• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Tere

seems you might have gotten a different brother

I'm aghast at what people are writing here about Aldi's. There are 3 within driving distance and another to open soon, even closer. My zip code is. . .  Well, let's just say that there are a lot of hoity toity, self-appointed upper crust elitist types around these parts and there's no way that Aldi's would be booming like it is (around here) if the stores and products were as bad as described above. 

So my guess is that they have different products available based on zip code. Just for example, I recently bought an excellent Kerry Gold aged  cheddar for only $2.99/lb. The same cheese is sold at the "Full Price" market for $19.99/lb

Last week,  I purchased a 6 lb pork butt for $2.19/lb IIRC and my food snob husband said it was the best that he'd ever tasted (which is a vast data set upon which to base such a proclamation) 

And maybe the stores are different, too? Because in these parts,  the stores are clean and bright and well-stocked with helpful customer assistants. Even the bathrooms are spotless. 

I've never purchased anything there that was deficient, defective or disappointing. But if I did, Aldi's has a100% customer satisfaction guarantee 

I love the Aldi's brand goat cheese, kefir, agave nectar, Chia seeds, flax seeds, pitted Kalamata olives, and organic foods as well as weekly specials on non-food items. A few weeks ago, they were selling the same foot massager for $24.99 that I recently paid over $100 for at Brookstone. 

In sum, it sounds like the Aldi's shopping experience varies wildly based on where you are located. 

Which is a shame, because when it's done right, it's a fabulous place 

• Like 5

Americans?  I was born in the Philadelphia Naval Hospital.

I'm not poor.

1964 to 1995 I was, day for day, 50% in Europe - specifically Germany.

my experience was minor in the growing phase. 

I was there with wife, kids - in German schools - and the family dog.

I've been to the local USA Aldi.

I'm not going back.

for the same reason(s) the European poor would not tolerate or shop at a "store" of such condition. 

the European poor have seriously better options at the town square market.

"Fortunately we won't be able to discuss The Europeans and WWI and WWII "

WTF comma over

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kbjesq said:

And maybe the stores are different, too? Because in these parts,  the stores are clean and bright and well-stocked with helpful customer assistants. Even the bathrooms are spotless. 

I've never purchased anything there that was deficient, defective or disappointing. But if I did, Aldi's has a100% customer satisfaction guarantee 

I love the Aldi's brand goat cheese, kefir, agave nectar, Chia seeds, flax seeds, pitted Kalamata olives, and organic foods as well as weekly specials on non-food items.  

In sum, it sounds like the Aldi's shopping experience varies wildly based on where you are located. 

My experience as well!!!

1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I dont get it. All the Aldis Ive been to have been brightly lit, clean, the produce was fresh and theres never an odor.

I shop there 2 times weekly

39 minutes ago, kbjesq said:

I'm aghast at what people are writing here about Aldi's. There are 3 within driving distance and another to open soon, even closer. My zip code is. . .  Well, let's just say that there are a lot of hoity toity, self-appointed upper crust elitist types around these parts and there's no way that Aldi's would be booming like it is (around here) if the stores and products were as bad as described above. 

So my guess is that they have different products available based on zip code. Just for example, I recently bought an excellent Kerry Gold aged  cheddar for only $2.99/lb. The same cheese is sold at the "Full Price" market for $19.99/lb

Last week,  I purchased a 6 lb pork butt for $2.19/lb IIRC and my food snob husband said it was the best that he'd ever tasted (which is a vast data set upon which to base such a proclamation) 

I love the Aldi's brand goat cheese, kefir, agave nectar, Chia seeds, flax seeds, pitted Kalamata olives, and organic foods as well as weekly specials on non-food items. A few weeks ago, they were selling the same foot massager for $24.99 that I recently paid over $100 for at Brookstone. 

I agree. I love my Aldi. It is clean, brightly lit, and their house brands are sometimes better than national brands. Sometimes not, though. Their "Clubhouse" crackers are much better than the Keebler variety, and their raisin bran is jam-packed with raisins. Their milk is not usually cheaper than Costco, but it's more convenient, so I get milk there.

You can get awesome deals on potatoes and onions and other produce, and I've never seen any substandard produce there. They carry the Artisan lettuce, like Costco does, but in a smaller container. They are expanding their organic selection, and have gradually eliminated things like trans-fats, etc.,from their house-branded products.

