• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Panaderia Canadiense - Salt Cod, Squash, and Sweets: Semana Santa in the Sierra

I am very impressed with your food, the street food, and your blogging and baking capabilities!  Thank you so much for doing this, and do please thank all your friends who allowed their photos to be taken!

I'm interested in (actually, covetous of) Belén's cooking pots.  It looks like one is aluminum and the smaller is copper.  Is that right?  Do those pots have a name?  Not that I have need of any, but they'd look mighty cool in either of my kitchens.  :B

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm interested in (actually, covetous of) Belén's cooking pots.  It looks like one is aluminum and the smaller is copper.  Is that right?  Do those pots have a name?  Not that I have need of any, but they'd look mighty cool in either of my kitchens.  :B

Those pots are of a type collectively called "paila" - they're actually small examples of the genre.  The big one is brushed aluminum, and the smaller one is handmade beaten brass.  Paila are the go-to pots for shallow-fat frying; larger cast-iron ones are where fritada is made, and the brass ones are the paila used for making traditional helado de paila - a fruit sherbet invented in Ecuador; this involves whirling large brass pailas full of fruit juice over ice.

• Like 3

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Folks, Panaderia Canadiense's wonderful (and exhausting, inspiring, and applause-worthy) food blog will be winding down in a few hours.  If you have any last questions, comments or thanks, you have a few hours to do so; we plan to lock the topic at around 6 p.m. Central time.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

When I use oregano, it is the Mexican version rather than the typical one used in Italian cooking.  is the Mexican one used there as well?  I love the lighter almost floral aroma and taste  and now the other seems harsh.

Again, thanks so very much for this blog.  Things like this are the very best of this place.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

When I use oregano, it is the Mexican version rather than the typical one used in Italian cooking.  is the Mexican one used there as well?  I love the lighter almost floral aroma and taste  and now the other seems harsh.

Again, thanks so very much for this blog.  Things like this are the very best of this place.

We've got both Mexican (marjoram) and Italian oregano here, and to make it even weirder, Ecuadorians refer to Thyme as "sweet oregano."  I use all three, as do Ecuadorians - Marjoram is used fresh, oregano dried, and thyme is usually dried and ground.

• Like 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Fabulous, fabulous blog.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

By the way, I am seriously jonesing for cheesecake after that photo of yours!

• Like 4

@Panaderia Canadiense Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed your blog!

• Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!