'll have to tell my husband about that (he likes to scavenger for bargains lol).  A couple months ago I had cream on the grocery list...I forget why I needed it so badly but I needed it no matter what.  The cream was over $10 for a quart.  I am not kidding.  I thought the store had rung it up wrong so he went back next time he was in town.  Nope.  That was the price. O.o  I was shocked.

• Like 1

Inspired by this thread I visited our local Aldi's yesterday. Sadly, it still smells quite dreadful. I didn't stay. Maybe a local management problem?

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I have two Aldi's within range and haven't noticed any odor issues at either.  My Aldi staples are milk,butter, chips, Choceur chocolate, procsciutto and soppresetta.  I also like some of their German sausages (they should know, right?).   Some cheeses (I can find mozz and cheddar cheaper at GFS)  Occasionally I've found fresh mushrooms (white or crimini) at 89 cents/8 oz.

[Edit] The only disappointment I've had is with eggs.  The ones I bought there on two separate occasions had smallish yolks.  I checked and they were labeled Grade A, but didn't seem to be in actuality.  Since I've recently taken to making my own mayo, this became a problem.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

I'm smack dab in the middle between 2 stores, both ~4 miles away.

I haven't noticed a stench but there's almost always some nastiness in the dairy cooler, dried egg or milk or whatever on the floor. It is, not surprisingly, the worst during the busy holiday season.

There's often some litter outside the store, but not real bad. My sidekick once found a $20 bill that had blown up against the outside of the building.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Will have to check there this week on cream, and take a look at the German sausages, as well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

44 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

There's often some litter outside the store, but not real bad. My sidekick once found a $20 bill that had blown up against the outside of the building.

This reminded me of my own shameful experience.  Just the other day, I was in there behind a guy that had a number of items.  Usually the cashiers at Aldi are pretty quick - just dumping the scanned items into the customer's cart (or in my case, my waiting hands as I don't want to go through the 25 cent cart nonsense).  But somehow, this cashier had managed to ring this guy's garden hose up twice and was having a problem voiding it out.  She had to get the other cashier to help her, thus holding up both lines.

So they got that resolved and she rang up my order and it seemed kind of high, but I had become increasingly impatient and just wanted to move on.  When I got into my car I looked at the receipt and it had a $14.99 garden hose on it.  I just sat there for a minute.  I had to go back in.  She would have remembered and it was obviously a mistake.  But then I'd have to hold up the line (probably both) again while they got it sorted.  Based on what I had observed, it could also mean her job.  So I just decided to let it all wash over me and drive off - hoping some good karma might follow me.

Later that evening, a truck drove into our driveway and a guy started unloading boxes.  "Ah, my shrubs are here..."  It turns out that I bought five $50 shrubs online and got six delivered.  And it also turned out that that sixth one was needed to properly fill out the space we had planned.  I was up $35 for the day.

So, yeah, maybe there's karma to be had at Aldi as well.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I had a houseful of grandchildren last weekend, so I ran by Aldi to pick up snack stuff for them. Besides goldfish and dried fruit, I picked up a few other bargains. Fresh pineapples were 99 cents each, so I got two; bananas, organic, for $1.19; milk, almond milk and cream, all cheaper than Kroger. Best selection of produce I've seen there in all my trips.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.