A month or so ago, I got some excellent "Japanese" knives there for a really low price. I think a santoku was $7, and a set of paring/utility knives was the same. I got several sets and we are using them as steak/table knives. They're made of good stainless steel and came really sharp out of the package.

I can get chicken parts there for cheap when they have their sales (which they don't call sales). And the chicken is good-quality.

A couple of months ago, I got a boneless Hormel pork shoulder for I can't remember how much, but it was cheaper than any other grocery store in my area.

They have their own "SimplyNature" brand, which is mostly organic. I get their SimplyNature pasta, and their Priano jarred pasta sauce for quick, cheap lunches.

In the winter, they have a spreadable cheddar that is a good bargain and is just as tasty as the Black Diamond white spreadable cheddar you can get at Sam's for much more.

Their cheeses and lunch meats are good quality, and they have frozen salmon filets for a fairly decent price. They are good quality, too.

If you have ANY problems with the stuff you buy at Aldi, you take your receipt back to them, and the product, if any is left, and they will refund your money AND replace the item. I had a pre-seasoned salmon filet from them that was mushy and not fully scaled, and I took it back and got my money back. They offered to replace it, so I was allowed to substitute a different item, since they didn't have the one I hadn't liked, anymore.

Just my two dollars' worth...

• Like 5

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I'm wondering how long ago it was that those who dislike Aldi visited their local store. About 20 years ago, when I was living in St. Louis near Shaw Garden, I had neighbors from Bosnia. They had no car, so I would drive them to Aldi to shop, and we would pantomime our way through their shopping trip, since their English consisted of a few phrases, and my Bosnian was nonexistent. That Aldi, in that time and that location, was depressing.

Currently, I've been to a number of Aldis. None of them have depressed me. They have all been clean, and the employees friendly and helpful.

• Like 1

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

The Aldi here is relatively new, which may be why I don't have the "dark and depressing" and odor issues some of you mention. A friend goes to Missouri, 25 miles away, to get wine at their Aldi, as grocery stores in MO can sell wine but those in AR cannot (what do you expect from a state that's still functioning under a constitution written in 1874?). She contends they have a most excellent Prosecco for $5 a bottle. I've contemplated making that run. 

We have a regional chain of supermarkets here, Hays, which is not my regular grocery (Kroger is) but where I'll periodically go because they have fine specials on meat. I scored Boston butts for 99 cents a pound, ditto pork steaks. Wright's bacon was 4.99 a pound; I bought 10 pounds for the freezer. I keep a close eye on their ads; as pork is the only meat I haven't yet found a local source for the farm version, I'll buy supermarket pork. Not so beef or chicken.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@thock may be on to something. My aunt lives about 20 miles north of me. She moved to Florida about 30 yrs ago, and she refuses to set foot in Aldi's based on her one and only experience, many years ago

I always chalked it up to the fact that she's just my crazy aunt, but maybe things were different then? 

Upon further reflection, I still think that zip code had something to do with it. The stores near me are all less than 10 years old, and 2 of them are less than 3 years old. 

18 minutes ago, thock said:

Kerry Gold aged  cheddar for only $2.99/lb

They have Kerry Gold cheeses here too (Aged Cheddar, Dubliner, Blarney Castle, etc.). But in NO way is it anywhere near $2.99 per pound! Their garbage 'cheddar' and the like is more than that!!!! Their Kerry Gold stuff is more like $2.99 to $3.99 for 3 to 4 ounces!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

28 minutes ago, thock said:

I'm wondering how long ago it was that those who dislike Aldi visited their local store.

I was there a couple times between Thanksgiving and Christmas; for cream and Kerry Gold Dubliner cheese.

The stores here (relatively new stores) aren't what I would call dimly lit and not really dirty overall but there are definitely nasty spots! Nastiness you won't find in other local grocery stores.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I just compared a weekly ad from here (southern tier of New York State) to one in West Palm Beach, Florida.

The ads/featured products...other than the alcoholic beverages in the Florida ads...are essentially the same. Even most prices appear to be the same. 

Aldi gets my business 3x a month.  They impress me a lot, but if I weren't on a fixed income, I wouldn't go there.

Their whole thing is logistics  and moving stuff through their small stores.  Here in St. Louis we are very close to Aldi's US HQ in the Chicago 'burbs, so we get good stuff usually.  Those complaining about quality may live far from a distribution center?

Some of their products are inferior.  Their ice cream leaves a lot to be desired, and their Asian sauces don't look too good on the label.  They probably taste ok, but I'll drive up to the ethnic markets myself.  I rarely buy meat there, but what I've bought was adequate.

