• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I made "something", is it safe to eat?

GlorifiedRice

Hi,

I was messing around in the kitchen this am.

I warmed up a bowl of 2 cups heavy cream to 90 degrees F and added 2 heaping tablespoons yogurt and the liquid from the top.

Wrapped it with plastic wrap and left it in the warm (warm from the light underneath) microwave for 6 hours. It actually got thick

like Crema, then I put it in the fridge and now its very thick like non Greek yogurt.

Its luxurious looking but the 6 hours scare me.

Should it be okay to taste?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

You basically just made yoghurt with cream. Fermented milk products are generally very much safe to eat even with the part of keeping them in warm places that contradict our usual habit of keeping milk products in the fridge. The sourness actually is a sign of lactic acid bacteria which inhibit the growth of some other possibly harmful bacteria. So unless your cream was unpasteurized, you should definitely be safe.

• Like 2

That's not only going to be perfectly safe, it's going to be perfectly delicious.  Cultured cream yoghurt is marvellous and if you let it sit a little longer, it becomes cultured sour cream.

• Like 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

9 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'd be curious to know how much butter you end up with.

Four cups of cream plus a half cup of yogurt makes about 3/4lb. I'd say between 1/4 and 1/3 lb, depending on the fat content of the yogurt.

Whenever I make it, I get less, somehow. I need to get better cream...

It took,15 MINUTES to separate into butter and buttermilk, and I had to beat it 3 times to get it all out.

However, It make 1-1/2 (maybe 1/3) cups butter and that buttermilk WAS the flavor of Buttermilk.

And I LOVE buttermilk with salt and pepper...

What a cool experiment!

• Like 3

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Neat experiment.  I'll try just about anything once.  Do you remember what the fat % was of the yogurt you used?  Was it a Greek style yogurt or a regular one?  I used to buy cultured butter all the time but stopped when they started charging over $7 a pound.

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Neat experiment.  I'll try just about anything once.  Do you remember what the fat % was of the yogurt you used?  Was it a Greek style yogurt or a regular one?  I used to buy cultured butter all the time but stopped when they started charging over $7 a pound.

Elsie I use only full fat Dannon Oikos plain.

I used 2 heaping Tablespoons to 2 cups cream

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I'm glad you like it! This is always a good trick to have up one's sleeve. Serving house-made butter always impresses people, the thought of it and the flavor. I have done it for my popups with great success.

I always keep an eye out for cream on sale.