• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

6 minutes ago, KikiAnn said:

But the reason for my post: Before Christmas while walking down the non-food section, I found a blender. Called the Ambiano Professional Blender, it looked identical to my Vitamix. Since I had already purchased a $500+ Vitamix, I encouraged Mom to try this model at the $79 price tag. If it under produced as I thought it would we would return it. Out of the box, it looked and felt identical to my Vitamix, tamper and all. I am quite certain my pitcher would fit on this base, although I haven't tested it. Performance? Side by side nearly, mostly exactly, Vitamix quality. We tested it on everything - hot soup, smoothies, frozen. Seventy Nine Bucks.

There is a long discussion/comparison of this blender to the Vitamix on Chowhound.

• Like 4

the did have a package of meat label Beef Rib Meat  4.98

there were no bones and I was not in the Beef SV mode.  the meat looked well marbled.   I had no idea where it came from on le Vache  

but if I go there for a May Run, Ill try to look over the very specific things people have mentioned.

they did have a very large selection of hams  perhaps for Easter ?

my impression was that Aldi and TJ's were owned by different german brothers or cousins.

TJ's is much closer.  no slow trucks.

but I may have to open that May jar now  or Ill dream about it.

i just opened a new Hellmans ....

and no, for mayo   close will not due.    then there is the 10 cents, year round savings !

11 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

There is a long discussion/comparison of this blender to the Vitamix on Chowhound.

I ready that discussion after Mom purchased hers. After using the machine, I side with those that say it is comparable. I'd have to do a side by side, but hers is as solidly built and heavy as mine.

• Like 1

re: meat  :  its cryovac'd  not on the foam tray.  shipped no doubt that way

this type of paking is appearing more and more at the 3 chains I visit.  each has several butchers cutting meat.

chickens it seems are cut and packed elsewhere for all three chains.  I did not inspect the Chick's

I think the contrasting opinions of Aldi's may reflect differences in the age of the store. And probably also in management. From the pictures, the store that @rotuts shopped at is much better lit and much bigger than my local Aldi's. Ours has been around a long time - over 20 years - so I guess it's an early model. (Inspired by this thread I did a little googling and found an article about the opening of an Aldi's in Syracuse in 1997 that referred to the fact that Cortland already had had a store for a few years.) Many of the products that people refer to are not available in Cortland. I'm going to have to explore the Ithaca store which is only about 7-8 years old - perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

if your not really near by, this is the store you might go to from time to time where you shopped from a list of known items

and stocked up.

I now regret not getting that 4.98 /lbs Beef Rib Meat    ( that might not have been its exact title.  the implication was it was rib meat sans bone  )

beef ribs with bone  are   8.99 +++  in my area  and not much meat.

so Ive never gotten them.   plenty of drool on my part when they are showcased in the SV threads  though

Aldi's  Mayo  is extremely close to Hellman's   I haven't had Best's in a while 

My Hellman's is in the refrig  so I but the Aldi's next to it and will try again tomorrow at similar temps

Fortunately, Im an Extreme Mayo Connoisseur  

:huh:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Aldi's  Mayo  is extremely close to Hellman's   I haven't had Best's in a while 

My Hellman's is in the refrig  so I but the Aldi's next to it and will try again tomorrow at similar temps

Fortunately, Im an Extreme Mayo Connoisseur  

:huh:

Then you should be making your own mayo!

I do not believe I have tried the TJ's Dijon mustard, at least not in a long while. I used to always have grey poupon on hand, but not any more.

HC

I make my own a lot.  Hellman's can't be beat for sandwiches, tot's, home baked large oven fries.

its perfect for that.

for tartar sauce for  soft shell crabs  still wiggling     is another matter.

It seems my Aldi's is on the smaller side.  I remembered there was a video interview of a Chicago Aldi's and it was much bigger.

could not find that video  but there seems to be a Cult of Aldi YouTube'rs

here is one :

http://sarahfit.com/shopping-inside-an-aldi-video/

it shows you a much larger store.

dialogue could be improved.

I think I use mayo mostly for spicy kimchi tartar sauce, coleslaw dressing and potato salad. All those have big vinegar components and I am pretty sure I could not distinguish the mayo used. For deviled eggs, not sure, but still don' think so.

We are having small snack foods for dinner tonight, potato salad, chicken wings and gyoza. I like that I can buy a Kirkwood fresh chicken wing "six pack" at Aldi for $1.99 per lb. They are well over $3.00 for a much bigger pkg just about everywhere else around here.

IMG_0461.thumb.JPG.5114562c6354f2da48af0

HC   how large is your store ?  based on the two vids of a Chicago 'Burs store, mine is quite small.  Ive only found the CHI vid I ref'd

too bad I didn't find the other, as a new reporter went around probably that same store with the manager before it opened.

it was very interesting.   my store is in id say a remote out of the way area with out Big Time Traffic.  it might be a real estate issue re

$ / Sq.Ft.   I don't know if the stores are independently owned.  the map of MA  only show a few stores  in out of the way places.

One of my favorite supermarket items comes from Aldi; their 'Specially Selected' (store brand) Italian bread.  That stuff is GOOOOOOOD!  Less than two bucks, take it home and pop it in the oven for ten minutes. Don't forget the brushetta to slather on top.  OMG!!!  Crispy on the outside, hot and doughy on the inside.  If you want to thank me, and you will, send a check to your favorite charity! :D

The Trader Joe's brushetta is apparently the same as Aldi's BTW.  Get some Two Buck Chuck while you're there.

• Like 1

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

@rotuts Aldi's butter is $1.99/lb,  salted or unsalted, here in Florida.  We use it all the time and I've got no complaints although in occasion, I'll pick up Kerry Gold for use with toasted homemade bread 

You never disclosed the results of your recent foray into the apparently controversial World of Aldi's. What happened?

ETA:  Oops -  just saw your comment. Would love to know the juicy details. Were you robbed? Was the store ransacked? Was the food old and growing mold? Are you scarred for life? LOL 

Edited by kbjesq
Fix typo & add comment (log)

26 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

The one near me is quite small too. Based on Google Earth map it has parking for 90 cars and appears to be 100 ' X  150 '.

HC

https://www.google.com/maps/place/175+River+Rd,+Lisbon,+CT+06351/@41.5851505,-71.9949806,157m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e67782387bede7:0x6779c0c669900d92

Our closest store is about that size.

I think it's a bit smaller than the store it replaced.

6-8 years ago Aldi closed the old store and built the current store near the entrance to the plaza Wal-Mart occupies.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, KikiAnn said:

I rarely post here but avidly read and learn. I take my Mom shopping at Aldi's weekly. For elderly, the experience can be quite frantic. She needs someone to help unload the cart (speed is of the essence - those checkers fly through the process) and afterward, I help pack. Checkers toss items back in the cart and you have to do the bagging at a long counter.

Very valid point. I've noticed that many cashiers are passive aggressive when checking your purchased items and throwing them into the cart (for you to bag later at the long counter). 

I solved this problem by nicely telling each cashier, before I place one item on the conveyor belt, that I've carefully selected all of these items and if they are damaged or manhandled during the checkout process, I will stop right there and request a refund and a consultation with the manager. 

Surprisingly, not only does my preemptive strike work, but I've actually been offered help with packing up my purchases. 

I believe that the majority of Florida residents are very old people. This could explain the special treatment at the checkout? I don't know, it's just a theory 

• Like 2