• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

LindaK

LindaK

PanCan, looking carefully at the long list of ingredients in fanesca, I see that the legumes include lupini beans.  The directions simply say "peeled."

The lupini beans I know are popular in Italian cuisine, but they require some pretty careful preparation to rid them of toxins and bitterness--up to a week of post-cooking soaking!  I did a quick search here and found this from @andiesenji. Worth clicking and reading the whole thing.

Your recipe doesn;t mention anything about this--I wonder if this explains the long cooking of fanesca and the gunk that builds up on the sides of the pot.

Any advice?  I know I can find lupini beans, but don't want to ruin the dish or poison myself.  xD

LindaK

LindaK

PanCan, looking carefully at the long list of ingredients in fanesca, I see that the legumes include lupini beans.  The directions simply say "peeled."

The lupini beans I know are popular in Italian cuisine, but they require some pretty careful preparation to rid them of toxins and bitterness--up to a week of post-cooking soaking!  I did a quick search here and found this from andiesenji. Worth clicking and reading the whole thing.

Your recipe doesn;t mention anything about this--I wonder if this explains the long cooking of fanesca and the gunk that builds up on the sides of the pot.

Any advice?  I know I can find lupini beans, but don't want to ruin the dish or poison myself.  xD