• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected the spelling of Ecuador. Even though the original error is reproduced below, I'm too embarrassed to let it stand. D'oh!

I hope I'm not asking another question that's already been answered.  Your posts show a great variety of fresh produce and readily available fresh meats (except during High Holy Week :smile:).  I don't see as much mention of seasonings, although Maggi (in multiple forms) and cinnamon have been mentioned.  Is there a  combination of seasonings that is characteristic of Ecuadorean food, or does the cuisine rely mostly on the flavors of the ingredients themselves?

I'm also curious - if you have time to pursue it - about whether most farmers there are independent, work in a cooperative group, or are farming for some much larger corporation such as those that send so much produce up our way.  Is Fair Trade a food pricing issue there?

Jumping to yet another point - were you just lucky to find a house with that lovely kitchen and counter, or did you have that built? I do love the look of that quartz counter!

Thanks for a fascinating and vicariously exhausting look at your world.  It would be impressive under any circumstances, but it's trebly so during this week. 

Smithy

Smithy

I hope I'm not asking another question that's already been answered.  Your posts show a great variety of fresh produce and readily available fresh meats (except during High Holy Week :smile:).  I don't see as much mention of seasonings, although Maggi (in multiple forms) and cinnamon have been mentioned.  Is there a  combination of seasonings that is characteristic of Equadorean food, or does the cuisine rely mostly on the flavors of the ingredients themselves?

I'm also curious - if you have time to pursue it - about whether most farmers there are independent, work in a cooperative group, or are farming for some much larger corporation such as those that send so much produce up our way.  Is Fair Trade a food pricing issue there?

Jumping to yet another point - were you just lucky to find a house with that lovely kitchen and counter, or did you have that built? I do love the look of that quartz counter!

Thanks for a fascinating and vicariously exhausting look at your world.  It would be impressive under any circumstances, but it's trebly so during this week.