The store nearest me was recently redecorated and is always very clean.

Their employees are taken better care of than WM's.  That alone is enough for me to shop there.

Peace, Joe

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

I have friends and family who absolutely LOVE Aldi!

I think it boils down to folks having different standards and preferences.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Folks like what they like!

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I have friends and family who absolutely LOVE Aldi!

I think it boils down to folks having different standards and preferences.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Folks like what they like!

So you're comfortable saying that you have higher standards than any folks who are happy with the Aldi in their neighborhood, and that they just don't know good quality like you do? Pretty easy to say, but completely untenable.

HC

1 minute ago, HungryChris said:

So you're comfortable saying that you have higher standards than any folks who are happy with the Aldi in their neighborhood, and that they just don't know good quality like you do? Pretty easy to say, but completely untenable.

HC

I didn't say anything about 'higher' standards.

Please re-read my post.

I said 'different' standards.

'Standards' and the perception of 'quality' are subjective.

I clearly said there's nothing wrong with folks having different standards and preferences.

If folks are enjoying the food at Aldi and saving money...more power to them!!!! 

I don't consider my personal preferences superior or inferior to the preferences of others. They just are what they are!

• Like 5

Not Aldi, but Lidl, but they occupy the same niche and have almost the same branding so they are pretty interchangeable to me.

I used to live in a very working class ex mining village just on the outskirts of Edinburgh and in 1999 the Lidl there was almost devoid of fresh stuff, the non fresh was housed in grim carts piled high, there was very little choice and it was broken biscuit central. It was nasty. I think it's completely fair to say that these guys have upped their game since then :)

I cherry pick at Aldi's and either like or have found to be a good value the following products:

mixed nuts

pistachios

dill sandwich slices

baby dills

coffee filters

dry milk (has not been stocked recently)

veg oil

prunes

plastic wrap

foil

milk

organic apples

limes

bananas

I buy the following when they are on sale:

avocados 

berries

mangos

crimini mushrooms

I have purchased other produce there as long as it looked good and have not been disappointed except in the bagged onions which seem to develop bad spots quickly. 

I have purchased beef on occasion and thought it was fine. I recently purchased 3 corned beefs on sale, prepared one so far and it was good. 

The staff is helpful and the stores I have patronized seem adequately clean. The check-out lines can be long on the weekends.  

• Like 2

I have been (several times in recent years) in both Aldis in the Asheville area of NC (one has been there quite a while now, the other is relatively new but closer to where I live). A couple of years ago, back when I was less concerned about eating processed foods (though I still read labels for nutrition, HFCS, trans-fats, sugar content, etc.), I bought several packages from their 'holiday assortment' of goods (always piled high as the first aisle when one enters the store) - especially Christmas cookies from Germany and the like - and they all seemed to be decent quality. But, by the time I rounded the bend into the rest of the store, I found the contrast was almost startling - both in terms of quality and in display, so I didn't linger long but paid for what I had from the first aisle and left as I recall. I agree the meat and produce sections were dismal looking to me but I didn't spend a lot of time poking around there and I didn't go in with a specific meat or produce purchase in mind. I don't think they were carrying anything I would call organic at that time.

Could just be the management at different stores is better or worse (some may be better at getting staff to organize the meat/fish/produce areas), or perhaps I just (every time) arrived on the day after a big sale or before their next shipment arrived, or it could just be that I am not really keen on shopping out of cardboard boxes thrown into coolers - not sure - but Aldi's is not my favorite place to shop at the moment. Since some of you are gushing about the stores though, when I go back south, I will check them out again and see if I still feel the same.

I readily admit though that I am generally NOT a bargain hunter type of shopper - I go out of my way for what I perceive to be higher quality or organic ... and if I poke around a grocery store it is to find unique things most often, not to find the cheapest place to get something. I rarely carry a list because I am so used to finding, on arrival at a grocery store, that what I 'planned' on making will not be possible because the store doesn't have a main ingredient, etc. - so I go in looking for 'ideas' that will intrigue me ... and a fresh display of meat/fish and/or produce therefore is important to me in that decision making process. I am also not still feeding a crowd on a daily basis so I have perhaps a bit more leeway to be less concerned about price than quality. That said, I may never be able to see some stores the same way as someone who has different needs, etc. than I do.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

IAldi sucks!

A previous post of mine.....

