• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kbjesq

kbjesq

Add comment

11 hours ago, Deryn said:

My heart is now in the highlands (of Ecuador). I have run out of superlatives with which to vary the compliments I owe our esteemed Ecua-exCan 'baker'/travel guide/photographer/chronicler extraordinaire. Again, thanks for what I think has been the most fascinating and comprehensive eGullet foodblog (and there have been many amazing ones) I have ever read. 

I agree with @Deryn! I've run out of words, I'm speechless.  I'm literally crying tears though, thinking about the dismal and overpriced cellophane-wrapped-on-styrofoam-tray vegetables (dented yellow summer squash and limp asparagus)  that my spouse bought for dinner last night at our local Publix supermarket. And the very depressing and expensive lunch from the hospital cafeteria that I ate in desperation yesterday (I'd forgotten my bento lunch bag in the fridge, which often happens when I leave at 0430)

Had I been in Ecuador, I could at least have had tiffin service!  Oh dear Ecuador, I hope you have room for one more, because I'm coming to visit you ASAP 

PS love the biodegradable on-the-go lunch bags.  The hospital uses disposable (non-degradable,  non-recyclable) white styrofoam trays and plastic sporks. No knives allowed. And you can't bring your own -  as of 2 months ago, all bags (even for doctors and nurses) are searched by security upon entry to the building. They're mainly looking for weapons and drugs but they will confiscate metal utensils. O.o  

PS I'm going to make a bastardized version of Fanesca later today in my instant pot, one of the major omissions will be salt cod because it's not sold around here.  And yes, I'll have to substitute acorn squash. :(  Also +1 for Maggi seasonings, I'm a big fan and looking forward to trying the Ecuador versions! 

kbjesq

kbjesq

11 hours ago, Deryn said:

My heart is now in the highlands (of Ecuador). I have run out of superlatives with which to vary the compliments I owe our esteemed Ecua-exCan 'baker'/travel guide/photographer/chronicler extraordinaire. Again, thanks for what I think has been the most fascinating and comprehensive eGullet foodblog (and there have been many amazing ones) I have ever read. 

I agree with @Deryn! I've run out of words, I'm speechless.  I'm literally crying tears though, thinking about the dismal and overpriced cellophane-wrapped-on-styrofoam-tray vegetables (dented yellow summer squash and limp asparagus)  that my spouse bought for dinner last night at our local Publix supermarket. And the very depressing and expensive lunch from the hospital cafeteria that I ate in desperation yesterday (I'd forgotten my bento lunch bag in the fridge, which often happens when I leave at 0430)

Had I been in Ecuador, I could at least have had tiffin service!  Oh dear Ecuador, I hope you have room for one more, because I'm coming to visit you ASAP 

PS love the biodegradable on-the-go lunch bags.  The hospital uses disposable (non-degradable,  non-recyclable) white styrofoam trays and plastic sporks. No knives allowed. And you can't bring your own -  as of 2 months ago, all bags (even for doctors and nurses) are searched by security upon entry to the building. They're mainly looking for weapons and drugs but they will confiscate metal utensils. O.o