• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Toliver

Toliver

I visited my local Aldi after I got off work last night. 

I was floored, dumbfounded and just plain flummoxed to find out that this new Aldi was in the same shopping center as a SUPER WALMART. O.o :o :S

Really? 

I wonder who the marketing genius was at Aldi who thought opening a new location in that shopping center was such a brilliant idea? Instead of calling this store "Aldi" they should rename it "Edsel" for all the good it will do.

Here are the pics I took during my visit (sorry that they are not nice cleanly-focused images...they were taken with my iPod :B):

Below, the new and shiny building with oodles of parking...because everyone else is parked over at the Super Walmart. ¬¬ xD

Aldi_1.jpg

Here are the quarter-for-a-cart carts. I was expecting more of a rail thing like you see at airports, but it's quick to use.

Aldi_2.jpg

Nuts on the left, crackers, and then chocolate on the right. Wine on the left a little further down.

Aldi_4.jpg

The produce didn't look anemic or old and had mostly reasonable prices.

Aldi_3.jpg

An poorly focused picture of juices, deli meats, cheese, hummus with packages of chicken in its own mini case at the far end.

Aldi_5.jpg

The Porterhouse which was on sale...technically, they were called "T-Bones" since the filet portion wasn't very large. The meat was cryovac'd and I thought the thickness was good. It had a "Sell by" date of Aug. 3rd which I thought was good.

Aldi_6.jpg

Below, this is the opposite corner of the store from the entrance. Frozen meats, foods, veggies, etc, on the right along with milk, eggs, etc. That's an employee walking away with a clipboard who was checking inventory. The employees were all supremely nice and helpful.

Aldi_7.jpg

Below, the checkout registers. Only Register 1 was open and I thought the cashier was rather diminutive but saw, when I went to check out, she was sitting in a chair! Really?

As mentioned by others, the check-out is odd. You can provide your own grocery bags, or buy from them paper bags for 10 cents or plastic bags for 15 cents. The checked items get put into a cart next to the cashier and your now-empty cart swaps with that cart and becomes the cashier's new cart. You move "your" filled cart over to a large shelf against the windows where you bag your own groceries. Then when you leave the store you take your bags out of the cart and push the cart back into the line of carts, connect the orange thingy on the handle to the previous cart and a quarter pops out which is now yours. Ta-da!

Aldi_8.jpg

It was a nice, new clean store with no discernible odor. The employees were practically begging people to come back for more shopping. It's no wonder since all of their potential customers are busy shopping at the SUPER WALMART IN THE SAME SHOPPING CENTER. Doy! and Doh!

I thought prices were good to great on some items. They certainly beat Walmart on many grocery items. They did carry some common name brands of goods but most of what they sold was their own "knock-off" brand of popular items. I bought a bag of their faux Cheetos and will post in the snacking thread how they taste.

I did see the 19.99 dehydrator on sale but passed on it since I'd owned a dehydrator before that has the same plastic trays (hard brittle plastic) and didn't like them then and wouldn't like them now. And of course, it was an Aldi house brand so I have no idea about it in regards to quality or how it works.

I'd go back to shop there but it won't be very regularly. It's on the complete opposite side of town from where I live and I don't get to that side of town very often.

edited to add that there were four aisles in the store (which I didn't show in my pics). The entire store was similar in size to my local Trader Joe's store.

Toliver

Toliver

I visited my local Aldi after I got off work last night. 

I was floored, dumbfounded and just plain flummoxed to find out that this new Aldi was in the same shopping center as a SUPER WALMART. O.o :o :S

Really? 

I wonder who the marketing genius was at Aldi who thought opening a new location in that shopping center was such a brilliant idea? Instead of calling this store "Aldi" they should rename it "Edsel" for all the good it will do.

Here are the pics I took during my visit (sorry that they are not nice cleanly-focused images...they were taken with my iPod :B):

Below, the new and shiny building with oodles of parking...because everyone else is parked over at the Super Walmart. ¬¬ xD

Aldi_1.jpg

Here are the quarter-for-a-cart carts. I was expecting more of a rail thing like you see at airports, but it's quick to use.

Aldi_2.jpg

Nuts on the left, crackers, and then chocolate on the right. Wine on the left a little further down.

Aldi_4.jpg

The produce didn't look anemic or old and had mostly reasonable prices.

Aldi_3.jpg

An poorly focused picture of juices, deli meats, cheese, hummus with packages of chicken in its own mini case at the far end.

Aldi_5.jpg

The Porterhouse which was on sale...technically, they were called "T-Bones" since the filet portion wasn't very large. The meat was cryovac'd and I thought the thickness was good. It had a "Sell by" date of Aug. 3rd which I thought was good.

Aldi_6.jpg

Below, this is the opposite corner of the store from the entrance. Frozen meats, foods, veggies, etc, on the right along with milk, eggs, etc. That's an employee walking away with a clipboard who was checking inventory. The employees were all supremely nice and helpful.

Aldi_7.jpg

Below, the checkout registers. Only Register 1 was open and I thought the cashier was rather diminutive but saw, when I went to check out, she was sitting in a chair! Really?

As mentioned by others, the check-out is odd. You can provide your own grocery bags, or buy from them paper bags for 10 cents or plastic bags for 15 cents. The checked items get put into a cart next to the cashier and your now-empty cart swaps with that cart and becomes the cashier's new cart. You move "your" filled cart over to a large shelf against the windows where you bag your own groceries. Then when you leave the store you take your bags out of the cart and push the cart back into the line of carts, connect the orange thingy on the handle to the previous cart and a quarter pops out which is now yours. Ta-da!

Aldi_8.jpg

It was a nice, new clean store with no discernible odor. The employees were practically begging people to come back for more shopping. It's no wonder since all of their potential customers are busy shopping at the SUPER WALMART IN THE SAME SHOPPING CENTER. Doy! and Doh!

I thought prices were good to great on some items. They certainly beat Walmart on many grocery items. They did carry some common name brands of goods but most of what they sold was their own "knock-off" brand of popular items. I bought a bag of their faux Cheetos and will post in the snacking thread how they taste.

I did see the 19.99 dehydrator on sale but passed on it since I'd owned a dehydrator before that has the same plastic trays (hard brittle plastic) and didn't like them then and wouldn't like them now. And of course, it was an Aldi house brand so I have no idea about it in regards to quality or how it works.

I'd go back to shop there but it won't be very regularly. It's on the complete opposite side of town from where I live and I don't get to that side of town very often.