"My neighbor is a shut-in. I've shopped for her there a few times.

Below is what I've noticed about some of the products she's purchased......

Carbon Monoxide treated fresh meat!

Underweight eggs with the occasional bloody yolk!

Underweight cheese!

Un-graded solution soaked frozen chickens!

Xanathan gum thickened cottage cheese!

Nasty Chinese frozen fish! <Gross>

All around crappy low quality and inconsistent food products!!

The sugar is inferior beet sugar, the flour is inferior as well.

The sour cream was runny,the runniest I've ever seen.

The ham is LOADED with sugar - the equivalent of of almost 1 and 2/3 tablespoons of sugar per pound.

In the produce section, the cauliflower and onions were covered with aspergillus niger (black mold).

Package sizes are often not standard - Frozen broccoli at Aldi is .99 for 12 ounces while the frozen broccoli at the predominant grocery store in this area is .99 for 16 ounces - tricking many people who don't watch package sizes closely into thinking they're getting a better deal.

Many of the frozen foods are freezer burned, or loaded with ice crystals!

Canned sardines full of sandy gritty roe! Yuck!

I wouldn't mention the word Aldi anywhere near her anymore....LOL
She had very bad luck with Aldi stuff over the holidays. (a couple years ago)
She baked a ham from there that literally turned into a cinder because, I think, it had too much added sugar. She actually baked it 25 degrees less than what was recommended because it started to turn black early on, she's no cooking novice and I know that her oven is properly calibrated because she bakes cakes all the time for extra income and always uses an oven thermometer.
She was making something with their cottage cheese that required heating the cottage cheese, it all turned to liquid!!!
Oh, and she bought dog biscuits there that were full of little black beetles that infested her pantry."

What I am saying is that if I had experienced what you mention above, I would not go there either, but this is far from my experience. 

• Like 1

My faves from Aldi

Frozen veggies

Frozen Shrimp

Taco and Fajita Pizzas

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP Bag salads

Celery (mild)

Seasonal and Holiday things

Cheap Olive Oil

Cheap Maple Syrup

Cheap Catfood for the Strays

Fresh Meats

Muffalletta Mix (PERFECTION)

Chipotle Chicken Skewers

CHOCOLATE (MOSER ROTH-PERFECTION)

The Brioches (Vanilla and chocolate)

The Brioche Hamburger Buns

Delicious cold salads (Chicken, Tuna, Seafood and Egg)

Croissants

Beer Bread Mix

Swiss Cheese Crackers

Frozen Salmon when its the entire FILLET

Crispy Chicken Strips

On and on

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

@GlorifiedRice thanks for the tip.  I've seen the muffaletta mix but haven't tried it. Will pick some up on Saturday. 

Haven't tried Aldi's frozen veg -  will also try them. 

The frozen fruit has always been reasonably priced and great for my morning smoothies 

I also really like the chili-lime cashews and the smoked almonds and the various trail mixes and died fruits. 

Agreed that the Moser Roth chocolates are excellent. 

I bought some frozen vegetable pot stickers on my last trip and they were as tasty as those sold at my local Asian market 

The boxes of organic broth are also nice to have on hand for those times when I run out of homemade 

• Like 1

I just got back from my trip to Aldi.

A1.thumb.jpg.fb98591d990e7752294e32e4be6

the carts are on the R  you can't see them   the 25c deposit system is ingenious.  you push a quarter into a slot on the R of the cart.  that pushes out the bracket what

secures the cart.  you do the reverse to get your quarter back.  your quarter travels around with you throughout the store.  this would never work at a busy MegaloMart

they would have to have too many lines of carts,  As simple as this is to do, I noted it was a challenge to some.  too much time wasted by some waiting to

'Hook back Up"

A2.thumb.jpg.aa18556e901a1be9d448a7b1a55

the entrance is on the R in the first pic, and this is what you see entering the store  L view

A3.thumb.jpg.f216fe68377cd89aa2e78de113dA4.thumb.jpg.80884be41770d385b587f77ecc0

this is the key 'Station'  Mayo  1.89   looks a lot like Hellman's to me.  I get 12 or so jars in the spring when they go on sale for

1.99.  there is a limit of 2.  but the cashiers just ring you up 6 times  ( you pay each time ) or you do it yourself at the self check out.  the staff at two large stores

are happy to do this.  so what an idiodic idea from some suit in an office.   if this is  Hellman's, Im pretty much set .

