• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MelissaH

MelissaH

As for the pork belly, we tried the hoisin version for dinner last night (with steamed broccoli and a quick carrot/jicama pickle, and a couscous mixture). 35 minutes in the Breville SmartOven, when the interior tested at 165 °F, then out to pour the rest of the liquid from the package and under the broiler to turn it into a glaze. At least, that was my intent. The liquid was so thin it just ran off the belly, and I kept on seeing little orange poofs inside the oven as if the fat were aerosolizing and bursting into flame. I had no success in getting any kind of a glazed crust. Next time, I'd either use the larger oven (which seems silly, given the size of the belly) or find a different way to cook entirely; possibly heat the packet with the Anova and then toss it into a hot cast-iron skillet?

I still have a pack of the other flavor to experiment with.

MelissaH

MelissaH

My verdict on the Crispy Oats and Honey Nut Crispy Oats: they're OK. Compared to the Wegmans brand, the Honey Nut variety (especially) seems rougher, almost shaggy, on the outside. They're noticeably sweeter. I think I prefer Wegmans enough to spend an extra $0.30 for the box.

As for the pork belly, we tried the hoisin version for dinner last night (with steamed broccoli and a quick carrot/jicama pickle, and a couscous mixture). 35 minutes in the Breville SmartOven, when the interior tested at 165 °F, then out to pour the rest of the liquid from the package and under the broiler to turn it into a glaze. At least, that was my intent. The liquid was so thin it just ran off the belly, and I kept on seeing little orange poofs inside the oven as if the fat were aerosolizing and bursting into flame. I had no success in getting any kind of a glazed crust. Next time, I'd either use the larger oven (which seems silly, given the size of the belly) or find a different way to cook entirely; possibly heat the packet with the Anova and then toss it into a hot cast-iron skillet?

I still have a pack of the other flavor to experiment with.