A5.thumb.jpg.3db0e82bae2e94598b3998728aaA6.thumb.jpg.31f654fc5b844a6ae313f28eecb

I got a jar of their mayo, and a bag of these oranges.  2.99    similar bags at TJ's  3.49  MegaloMarts   4.99  when not on sale

look like the same oranges to me

A7.thumb.jpg.b57a82ca373fa8531cf5067e92f

meats, chickens  etc.  the meat on sale was not marked as such, and although I saw nothing wrong with it, it didn't interest me to ask about the sale.

they have refrigerated pizza's in heavy brown cardboard boxes.  except for the labeling these are the same ones at WalMart.  WalMart  frequently

has these at 50 % off so they move well before the sell day.  If Im at The Wall for something else, I do pass buy just in case.  And i have had the

Wall Pepperoni and 3 meats.  its almost free and better then the new take out in my town that replaced a Gem  :  the one that was there for 60 years or more.

Unfortunately, 1/2 off does not mean 1/2 sodium.

I did not check  the soaps/papder items.   they have a long wall of frozen prep' foods  and pet supplies etc.

Asparagus was on sale for 1.29   I took a look   these items are in sealed bags.   the tips did not look tight enough for me, so I passed  they were thick ones

the type I prefer.  but otherwise look fine   no blemishes  etc.   they did have a similar selection of bagged celery.  I didn't even bother to look.

as it was a week day, during the day  there were very few people in the store   the store is not large.

one check out person.  cheerful   but a line  not a bad line, people were friendly  but expect a line.

so over all, nothing wrong with this store.  clean  brightly lit  friendly    

for me the trip over all was 50 minutes   15 miles each way.   the problem, and its a NE problem some times

in out of the way places there is one road  going through town to town.  its two lanes, and as their are hoses right up to the road most of the way, 2 - 3 small towns

that Huge Truck in front of you going 25 is going to make your neck still.  Mine still is.  a couple of Ciders might help

so   unless their are a few items you might want to stock up on   ( mayo for me  maybe )

or its very near  its not going to be a routine stop for me..   butter was 1.99   It sometimes in the past goes to 1.49  or 1.79  \in my area

I get 3 + lbs when that happens   vac-bag   6 / bag and freeze.  take out a stick at a time and re-vac the same bag.

Ive got plenty for a while.

so  nothing wrong at all at my Aldi's in terms of the complaints voiced on this thread.   did not see interesting cheese  for me

TJ's has that more or less covered.  no dirt cheep  Frito's Scoops either  which is a blessing right there.

• Like 7

I rarely post here but avidly read and learn. I take my Mom shopping at Aldi's weekly. For elderly, the experience can be quite frantic. She needs someone to help unload the cart (speed is of the essence - those checkers fly through the process) and afterward, I help pack. Checkers toss items back in the cart and you have to do the bagging at a long counter.

I have found some gems at Aldi's, I can't live without the Clancey (Aldi) brand of queso chili tortilla chips. I do not like their Fit & Active yogurt. I've found good produce - mushrooms, avocados, lemons and limes. They have a small corner of specialty items (refrigerated), and I occasionally find fun items to try.

But the reason for my post: Before Christmas while walking down the non-food section, I found a blender. Called the Ambiano Professional Blender, it looked identical to my Vitamix. Since I had already purchased a $500+ Vitamix, I encouraged Mom to try this model at the $79 price tag. If it under produced as I thought it would we would return it. Out of the box, it looked and felt identical to my Vitamix, tamper and all. I am quite certain my pitcher would fit on this base, although I haven't tested it. Performance? Side by side nearly, mostly exactly, Vitamix quality. We tested it on everything - hot soup, smoothies, frozen. Seventy Nine Bucks.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kbjesq said:

@GlorifiedRice thanks for the tip.  I've seen the muffaletta mix but haven't tried it. Will pick some up on Saturday. 

Haven't tried Aldi's frozen veg -  will also try them. 

The frozen fruit has always been reasonably priced and great for my morning smoothies 

I also really like the chili-lime cashews and the smoked almonds and the various trail mixes and died fruits. 

Agreed that the Moser Roth chocolates are excellent. 

I bought some frozen vegetable pot stickers on my last trip and they were as tasty as those sold at my local Asian market 

The boxes of organic broth are also nice to have on hand for those times when I run out of homemade 

YES! the frozen fruit is also great!

I have 8 slabs of Moser Roth Vanilla Bean white chocolate

Wawa Sizzli FTW!